The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

"Transgender people are not normal"

Define 'normal': "Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected".

Premise one: in this case, 'normal' refers to the nature of the most common and/or largest group of people.

Premise two: most people are not transgender.

Conclusion one: transgender people are not normal.

Conclusion two: if you found this offensive, you are offended by the truth.

Discuss the extent to which this argument is a valid inductive proof.

Scroll to see replies

Your definition of normal opens up a lot of problems tbh, it's too loose. Worldwide it's something like 51% women to 49% men, so if you're going for largest group = normal and not being part of the largest group = not normal then by the same argument men aren't normal.
Premise one: normal refers to the nature of the most common or largest group of people

Premise two: most people are not on TSR

Conclusion one: YOU are not normal

You see being transgender is just one aspect of a persons body, character and personality. They might not have a “normal” reaction in terms of whether or not they feel their gender identity matches their body but they might still prefer ready salted, or watch game of thrones, or have an extremely strong opinion on marmite etc etc. - normal things and so overall be normal.

We all have aspects of ourselves that are really abnormal. For example I have this weird extra bone growing out the top of my foot, yet I’d still consider myself a relatively normal person despite my abnormal feet, which are also a size 6 btw which is extremely small for an average height adult male.

This inductive proof falls down because you assume in premise 1 and conclusion 1 that all people are either “normal” or “not normal” and if you don’t belong to the majority group in any sort of grouping whatsoever you are “not normal”. By this logic everyone is “not normal” because no one is a member of the majority in terms of every single aspect of their character.
Reply 3
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Your definition of normal opens up a lot of problems tbh, it's too loose. Worldwide it's something like 51% women to 49% men, so if you're going for largest group = normal and not being part of the largest group = not normal then by the same argument men aren't normal.

That's quite a good argument although it still fits the 'expected' part of the OED definition.
Reply 4
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
Premise one: normal refers to the nature of the most common or largest group of people

Premise two: most people are not on TSR

Conclusion one: YOU are not normal

Well yeah, this is true, being on TSR is not normal.
Original post by HoldThisL
Well yeah, this is true, being on TSR is not normal.

Yeah so does that mean that everyone on the TSR is a not normal person?

don't think you really need to put together a structured argument for that, just look in the relationships forum.
Reply 7

Yes, in the sense you've described it.

I'm not saying normal has to be a holistic term.
Reply 8
i think society defines normal by what's 'average'. transgender people make up 1% of the population, so no, they're not 'normal'. who cares tho, i have a laundry list of things that make me not normal; i couldn't hide in a crowd if i tried.

i just think it's funny that 1% of the population can cause such an outrage. i think we focus on the dumb issues because the real issues are too challenging.
What is normal. I am a white male. There are more women than me in tge UK. Presumibly I am not normal. I am also losing my hair. Most people are not. Presumibly I am not normal.

One of the greatest scientists of out time, the late Stephen Hawking was not normal by your standards. So what?
Is TSR the new reddit??? This title is on top of latest, and ostracises so many people
Doesnt that mean gay people arent normal

Premise one: in this case, 'normal' refers to the nature of the most common and/or largest group of people.

Premise two: most people are not from Wales.

Conclusion one: Welsh people are not normal.

I wonder how many other examples we can come up with?
Does it really matter? By this definition anyone who is a minority in any sense, for anything, for any reason, isn't normal. Basically meaning no-one is normal. Most people don't live in the UK, does that mean all British people aren't normal?
Original post by HoldThisL

Premise two: most people are not transgender.

Conclusion one: transgender people are not normal.

Conclusion two: if you found this offensive, you are offended by the truth.

Discuss the extent to which this argument is a valid inductive proof.

The first conclusion is valid.

The second one isn't. One problem is that you haven't justified the truthfulness of what you've claimed or established a basis which we'd use to consider things true.

Neither conclusion is sound particularly because of the first premise. As others have explained normality isn't always determined by the characteristics of the majority of a population.

Generally speaking I'd agree with you though. Transgendered people aren't normally, but only in the sense that they aren't common. Gay people, bisexual people, etc, are also not normal/common. The problem only comes when you equate un-normal with bad or undesirable, which you haven't but sadly some people do.
i never meet anyone normal in my life. I'm not normal probably the most abnormal person in my family.
remember when everyone used to embrace having 'weird personalities' and not being normal
Reply 17
Second conclusion isn't warranted from the premises of the argument.
they are mentally unwell, or should I say, they have a mental illness.

I'd say the first.
everyone has a different definition of normal bc everyone thinks their normal but yh they arent normal imao

Latest

Trending

Trending