The Student Room Group

If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes).

If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes), what is the maximum grade one could achieve?

(I'm NOT doing this, just a curious question).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely an A, if you're capable.
Reply 2
A* upto a 100%

trust me I revised completely from CGP (make sure its your syllabus) for my science GCSE's, my teachers where not so good and we couldn't take the textbooks home, then all I did was past papers after past papers!

I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%. But everyone has their styles of learning

DONT BE PUT OFF BY TEACHERS THAT TELL YOU CGP ARE USELESS!, they're not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Well at GCSE, we were told you could only achieve a maximum of B in biology.I personalyl find CGP to be good at helping you understand the basics, and then I would use the official school textbook to understand the topic in further detail.:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by amood00
A* upto a 100%

trust me I revised completely from CGP (make sure its your syllabus) for my science GCSE's, my teachers where not so good and we couldn't take the textbooks home, then all I did was past papers after past papers!

I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%. But everyone has their styles of learning

Wow... that's awesome :smile:

But my triple science teacher says that the revision guide lacks the detail needed for a higher grade and only goes up to a C ? :/
Reply 5
i did that! got a C :\
defo needed to practise questions...which made me get an A second time round
Reply 6
Original post by tohaaaa
Wow... that's awesome :smile:

But my triple science teacher says that the revision guide lacks the detail needed for a higher grade and only goes up to a C ? :/

they told me that too, hell even at alevel they are still telling me that!

the problem with the course textbook is the irrelevant detail, its good throughout the year but for intensive revision in easter, you need condensed notes that cgp does and that they straight to the point but you must must make sure its your syllabus otherwise it defeats the purpose.

But most importantly is the past papers! that's what matters

what year are you in?
Reply 7
Original post by amood00
they told me that too, hell even at alevel they are still telling me that!

the problem with the course textbook is the irrelevant detail, its good throughout the year but for intensive revision in easter, you need condensed notes that cgp does and that they straight to the point but you must must make sure its your syllabus otherwise it defeats the purpose.

But most importantly is the past papers! that's what matters

what year are you in?

I'm currently in Year 11. :cool:

You?
Well, for my GCSE sciences I got A*'s in all my triple sciences and all I used was the CPG book + past papers. I'd say 90% of stuff you can learn from CPG, the other 10% will be gained by the experience of knowing how to answer the past paper questions.

You definitely can't get away with it for A-level though! :biggrin:
Reply 9
[INDENT]
Original post by battycatlady
Well, for my GCSE sciences I got A*'s in all my triple sciences and all I used was the CPG book + past papers. I'd say 90% of stuff you can learn from CPG, the other 10% will be gained by the experience of knowing how to answer the past paper questions.

You definitely can't get away with it for A-level though! :biggrin:

really? in jan exams that just passed all is used was CGP for biology and got A , everyone else used the course textbook and many learnt all the irrelevant detail and did badly.
Did it for my Geography AS and got an A, haha.
I revised purely from CGP, an then did past papers and got AAA* in January in Maths, Chem and Physics. I don't think they're as bad as people make out.

This was for A2, what the person a couple of posts above me said is untrue, they can work.
Reply 12
Original post by amood00
A* upto a 100%
I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%.

i did/got the same ^^^^

did it last year for my 1st gcse science exams...i got :
140/140 in bio
140/140 in chem
137/140 in physics

now i only need B's in my june exams for an A*
so the pressure is off

so i averaged 139/140

so approximately 99%

but i dont think you would get the same for say english lol

ryan

Whats with the neg??
most people here got 2/3 A*
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Revised purely from CGP for science, got 3 A*'s so they must work
CGP are good for most subjects, such as Science and parts of English, but I found their SHP History book to be a little too factual. I had used a bit of it for my resit, but found the official revision book so much better that I got an A* in it from a D.

But still, I'm not very good at Science, and I did manage to pass my Science GCSEs pretty much only using CGP. They may be a bit silly in some places, apparently one book has a page which was only about cows for like a French exam or something, but it seems a lot better than some of the extremely dry official books which just pretty much say, "Page, facts, question, read it, bye."
Cgp is amazing. So organised and simple. In gcse I got a*'s from these books. They are fab. But, I didn't just read the books I condensed the info further e.g. and notes posters etc and did some past papers as well...
I think they are very useful.
(edited 10 years ago)
i just copied out the guide last year for my yr 10 modules and got A*s in them so I would say its really good to use them, most of the information is in one place and its so much easier
I revise completely from these books for all three sciences and maths and have achieved As and A*s in the exams so far! They're good books, there's nothing wrong with revising only from them! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
I looove CGP books,theyr brill!My psych teacher does'nt approve of them and she had the small AS Psychology version& the normal thin one so she let me have them for free:biggrin:.Thinking of just using them for my AS resits ?Its the relvant examine board too?Plus,my notes from last year are a mess ,cba using them again!
Same goes for AS biology, iv bought the small one and the normal A4 size-aand iv got the thin one for English language too 8)
p.s anyone got any revision tips on how to revise off the books? iv got 9 exams in the summer gonna start revision during Easter hols hopefully!
CGP books are brilliant to revise from, OP I'm currently in the same situation as you. Doing my GCSEs I use them for triple science they're really good! You should be able to get a*s

Quick Reply

Latest