The Student Room Group

Where to find conservatives?

Where are all the conservatives?

They keep being voted in, so people must support them. Supporting conservative causes in colleges and universities is rock and roll now.

I walk around and big organisations are full of liberals, but I'm yet to meet one person supporting conservative views openly. Why do you think that is? There must be a lot of conservatives everywhere around us, but maybe they're afraid to say so...

Scroll to see replies

ralph lauren shop

rugby club

your uni's polo team

economics class

the private school dating app

...exeter

winston churchill said

if you aren't liberal in your youth you have no heart, if you aren't conservative when you're older you have no brain
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dreamer20
ralph lauren shop

rugby club

your uni's polo team

economics class

the private school dating app

...exeter

winston churchill said

if you aren't liberal in your youth you have no heart, if you aren't conservative when you're older you have no brain

Yeah, no.
There has long been acknowledged to be the phenomenon of the disguised Conservative. Opinion polls in several general elections (apart from 2017) underestimated their vote- take 1970,1992 and 2015 as particular examples.
Conservative opinions are very popular (see election results), but people are often afraid to voice them publicly. Liberal/left-wing opinions dominate television, universities, and so on, which can be intimidating to conservatives, particularly as conservatives can be painted as immoral people.
Reply 5
Original post by Dandaman1
Conservative opinions are very popular (see election results), but people are often afraid to voice them publicly. Liberal/left-wing opinions dominate television, universities, and so on, which can be intimidating to conservatives, particularly as conservatives can be painted as immoral people.

Good answer.
Reply 6
your school doesn't have a student society? if not, maybe start one.
Wasn't it Milo Y that said coming out as a conservative at Uni today is more socially ostracizing than coming out as gay in the 1950's?
Funny how things change. Right wing bigots held sway in the 50's and Left wing bigots hold sway today.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by libertycon

I walk around and big organisations are full of liberals, but I'm yet to meet one person supporting conservative views openly. Why do you think that is? There must be a lot of conservatives everywhere around us, but maybe they're afraid to say so...

I don't think the country does support Conservative views openly. I think however there are a few things going on. Firstly most of the Tory seats are safe seats with just enough support to guarantee their MPs always get in. Secondly at times of political indifference the Tories are like the classic burger on an uninspiring menu. It is the least worse option and doesn't cost that much so nothing lost.
Reply 9
Original post by Just my opinion
Wasn't it Milo Y that said coming out as a conservative at Uni today is more socially ostracizing than coming out as gay in the 1950's?
Funny how things change. Right wing bigots held sway in the 50's and Left wing bigots hold sway today.

okay but just because he said it, doesn't mean it's true. i think the media and right-wingers in social media want conservatives to think everyone is against them, so they can 'unite' as the newly oppressed. liberals really don't care about you, unless you're promoting violence, racism, sexism, etc. if you're presenting good arguments all is fair.

case in point, i'm the lefty feminist in this conversation, and i'm the one who encouraged the OP to start his own conservative student society, because i'm not bothered by different political opinions, but i am bothered by whinging.
(edited 5 years ago)
A lefty feminist thats bothered by whinging?
Definition of an oxymoron.
(edited 5 years ago)

What would be good examples of conservative opinions these days?
Reply 12
Original post by Joleee
okay but just because he said it, doesn't mean it's true. i think the media and right-wingers in social media want conservatives to think everyone is against them, so they can 'unite' as the newly oppressed. liberals really don't care about you, unless you're promoting violence, racism, sexism, etc. if you're presenting good arguments all is fair.

case in point, i'm the lefty feminist in this conversation, and i'm the one who encouraged the OP to start his own conservative student society, because i'm not bothered by different political opinions, but i am bothered by whinging.

Just prefacing this, I am a liberal, not a tory.

Some on the far left define promotion of sexism or racism very broadly.
My best friend told me I was being racist to him when I said, as an atheist, that Islam as a religion is AS BAD as christianity.

Not worse, just as bad

Yeh but conservatives have a victim complex, we agree there.
(edited 5 years ago)

Just how weak does someone have to be to be afarid to voice their opinion publicly or be intimidated by liberal/left wing opinions? You present conservatives as people who really need to get a backbone.
Reply 14
Original post by UMunR

Some on the far left promotion of sexism or racism very broadly.
My best friend told me I was being racist to him when I said, as an atheist, that Islam as a religion is AS BAD as christianity.

oh dear lord, your friend's an idiot (no offence :smile:).

i think my school is quite liberal, but mind you i speak to less than 30 people on a regular basis, so i wouldn't know where most students sit on the political spectrum. i know for sure we have at least one conservative student society, and i personally have a friend who voted for Brexit because he figured it would get him a job after (we're studying law). i think he's an idiot for sure, but it's not like we can't be friends.

on that note, i think both sides are guilty of playing identity politics, so maybe OP should start a student society but name it something not related to a political identity, i mean if he doesn't want to play that game. it would be very hypocritical of him.
Reply 15
Original post by Axiomasher
What would be good examples of conservative opinions these days?

Question not addressed to me but why not answer. Social benefits that encourage/force people into work.
Reply 16
Original post by Joleee
oh dear lord, your friend's an idiot (no offence :smile:).

i think my school is quite liberal, but mind you i speak to less than 30 people on a regular basis, so i wouldn't know where most students sit on the political spectrum. i know for sure we have at least one conservative student society, and i personally have a friend who voted for Brexit because he figured it would get him a job after (we're studying law). i think he's an idiot for sure, but it's not like we can't be friends.

on that note, i think both sides are guilty of playing identity politics, so maybe OP should start a student society but name it something not related to a political identity, i mean if he doesn't want to play that game. it would be very hypocritical of him.

Yes, yes he is.

Totally agree on everything you said. Conservatives are just as guilty.
Original post by libertycon
Question not addressed to me but why not answer. Social benefits that encourage/force people into work.

Ok, that's a start, anything else?
Hmm right here...
But, I would certainly not say it in a university environment publicly because:
UCU members striking were probably anti-conservative
The marxist society organise events in the library square such as : Protest against Donald Trump, Protest against Jacob Rees Moggs etc.
This is my experience now and I think a lot of the time if you said you were a conservative you would be almost forced to debate to defend your support for the party/your views which gets tiring after a while and is something you don't really have time for every day.
Reply 19
Original post by Axiomasher
Ok, that's a start, anything else?

Lets not make this a game...a few more examples:
- People being hired based on ability, not gender or race (as opposed to liberal positive discrimination.
- Free markets and private enterprise deliver more prosperity and fight poverty than public ownership.
- It is unethical and immoral for government to fund embryonic stem cell research.
- Until we develop our renewable energy technologies to depend on them as main sources of energy, coal, oil and gas are good for use.
- Taxes should only support necessities like roads, the police force and fire services, allowing people take responsibility for their lives.
- Ensure adherence to rules, e.g. allow legal immigration only.

I'm wondering now what political group supports the idea that if a person stopped behaving like a human being, e.g. a murderer, they shouldn't be treated like a human in prison and be on par with people committing lesser crimes like theft.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending