The Student Room Group

Death penalty

should we bring back the death penalty for serious crimes. such as knife/gun crime, peadofiles and rape.

Scroll to see replies

No, violence shouldn’t be resolved through more violence. Also the perpetrator will never have a chance to learn from their mistakes. What they do may be beyond shocking but we should forgive and teach them what is right.
Reply 2
peadofiles never change you mad.... they fancy children it's wrong and you want to kill someone and take their life.... yours should be taken too because you have ruin their families life's so yours should be ruined too.... plus it would bring down gang crime.... i live f***ing London, its a death zone
Original post by Anonymous
should we bring back the death penalty for serious crimes. such as knife/gun crime, peadofiles and rape.

Why anonymous?

Maybe put a poll up so people can vote?
I would honestly gladly bring back death penalties for child molesters.
I'm aware my point of view is very extreme here and most disagree, but they are a waste of space and money.

I'd like to point out, only if there is a 100% evidence they did it. I know being wrongly prosecuted is a big issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
death penalty is not a bad option seeing as gang violence has risen scarily these past months
For murder and child crimes and possibly rape yes. Only if it was 100% though and there's no chance they are innocent e.g. being caught in the act of killing someone or doing things to a child.
Reply 7
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I would honestly gladly bring back death penalties for child molesters.
I'm aware my point of view is very extreme here and most disagree, but they are a waste of space and money.

I'd like to point out, only if there is a 100% evidence they did it. I know being wrongly prosecuted is a big issue.

In what way is a potentially significant contributer to society in their occupation - say they're an architect , engineer - 'a waste of space and money'?

A fondle must mean the gallows? Have you not heard of criminal thinking ’Better to be hung for a sheep than a lamb'? i.e. if an even worse crime has the same punishment then criminals as a whole are logically more likely than they would have been to escalate towards the worse thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Picnicl
In what way is a potentially significant contributer to society in their occupation - say they're an architect , engineer - 'a waste of space and money'?

Please, are you going to hire someone who rapes children?
Tell me, what decent business would.
I don't care if they're the next Nicola Tesla. They raped a ****ing child.
That person will be unhireable to most people, they're a waste.
Reply 9
Original post by DrawTheLine
For murder and child crimes and possibly rape yes. Only if it was 100% though and there's no chance they are innocent e.g. being caught in the act of killing someone or doing things to a child.

All convictions are already beyond reasonable doubt yet some are clearly shown, after the event, to have been made in error.

You cannot define your 100%, nobody can, so what happens to your conviction rates when the jury knows a guilty verdict condemns the accused to death?

So, do you convict on a confession?
Original post by DJKL
All convictions are already beyond reasonable doubt yet some are clearly shown, after the event, to have been made in error.

You cannot define your 100%, nobody can, so what happens to your conviction rates when the jury knows a guilty verdict condemns the accused to death?

Idk I'm not a lawyer.
Original post by DJKL

Hold on. So from vaginal or anal swabs showing DNA of the person being accused isn't 100%? (Regarding child rape)
Reply 12
Original post by DrawTheLine
Idk I'm not a lawyer.

All you have to ask yourself is how would you feel if you had say served on the jury of the Guildford Four, they had been convicted and then hanged and years later it is determined their conviction is unsafe, they are dead, partly your decision, you cannot bring them back, this then haunts and ruins the remainder of your life.

Irrespective of the crime I would 100% prefer the convicted to rot in jail rather than have even the possibility of convicting and killing an innocent individual.

I am sure others will differ but frankly I could not bring myself to sit on a jury where a possible outcome was the murder of someone innocent, however remote the chance/probability etc, humans are fallible, they make mistakes, I could not live with myself making such a mistake.
For extreme crimes yes. I don’t want my tax money to go towards keeping people like Ian Brady in prison.
Original post by Andrew97
For extreme crimes yes. I don’t want my tax money to go towards keeping people like Ian Brady in prison.

Preach. Exactly what I'm talking about.
Reply 15
Hold on. So from vaginal or anal swabs showing DNA of the person being accused isn't 100%? (Regarding child rape)

I would say no, not 100%, incredibly probable yes, but I cannot conceive of all possible (not probable, possible) permutations of events that would possibly leave a DNA trace of say a parent re a very small child in their care.

You also have mistakes re chain of evidence to consider, malicious intent of others, collusion of authorities, errors, mistakes, all very unlikely, near improbable, but all reducing by the nth degree your 100% to something less than 100%.
Original post by DJKL
I would say no, not 100%, incredibly probable yes, but I cannot conceive of all possible (not probable, possible) permutations of events that would possibly leave a DNA trace of say a parent re a very small child in their care.

You also have mistakes re chain of evidence to consider, malicious intent of others, collusion of authorities, errors, mistakes, all very unlikely, near improbable, but all reducing by the nth degree your 100% to something less than 100%.

Sorry mate, the actual chance of it being anything other than rape (how else do you get DNA of your sperm or penis there?)
Is too low.
We should. What's the point in spending millions in keeping these horrible people in a building for 30 years. It is much effective to get rid of them. I am actually doing a presentation in this topic.
Reply 18
Sorry mate, the actual chance of it being anything other than rape (how else do you get DNA of your sperm or penis there?)
Is too low.

You are framed by your spouse for one.

I am not saying likely, merely that 100% is a bar that is pretty hard (impossible) to reach, the DNA convicts beyond reasonable doubt but that test is not 100% otherwise there would be no convictions ever, the defence would merely need to postulate one alternative possibility (however improbable) and your 100% test fails.
Please, are you going to hire someone who rapes children?
Tell me, what decent business would.
I don't care if they're the next Nicola Tesla. They raped a ****ing child.
That person will be unhireable to most people, they're a waste.

You went from molestation to now rape. The perpetrator of the former violation can often be rehabilitated, it can come from a loving touch too far (I only mean when the victim is about 14 years+). The latter have exerted an intrusive, insidious, powercrazed, violent, often threatening, potentially reproductive and infectious and every way disgusting crime that is in a different category, although the line between can become slight particularly if the criminal has repeated access to the victim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending