The Student Room Group

Have Gender and Sexual Identities gone too far?

Scroll to see replies

People always have this strange, terrifying notion of something going 'too far.' When the first novels were first published, some worried they'd cause children to lose their grip on reality.

You'll find that most people with an unusual identity are pretty regular people with jobs and friends and a favourite tv show, it's just another facet of their personality. So stop panicking about that facebook video with some guy in South Carolina who identifies as a potted plant that your aunt shared. It's honestly not a big deal, calm down, lol.
Original post by Bio 7
I have always been supportive of those that don't identify as cis-male or cis-female and people of different sexual orientations as well. Myself being Biromantic already puts me in a minority and other sexualities seem more interesting to me.

However I have been talking to someone for the last week about this and have started to see people take it too far and give credit to those that say this is all just personality rather than real identities and orientations.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes, I think it's gone too far. There are some which are real, but now it's just stupid and gone too far. I'm asexual myself
Original post by K-Kuro
I don't think the problem is with the identitys themselves but with the people who are desperate to have an identity for everything they feel.
Many sexualities and gender identities are typically straight and/or cis people who want to join in with the LGBT 'trend.'
And it's just sad that being an Ally isn't enough for people anymore, they have to be erasing and delegitmising LGBT people just to try and be apart of it.

There's plenty of "straight white cis men" on twitter that put preferred pronouns and/or say they are queer and/or that they are non-binary, all just so they aren't the most privileged group.

It's all about being part of some sort of minority, scoring woke points, and being cheered on by "the community".
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The appearance that it's gone too far comes from absolute jizzrags declaring they identify as a chest of drawers or an Boeing AH-64 helicopter to try and ridicule people for not conforming to their "muh chromosomes" worldview. Not from actual people trying to find who they are and their place in the world

More like people crying for attention because they so desperately think they are better than stereotypes.
Original post by Bio 7

However I have been talking to someone for the last week about this and have started to see people take it too far and give credit to those that say this is all just personality rather than real identities and orientations.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think there is a very simple test. If benefits, jobs and everything else in society is dished out on an equal basis regardless of gender, sexuality or sexual orientation, then in my view there is one test - what does it actually matter if someone identifies as a male female pink giraffe who is interested in fury hamsters, but only on a Wednesday? Lice and let live I say.

It is only those who feel threatened by people who are different that generally have something to say about it.
Once you leave the male/female binary explanations as to how and why people identify as something get very obtuse. I've never been able to properly rationalise and straighten out what none-binary actually means in my head.

Gone 'too far' is a bit of a strange term though. Too far for what? If a lot more people start identifying or claiming to identify as weird things, what actually happens?
Original post by Big_Daymo
I think the main problem is that the feminist movement and manipulative media have begun brainwashing those that aren’t sure where they fit into society into thinking that all their personality quirks and sexual preferences deserve labels.

Eh no. It's not a feminist thing, there are feminists who reject the basic fact that trans women are women, and trans men are men. They're called trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs for short (no doubt some muppet will claim that acronyms are slurs, but they're wrong) and work off the idea that gender is both bogus and intrinsically linked to genitalia - they insist trans-women erase women, and on the odd occasion they acknowledge trans-men in their ridiculous worldview, they claim they're just women trying to escape the patriarchy by joining it.

Original post by AperfectBalance
Or people they are declaring they are female or male when they are very clearly not.

Clearly not according to who? Presumably we're not ignoring the neurobiology, psychology and sociology saying they are in favour of a GCSE student understanding of chromosomes, as if biology wasn't so much more complicated than that?
Original post by yudothis
There's plenty of "straight white cis men" on twitter that put preferred pronouns and/or say they are queer and/or that they are non-binary, all just so they aren't the most privileged group.

It's all about being part of some sort of minority, scoring woke points, and being cheered on by "the community".

Not really. It's about how once people see others being happy not having to conform to some set of ideals or standards they often see the appeal in not comforming themselves.
You say you’re biromantic but that to me doesn’t sound sexual/like a sexuality at all! I prefer to let people come and go as they please and not label every ******** type of person on the face of the earth down to your homosexual pets. This may seem offensive but I feel like the only reason people feel the need to label themselves and go on about it is because other people have rejected them and they felt the need to say I won’t be bothered by them and shout it from the roof tops which is kind of saying that’s even necessary...
go home be who you are and be who you are wherever labels unnecessary unless you’re insecure.
Yes....most definitely.
Original post by SkyRunner61
I would hope that people aren’t making it up for fun, my own identity as just a bi person has caused a lot of difficulties. I tend to err on the side of accepting whatever someone’s told me and referring to them the way they want me to, since it’s not much effort and doesn’t cause anyone any harm. I draw the line for identity at transracial and transabled though

Why do you draw lines while at the same time having an expectation that someone will not draw their 'line' at you?
Original post by furiousmushroom
Not really. It's about how once people see others being happy not having to conform to some set of ideals or standards they often see the appeal in not comforming themselves.

Don't buy that for one second. These people often do conform. They just put a woke label on themselves.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Why do you draw lines while at the same time having an expectation that someone will not draw their 'line' at you?

I think that people will inevitably draw lines at things that they're not comfortable with. As a person of colour, I'm not comfortable with the concept of people (especially white people) identifying as another race, as it minimises the experiences of actual people of colour, like in the case of Rachel Dolezal who held a position in a civil rights organisation promoting the rights of people of colour. And as a disabled person, I'm not comfortable with people pretending to be disabled as disability isn't a fun thing and it just increases the scrutiny that disabled people face in society today

I don't think that I have that expectation that people won't draw their line at me, because they do. Since I come off as flamingly gay even to strangers, I do regularly get name-called and I often get dirty looks when I'm out. That's fine though, as that's their choice and they're not hurting me physically. And frankly, I don't want anything to do with someone who would deny me on that basis
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Eh no. It's not a feminist thing, there are feminists who reject the basic fact that trans women are women, and trans men are men. They're called trans-exclusionary radical feminists, or TERFs for short (no doubt some muppet will claim that acronyms are slurs, but they're wrong) and work off the idea that gender is both bogus and intrinsically linked to genitalia - they insist trans-women erase women, and on the odd occasion they acknowledge trans-men in their ridiculous worldview, they claim they're just women trying to escape the patriarchy by joining it.

Clearly not according to who? Presumably we're not ignoring the neurobiology, psychology and sociology saying they are in favour of a GCSE student understanding of chromosomes, as if biology wasn't so much more complicated than that?

Muppet here - https://terfisaslur.com/

The fact that you use it while "TERF" is essentially the new ****/witch/***** speaks volumes about your character. You are either part of it, or willfully ignore that a very large part of trans activists bully and abuse women under that umbrella.

Psychology isn't biology. A feeling does not a woman or man make.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs

Because I am part of the real gender binary and don’t want to shag trigender aliens. You can’t draw line on a cisgender white heterosexual male.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Once you leave the male/female binary explanations as to how and why people identify as something get very obtuse. I've never been able to properly rationalise and straighten out what none-binary actually means in my head.

Gone 'too far' is a bit of a strange term though. Too far for what? If a lot more people start identifying or claiming to identify as weird things, what actually happens?

What happens is we get men and women in each other’s bathrooms due to their gender preference, we have long standing institutions such as the American BOY scouts being made multi gendered for no reason, we have entire countries like Sweden being sunken down with sjw propaganda (don’t they use hen as a general pronoun?) and we have entitled people labelling themselves outcasts and doxxing those whom disagree, which often ruins lives of normal people for their aversion to this liberal rubbish. The more we enable these sjws, the more they demand.
Original post by Big_Daymo
What happens is we get men and women in each other’s bathrooms due to their gender preference,

Oh god how will I cope with the possibility of a woman privately ******** in a stall next to me

we have long standing institutions such as the American BOY scouts being made multi gendered for no reason,

I'm p sure UK scouts have been ungendered for years to no issue

we have entire countries like Sweden being sunken down with sjw propaganda (don’t they use hen as a general pronoun?)

Hen? I don't think it's in their interest to call their entire populations chicken.
and we have entitled people labelling themselves outcasts and doxxing those whom disagree, which often ruins lives of normal people for their aversion to this liberal rubbish. The more we enable these sjws, the more they demand.

I think you're confused.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Little Popcorns
You say you’re biromantic but that to me doesn’t sound sexual/like a sexuality at all! I prefer to let people come and go as they please and not label every ******** type of person on the face of the earth down to your homosexual pets. This may seem offensive but I feel like the only reason people feel the need to label themselves and go on about it is because other people have rejected them and they felt the need to say I won’t be bothered by them and shout it from the roof tops which is kind of saying that’s even necessary...
go home be who you are and be who you are wherever labels unnecessary unless you’re insecure.

My moggy is an asexual assasin.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
My moggy is an asexual assasin.

You’re cool dude 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending