The Student Room Group

Death penalty - should we keep it?

Poll

Should we keep it?

Whats your opinion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely to keep it we'd need to already have it?
Reply 2
Original post by Dheorl
Surely to keep it we'd need to already have it?

They do have it? In America I mean
Reply 3
Original post by Heidi_16

Plenty of places have it, just normally the society section is more around British society. I didn't really when you said "we" you meant the human race.
I voted no but I wish I could vote yes.
Colin Stagg
Stefan kiszko
The Tottenham two
The Bridgewater three
The Guildford four
The Birmingham six
The Maguire seven.
These all go to show that a combination of a corrupt judiciary and police folding under pressure from the media and superiors to get a result means that we could never trust people to tell the truth and not fit people up.
Then again if technology ever reach the point where we can have a lie detector test that is 100% correct every time all the time, combined with corroborative evidence and Witnesses, then yes I would be more than happy to see people put to death for some of the evil things that they do.
No because there have been cases where innocents have been killed. If we had 100% proof then maybe.

So this is about the death penalty in the USA?
Reply 7
i used to hate the ending to Of Mice and Men; i could/would rant about it for days. now that i'm older i don't hate it as much.

also some people will never be rehabilitated.

does that answer the question? i don't want to actually say it for fear of being a bad liberal.
Some thoughts:

1. Killing people is evil/uncivilized/barberic
2. Life long imprisonment is as bad or worse than being killed in some people's opinion (is it though?)
3. It's dangerous to give the state the power to kill people

I'm against it
(edited 5 years ago)
But even after you die......you just have to wait after your respawn timer is up
(edited 5 years ago)
Whats your opinion

You should edit your post to specify you're referring to the USA. This is a British site so you're likely to get people saying "we already got rid of it".
Can’t keep something we don’t have.
I understand the arguments for it.
It is very expensive to keep even one person in prison, thus costing the government a lot of moñey. By having the death penalty, money spent on prisoners is reduced and space in prisons is freed up.
Plus some people just never can be rehabilitated back into society.

However, I am in conflict with the morals of killing someone because they killed someone. What kind of butchered message is that? Surely keeping a person alive and imprisoned to reflect on their terrible crimes for many years is punishment enough? I get that people would feel more comfortable with serial killers and criminals being six feet under than behind bars but execution is disgusting and outdated. Plus there is also always going to be a chance that an innocent person is killed for someone else's crime.
Original post by hananah!

It is very expensive to keep even one person in prison, thus costing the government a lot of moñey. By having the death penalty, money spent on prisoners is reduced and space in prisons is freed up.

A death penalty is actually really really expensive, more expensive than life sentences some sources say. Also a lot of people sit in prison for decades before the actual execution takes place.
The thought of committing a crime makes me feel sick let alone the people that do it. Many do it to get into prison and technically, prison is full. The people that commit crime should suffer a death penalty depending on the seriousness of the crime or people will carry on doing it. The death penalty will act as a deterrent to crime. Then you can think of it this way: If you knew there was a death penalty, would you commit crime? No, exactly. Sorry, I really don't want an argument but that's my opinion and I have a right to an opinion lolz XOX
Original post by Just my opinion
I voted no but I wish I could vote yes.
Colin Stagg
Stefan kiszko
The Tottenham two
The Bridgewater three
The Guildford four
The Birmingham six
The Maguire seven.
These all go to show that a combination of a corrupt judiciary and police folding under pressure from the media and superiors to get a result means that we could never trust people to tell the truth and not fit people up.
Then again if technology ever reach the point where we can have a lie detector test that is 100% correct every time all the time, combined with corroborative evidence and Witnesses, then yes I would be more than happy to see people put to death for some of the evil things that they do.

How does society benefit from killing defenceless people?
I'd say no, just because I feel if you execute a murderer; aren't you just as bad? And there's always the question of having the right person. Maybe it would be acceptable if it's a serial killer with solid evidence, maybe even a confession? Just don't really see the benefits of actually having the death penalty.
(edited 5 years ago)
Certainly not - even putting aside the moral issues of killing someone, and that of the impact it has on their families, the death penalty has a higher cost than life imprisonment, acts as less of a deterrent, and means a jury will be less likely to convict.
Absolutely.

I'm happy I live in a state that has and, more importantly, actually uses the death penalty on a regular basis.
For Americans, it's estimated that 1/20 people (though I've seen 4%) on death row are wrongly convicted. That's terrifying. I also think our legal system is based on the fact that we the people are better than those convicted so killing them for murder for example would be against it (if anyone has a degree in law, I'd like to know if this is true) .

I'm pretty happy that Good ol' Britain doesn't have the death penalty. It also doesn't deter crime so it that sense it's quite useless as well. I think it's morally wrong to kill anyone as well no matter their crime. Those that have killed someone in a horrible way probably won't ever leave prison so they're not a threat to society. It's also quite hypocritical as well. Though you could argue that the death of an innocent is different to the death of a criminal, it is nevertheless taking a life.

As SpongeBobSqwag said, I think to an extent, it could be dangerous to give the government such power.

People who say a positive to kill people is that it's cheaper than letting them rot in prison is sort of scary. Putting a price on a human life... Just food for thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending