The Student Room Group

Self studying further maths and maybe economics

I plan to self study AS Edexcel further maths starting from now and I’ll have until September. This is so I can join the A2 class in September. I have all the Edexcel textbooks and I know a few resources like the FM videos, save my exams, a level revision, exam solutions etc but I wanted to know how can I fully utilise all the resources so that I can be confident in further maths. Shall I watch a video then read the notes of save my exams then do questions. Or shall I just use the textbook and do all the questions from the textbook whilst watching videos and doing past paper questions. I could write the exam examples from the textbook as notes.

Also, I may also be self studying AQA AS economics using Up Learn so that I can join the A2 classes. However, I will only be doing this if I have a lot of time and have completed further maths. Further maths AS is my priority. Also, how would I self study economics AS. The Up Learn website says during the videos is best to not make notes but you can make notes during the summary videos. Shall I just make all the notes during the summary videos and then do some past paper questions. Are there any textbooks for AQA economics that I should know about. Thank you
Reply 1
I've done edexcel further maths too and I think the textbook are quite good. It could be useful to read their notes and the example questions they work through, and then try some of the questions on that chapter point. Of course the videos would really help too for stuff you're stuck on. Places like PMT also do good topic questions which could help with the revision.
For economics I would recommend econplusdal videos I found them really useful! He does a great job explaining all the topics in his videos! Obviously there's many other good resources out there, this is just one I'd recommend. I made notes for econ as I found it really helpful for final revision during exams because of all the content. But everyone works differently and it was quite time consuming so I'd only recommend it if notes work well for you. Like I know some people make notes but barely end up looking at them. Definitely go through the specification for the board though, as they can be so useful in making sure you're covering all of the right topics.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Marvel_fan
I've done edexcel further maths too and I think the textbook are quite good. It could be useful to read their notes and the example questions they work through, and then try some of the questions on that chapter point. Of course the videos would really help too for stuff you're stuck on. Places like PMT also do good topic questions which could help with the revision.
For economics I would recommend econplusdal videos I found them really useful! He does a great job explaining all the topics in his videos! Obviously there's many other good resources out there, this is just one I'd recommend. I made notes for econ as I found it really helpful for final revision during exams because of all the content. But everyone works differently and it was quite time consuming so I'd only recommend it if notes work well for you. Like I know some people make notes but barely end up looking at them. Definitely go through the specification for the board though, as they can be so useful in making sure you're covering all of the right topics.
Hope that helps and good luck!

Thank you very much. I’ve already started using the textbook and I’ve found that there’s a lot of questions. I know going through them will take a lot of time so I’m gonna do around 5 questions on the exercises and then some past paper questions. Also, I found out that the specification on core pure is mixed with both 1 and 2 and my college has only done 1 so far so it leaves me with less work than I thought. Decision 1 I already know part of it so hopefully that makes it quicker and then it’s just statistics 1. So far it’s been going well and thank you for the YouTube recommendation I’ll definitely check him out for economics.
Reply 3
Original post by Safwan321
Thank you very much. I’ve already started using the textbook and I’ve found that there’s a lot of questions. I know going through them will take a lot of time so I’m gonna do around 5 questions on the exercises and then some past paper questions. Also, I found out that the specification on core pure is mixed with both 1 and 2 and my college has only done 1 so far so it leaves me with less work than I thought. Decision 1 I already know part of it so hopefully that makes it quicker and then it’s just statistics 1. So far it’s been going well and thank you for the YouTube recommendation I’ll definitely check him out for economics.

Ahh that sounds like you're doing well then! Yeah the exercises can get so boring haha... especially when the first questions on each one are really repetitive

Quick Reply

Latest