Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes). Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    If one revised purely from CGP revision guides (no textbooks or class notes), what is the maximum grade one could achieve?

    (I'm NOT doing this, just a curious question).
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Definitely an A, if you're capable.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    A* upto a 100%

    trust me I revised completely from CGP (make sure its your syllabus) for my science GCSE's, my teachers where not so good and we couldn't take the textbooks home, then all I did was past papers after past papers!

    I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%. But everyone has their styles of learning

    DONT BE PUT OFF BY TEACHERS THAT TELL YOU CGP ARE USELESS!, they're not.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Well at GCSE, we were told you could only achieve a maximum of B in biology.I personalyl find CGP to be good at helping you understand the basics, and then I would use the official school textbook to understand the topic in further detail.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    A* upto a 100%

    trust me I revised completely from CGP (make sure its your syllabus) for my science GCSE's, my teachers where not so good and we couldn't take the textbooks home, then all I did was past papers after past papers!

    I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%. But everyone has their styles of learning
    Wow... that's awesome

    But my triple science teacher says that the revision guide lacks the detail needed for a higher grade and only goes up to a C ? :/
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    i did that! got a C :\
    defo needed to practise questions...which made me get an A second time round
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tohaaaa)
    Wow... that's awesome

    But my triple science teacher says that the revision guide lacks the detail needed for a higher grade and only goes up to a C ? :/
    they told me that too, hell even at alevel they are still telling me that!

    the problem with the course textbook is the irrelevant detail, its good throughout the year but for intensive revision in easter, you need condensed notes that cgp does and that they straight to the point but you must must make sure its your syllabus otherwise it defeats the purpose.

    But most importantly is the past papers! that's what matters

    what year are you in?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    they told me that too, hell even at alevel they are still telling me that!

    the problem with the course textbook is the irrelevant detail, its good throughout the year but for intensive revision in easter, you need condensed notes that cgp does and that they straight to the point but you must must make sure its your syllabus otherwise it defeats the purpose.

    But most importantly is the past papers! that's what matters

    what year are you in?
    I'm currently in Year 11. :cool:

    You?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Well, for my GCSE sciences I got A*'s in all my triple sciences and all I used was the CPG book + past papers. I'd say 90% of stuff you can learn from CPG, the other 10% will be gained by the experience of knowing how to answer the past paper questions.

    You definitely can't get away with it for A-level though!
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Well, for my GCSE sciences I got A*'s in all my triple sciences and all I used was the CPG book + past papers. I'd say 90% of stuff you can learn from CPG, the other 10% will be gained by the experience of knowing how to answer the past paper questions.

    You definitely can't get away with it for A-level though!
    really? in jan exams that just passed all is used was CGP for biology and got A , everyone else used the course textbook and many learnt all the irrelevant detail and did badly.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Did it for my Geography AS and got an A, haha.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I revised purely from CGP, an then did past papers and got AAA* in January in Maths, Chem and Physics. I don't think they're as bad as people make out.

    This was for A2, what the person a couple of posts above me said is untrue, they can work.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    A* upto a 100%
    I managed to get 2 100%s and 98%.
    i did/got the same ^^^^

    did it last year for my 1st gcse science exams...i got :
    140/140 in bio
    140/140 in chem
    137/140 in physics

    now i only need B's in my june exams for an A*
    so the pressure is off

    so i averaged 139/140

    so approximately 99%

    but i dont think you would get the same for say english lol

    ryan

    Whats with the neg??
    most people here got 2/3 A*
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Revised purely from CGP for science, got 3 A*'s so they must work
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    CGP are good for most subjects, such as Science and parts of English, but I found their SHP History book to be a little too factual. I had used a bit of it for my resit, but found the official revision book so much better that I got an A* in it from a D.

    But still, I'm not very good at Science, and I did manage to pass my Science GCSEs pretty much only using CGP. They may be a bit silly in some places, apparently one book has a page which was only about cows for like a French exam or something, but it seems a lot better than some of the extremely dry official books which just pretty much say, "Page, facts, question, read it, bye."
    • Welcome Squad
    Offline

    15
    Cgp is amazing. So organised and simple. In gcse I got a*'s from these books. They are fab. But, I didn't just read the books I condensed the info further e.g. and notes posters etc and did some past papers as well...
    I think they are very useful.
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    i just copied out the guide last year for my yr 10 modules and got A*s in them so I would say its really good to use them, most of the information is in one place and its so much easier
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I revise completely from these books for all three sciences and maths and have achieved As and A*s in the exams so far! They're good books, there's nothing wrong with revising only from them!


    This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I looove CGP books,theyr brill!My psych teacher does'nt approve of them and she had the small AS Psychology version& the normal thin one so she let me have them for free.Thinking of just using them for my AS resits ?Its the relvant examine board too?Plus,my notes from last year are a mess ,cba using them again!
    Same goes for AS biology, iv bought the small one and the normal A4 size-aand iv got the thin one for English language too 8)
    p.s anyone got any revision tips on how to revise off the books? iv got 9 exams in the summer gonna start revision during Easter hols hopefully!
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    CGP books are brilliant to revise from, OP I'm currently in the same situation as you. Doing my GCSEs I use them for triple science they're really good! You should be able to get a*s
 
 
 
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.