The Student Room Group

Best AS/A2 Physics Textbook?

For AQA spec

I have the CGP books but I’ve been told they’re a bit shite.

Sometimes the explanations in the CGP books are very vague, sometimes it’ll literally say ‘stuff’/‘thing’ and it’s so annoying, especially for a subject as difficult as physics.

Any recommendations?
Original post by OBAFGKM
For AQA spec

I have the CGP books but I’ve been told they’re a bit shite.

Sometimes the explanations in the CGP books are very vague, sometimes it’ll literally say ‘stuff’/‘thing’ and it’s so annoying, especially for a subject as difficult as physics.

Any recommendations?

You might find this website useful!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/as-and-a-level/physics-7407-7408/teach/textbooks

For A2 I personally found the Hodder Education textbook really helpful (not too sure about AS, didn't really use it). I just thought it was really mathsy, and explained derivations for equations and things like that (most of this extra maths content isn't really on the spec, but it helped me to understand + appreciate the concepts a lot more rather than just memorising them - I'd imagine this is esp. helpful if you'll study physics at uni :smile:). I also used the Oxford Student book which wasn't bad either. I'd recommend maybe using multiple sets of textbooks alongside the specification so you don't miss anything? Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Honestly, the current AQA one is pretty good.

Judging by your username, did you take astronomy GCSE?
Reply 3
Original post by Sinnoh
Honestly, the current AQA one is pretty good.

Judging by your username, did you take astronomy GCSE?

Haha no, I’ve already done Physics A Level with astrophysics as the option, I didn’t take maths but realised I wanted to do a physics degree so I’m resitting and taking on maths (instead of paying 9 grand for a foundation year)
Using multiple textbooks is the way to go, Cgp included. I used the Kerboodle book from my sixth form, which I found to be very good.

Quick Reply

Latest