The Student Room Group

Future of religion in the UK?

There's a lot of uncertainty regarding how the future of religions in the UK will be. Say in the year 2050, how do you guys think things will be? We will be middle aged and hoping our kids have gone off to university by this age. Even though it seems a long way away, it really isn't in terms of how long religion has been in the UK since the beginning.

What will be different, if anything?

EDIT: I mostly mean in terms of religious adherence and practice.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hitchen
There's a lot of uncertainty regarding how the future of religions in the UK will be. Say in the year 2050, how do you guys think things will be? We will be middle aged and hoping our kids have gone off to university by this age. Even though it seems a long way away, it really isn't in terms of how long religion has been in the UK since the beginning.

What will be different, if anything?

I think that the only religion that'll be affected will be Islam due to all the Islamophobia going around in recent decades.
Reply 2
I hope everyone will have moved past religions by then.
Reply 3
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
I think that the only religion that'll be affected will be Islam due to all the Islamophobia going around in recent decades.

Affected in what way?

So are you saying that Islam will be the only religious group to lose adherents by then?
I think Christianity will be all but dead in the UK by 2050.

Most of the population will be irreligious/athiest. But I predict that Islam will probably be the largest active religion in the UK by 2050, mostly due to greater birth rates.

The less religious a society, the more progressive. In my opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by SCIENCE :D

Most of the population will be irreligious/athiest. But I predict that Islam will probably be the largest active religion in the UK by 2050, mostly due to greater birth rates.

Yes that's what I think too. I mean if you think about it, most of the people aged 55+ will be dead, and we will be in that age bracket. Think how many people our age are non-religious. Our kids to be born will learn from us and will probably also be irreligious.
Original post by hitchen
Yes that's what I think too. I mean if you think about it, most of the people aged 55+ will be dead, and we will be in that age bracket. Think how many people our age are non-religious. Our kids to be born will learn from us and will probably also be irreligious.

Yeah exactly. Most the people I know my age are irreligious. I don't know any practicing Christians and only a handful of practicing Muslims.
the NHS will become a full religion
Reply 8
Non-religious groups will likely be the largest, and the largest active religion will likely be Islam. London is currently 20% Muslim, and i'd predict it may be 30% by 2050.

The royal family will still live on and due to that the Church of England will still be a thing from my point of view.
The royal family will still live on and due to that the Church of England will still be a thing from my point of view.

I honestly don't think the royal family will be around in 30 years time (thankfully).

Most royalists are 55+ and so are most followers of Church of England. Catholicism will have a stronger base than CofE largely due to Polish and African immigration.
Reply 11

Yes maybe it will still be a state religion even though less than 10% of people will identify with it. They will just say that it is part of tradition for this country.
Original post by Tawheed
Non-religious groups will likely be the largest, and the largest active religion will likely be Islam. London is currently 20% Muslim, and i'd predict it may be 30% by 2050.

30% in London by 2050 or 30% in the UK as a whole by 2050?
Reply 13

It probably won't be 30% for the UK as a whole.

Maybe 15% is a more realistic estimate.

The Muslim fertility rate isn't as high as most people think it is.
It's around 3, compared to a UK average of 1.8

It is still a lot higher than average and by far higher than all other religious groups.

People like Tommy Robinson said it was like 7??? That's what it is in Nigeria.
Original post by hitchen
It probably won't be 30% for the UK as a whole.

Maybe 15% is a more realistic estimate.

The Muslim fertility rate isn't as high as most people think it is.
It's around 3, compared to a UK average of 1.8

It is still a lot higher than average and by far higher than all other religious groups.

People like Tommy Robinson said it was like 7??? That's what it is in Nigeria.

Personally I think it is higher than 3, but I wouldn't say it is as high as 7.

Orthodox Jews have the highest fertility rate out of every group.
Reply 15
Middle aged? In 2050, I'll be 63.

Anyway, I'll still be banging on about Buddhism.

London
Original post by karmendes
Islam will be affected badly due to Islamophobia becoming more dominant in society unfortunately. Who knows if it becomes a white-dominated area as more and more people hate Muslims so maybe less people will become muslim
true because everyone who is not white must be muslim.. 🙄
Moved to Society
Reply 19
I also doubt it will wipe them out. I mean people don't renounce their religion based on what others perceive of them. They renounce it based on what they personally believe.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending