The Student Room Group

Cultural appropriation

Hey guys just wanted to started a thread on cultural appropriation and a place where we can have peaceful discussion about what exactly it is .
Over the past year the issue of cultural appropriation vs cultural appreciation has become ever more prevalent , and with that comes the argument on what exactly qualifies for appreciation and appropriation.
As a woman of colour over the year my overall view of cultural appropriation in popular culture and in society in general, has changed and alternated as I sought to define exactly what cultural appropriation is.

So what I’m trying to get at is I want to know what people define as cultural appropriation, whether it is an issue and whether or not cultural appreciation can ever be a positive result of multiculturalism and if so what exactly does cultural appreciation look like .

(Any point of view is welcome here whether it be apposing or in agreement, just as long as it isn’t rude or insensitive)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing quite outs you as a pillock as genuinely being concerned about so-called cultural appropriation.
Reply 2
Original post by ilem
Nothing quite outs you as a pillock as genuinely being concerned about so-called cultural appropriation.

Says the person that wasted 2 minutes of their life to write on a thread they have no interest in 😂😂😂
Reply 3
It's a silly non-issue that I find it completely illogical to be offended by.
The only “cultural appropriation” that is wrong is when someone wears something “from” another culture, just to mock it or disrespect it. Especially if people from that culture have been historically discriminated against because of that piece. However I don’t think things like braids are cultural appropriation.
As devoid of sane meaning as Islamaphobia.
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
As devoid of sane meaning as Islamaphobia.

The thing is that does have a very reasonable meaning. There are plenty of people who are afraid of islam, and it's an irrational fear. It's just a term that's perhaps misused.
https://youtu.be/58NFBsEsVqQ

Black student demands white student removes his dreads.
Original post by Dheorl
The thing is that does have a very reasonable meaning. There are plenty of people who are afraid of islam, and it's an irrational fear. It's just a term that's perhaps misused.

Read the Quran and you will understand that it's rational.
Original post by Just my opinion
https://youtu.be/58NFBsEsVqQ

Black student demands white student removes his dreads.

That’s just wasted both of their time
Reply 11

No, it isn't, because it's clear that by the vast majority of muslims across the vast majority of the world (if any at all) it's not practised word for word.
Original post by Dheorl
No, it isn't, because it's clear that by the vast majority of muslims across the vast majority of the world (if any at all) it's not practised word for word.

You are missing the distinction between Islam and Muslim. This is somewhat off-topic though.
Reply 13
You are missing the distinction between Islam and Muslim. This is somewhat off-topic though.

No, I'm really not, but w/e.

By that same logic, arachnophobia shouldn't exist. The overwhelming amount of people who fear spiders and the evidence that the fear is an evolutionary countermeasure should technically make it a rational thing to be scared of them. But Arachnophobia is still a thing. Why? Because:

Its not that being scared of spiders or being scared of Islam is the irrational part, its the FEAR that is irrational. Thats when just feelings of being scared turns into a phobia.

Its OK to be scared of a spider, but it only becomes irrational when that fear turns into anxiety or you have crazy thoughts that continue to persist over your life.

Similarly, you may think that its rational to fear Islam because of its Book so Islamophobia shouldn't exist, but if that fear itself is irrational and includes people jumping into a nearby bush when they see a beard. That's a phobia regardless.
Oh and cultural appropriation is a double edged sword. Will you not let me assimilate understand and love another culture as well as my own without getting offended? It shouldn't be offensive to explore other cultures. It should be encouraged as long as its respected, let Kim Kardashian wear braids IDGAF. Culture is like one of the top things that segregate us after all.
When one talks about a sticky issue like cultural appropriation, one must look at power dynamics. For something to be considered as cultural appropriation, in my opinion, is when an aspect of a minority or marginalized ethnic group in a country is added to the persons of one not from their culture to improve one's own aesthetic with no regard to the said group's sentiments.

For example, some may argue that when a non-black person wears braids or hairstyles linked to Afro-Carribean or African-American culture it is cultural appropriation especially when there was a time not so long ago black hairstyles on black people were not accepted and made it difficult for them to find jobs or survive in the toxic racism of countries such as America. Even today black hairstyles on black people are described by some as 'ratchet', 'ghetto', 'ratty', 'nappy', 'unprofessional', 'inappropriate' and 'unpractical'.

So this is why when someone that isn't aware, hopefully of these connotations that have surrounded black folk for centuries and cornrows their type 1a-3a hair, is seen as offensive.

Don't say that we're being sensitive, just try to empathise what it feels like to be a black citizen in a not so post-racism, post-racism world.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am white so I don't think I can have a full understanding of cultural appropriation is. However, to me, cultural appropriation is when someone either mocks/disrespects another culture or ignorantly steals parts of another culture without understanding their meaning or significance. Examples would be : wearing a costume imitating another culture, using aspects of that culture as a fashion item without understanding it's meaning/significance.
Original post by Andrew97
Doesn’t exist.

It does exist. But those who talk about cultural appropriation in that context are usually blaming immigrants for changes in taste that is reflected in our cultural events. But personally, I can't think of any. That said, I have noticed over the last few years that white British people don't seem to go to the seaside any more.
If you’re not a White European then you must stop;
Wearing suits, wearing high heels, wearing bikinis, living in brick houses, using plumbing systems, using electricity, using fossil fuels, driving cars, using public transportation.
These are just a few examples of how any non white european violates and abuses my culture.

Do you see how dumb cultural appropriation is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending