The Student Room Group

how close are we to world war 3?

Do you think it will ever happen? if it happens will nuclear weapons be used? your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Painfully close if my next door neighbour doesn't stop the drilling he is currenly doing..
Original post by Ara2,
Do you think it will ever happen? if it happens will nuclear weapons be used? your opinions?

I reckon if a global conflict ever happens the threat of firearms and nuclear weapons will be nowhere near as prevalent as the threat of cyber attack. States like Russia, China and America who all have advanced hacking teams can destroy the infrastructure of a country, and cripple it without ever firing a weapon.
Reply 3
Don’t know. We’re the first generation in human history that’s been raised in peace. In a globally connected world. With rights and justice. This could mean we take peace for granted and stumble into another world war or it could mean we all realise how brilliant peace is and never make the same mistakes our forefathers did
We are on a thin sheet of ice when it comes to World War 3. I would suggest you begin constructing an underground bunker before things get real ugly, real soon.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Painfully close if my next door neighbour doesn't stop the drilling he is currenly doing..

lmao

lol :biggrin:
We're not close at all right now, there's no conflicts or tensions right now that pose any risk of cascading and dragging enough nations in to qualify as a world war.
Original post by BenK64
Don’t know. We’re the first generation in human history that’s been raised in peace. In a globally connected world. With rights and justice. This could mean we take peace for granted and stumble into another world war or it could mean we all realise how brilliant peace is and never make the same mistakes our forefathers did

I hope you're baiting, how can you say we've grown up in peace? The British Army is deployed in more than 80 countries with active conflicts going on right now.
Reply 8
Original post by dorian81
I hope you're baiting, how can you say we've grown up in peace? The British Army is deployed in more than 80 countries with active conflicts going on right now.

When I say we I mean western society. There hasnt been war in Western Europe since ww2. Same with USA/Canada/Australia etc. Yes we have soldiers abroad but unless you are a soldier then you have no idea what the horror of war is like. At home in western society the idea of war is totally alien to us. World war 2, blitz and massacre seems like a world away. There isn’t even a threat of war hanging over our shoulder, as with the Cold War generation. So yes, we live in peace and have no idea what war is like.
Original post by BenK64
When I say we I mean western society. There hasnt been war in Western Europe since ww2. Same with USA/Canada/Australia etc. Yes we have soldiers abroad but unless you are a soldier then you have no idea what the horror of war is like. At home in western society the idea of war is totally alien to us. World war 2, blitz and massacre seems like a world away. There isn’t even a threat of war hanging over our shoulder, as with the Cold War generation. So yes, we live in peace and have no idea what war is like.

Yeah true that we, as in the people of England, are not currently in direct risk from a state attack, although you could argue that we are at risk from an attack, directed at the people, by a terrorist/paramilitary group. However, the UK as an international power is not currently peaceful, and for good reason.

Do you believe in the scrapping of Trident?
ecolier :eek: ur gonna make it happen
Original post by gjd800

:rofl:
Reply 13
Yeah true that we, as in the people of England, are not currently in direct risk from a state attack, although you could argue that we are at risk from an attack, directed at the people, by a terrorist/paramilitary group. However, the UK as an international power is not currently peaceful, and for good reason.

Do you believe in the scrapping of Trident?

Difficult one. For sure one of the biggest risks in the world rn would be if terrorists got their hands on nuclear weapons. Yes in the future I would like their to be a time where all countries have up their nukes. But I don’t think we should be naive either. The threat of having nuclear weapons doesn’t count for nothing, and outside of the western world we are far from having a peaceful society.
I don't think there'll be a world war, but I do think we're heading towards societal collapse; and a small part of me can't wait. It's gonna be good.
1539105669042.png
Original post by Ara2,

I think if this is a genuine question, then it's important to actually look at how other conflicts, have and are playing out.

The closest we have been to an nuclear scale conflict was probably the Cold War. During that conflict, there was only indirect attacks from both sides.

Present day conflicts take place an enemy who is far less superior to the one's the are fighting. Iraq, Iraq v2.0, Afghanistan. You get the idea. Chances are, if 'World War 3' does take place, fear would kick in and people would realise that a nuclear scale conflict would bring the World to it's knees and there would be nothing left.

Who knows though ?????
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BenK64
Difficult one. For sure one of the biggest risks in the world rn would be if terrorists got their hands on nuclear weapons. Yes in the future I would like their to be a time where all countries have up their nukes. But I don’t think we should be naive either. The threat of having nuclear weapons doesn’t count for nothing, and outside of the western world we are far from having a peaceful society.

To be honest, I don't really see the main terrorist threats (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.) getting their hands on nukes anytime, there should be no way a terrorist organisation has the military strength to overcome a country with nuclear powers, not to mention the international support that country would gain if it became evident that terrorists may have a chance in gaining nukes.

I'm all for the removal Trident, I think that at the end of the day it's going to provide little deterrent to other nuclear powers, but again I agree that it's complex.
Fairly close. I am selling tinfoil hats at a discounted price if anyone is interested.
Considering that Russia and the US are considering to leave the INF treaty, it seems that relations between the two countries are getting sour. Not to mention that the US and Russia wishes to replace their nuclear weapons.

What is more apparent is that the US' relations with China is going terribly. China couldn't stop asserting their claim over the south china sea and at the moment there seems to be a trade war between the two countries. Additionally, if China were invade Taiwan, which is something that they have repeatedly said that they would do, then it is almost certian that the US will assist the Taiwanese.

Which is quite funny because in the cold war, China had better relations with the west than it did with the Soviet Union.

I suspect that a new cold war is brewing, except this time China will be involved.
To be honest, I don't really see the main terrorist threats (ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc.) getting their hands on nukes anytime, there should be no way a terrorist organisation has the military strength to overcome a country with nuclear powers, not to mention the international support that country would gain if it became evident that terrorists may have a chance in gaining nukes.

I'm all for the removal Trident, I think that at the end of the day it's going to provide little deterrent to other nuclear powers, but again I agree that it's complex.

The options for the future are so vast it's impossible to point in which direction we are going

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending