Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Derby University

What is Derby University like? I have a place for September
Original post by Emilylathey
What is Derby University like? I have a place for September

Better if you ask some specific questions for some specific answers to stop people from telling you what you already know.

Moved to University of Derby

Tagging @University of Derby
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hi @Emilylathey,

What sort of information are you hoping to find out?

Ryan
Reply 3

Spoiler

Original post by University of Derby
Hi @Emilylathey,

What sort of information are you hoping to find out?

Ryan

Spoiler

And what sort of course are you thinking of studying?

Ryan
Reply 5
I'm doing the foundation joint honours programme

Hi @Emilylathey,

That's great that you've got a place for the Joint Honours Foundation Programme.

Two of our current students were able to reply to threads recently about student life here in Derby.

Callum replied to a thread about the city, and sports and societies available here.

See Tamzin's reply about the vibe here, the transport options, and the shops!

I'd recommend checking them both out, and by all means if you want to know anything else, let me know :smile:

Ryan
Reply 7

Don't let one person's negative experience influence your decision to go to Derby or not.

I studied BSc Biology at Derby Uni from 2015-2018 and got a 1st class degree which permitted me to go to Newcastle University for my masters, so for those who say Derby is not reputable - it is clearly not the case.

Derby University is a small university. I see a real difference between Derby and Newcastle. Derby was definitely a more personal experience. Lecturers knew who you were, what you wanted to do and supported you (if you make the effort with them - it is not a one way street). The workload for my course was not huge until final year (I am assuming like any other course). I worked full-time during my entire degree, the first year was definitely easier than a-levels. Social life was alright in Derby but having Nottingham and Leicester and Loughborough close by is really good.

Your university experience is definitely what you make of it. Anywhere you will find one awful lecturer or fellow student, being strong and adaptable is a key quality. You need to make the effort to make the most of your time. At the end of the day, a job or postgraduate studies do not care how you got your degree, just the grade.

I am so happy I went to Derby and the entire time flew by!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending