The Student Room Group

Would you rather work in the public or private sector?

Which sector would you like to work for your working life?

In terms of making a difference I would say private i.e. teaching, doctors, ambulance crew etc..

However, in reality many public sector jobs are very underpaid and a lot of interference from government e.g. teaching or lack of funding (Nursing)

What job do you have/want in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably in the private sector, it depends really. If the job becomes damaging then I'll obviously try to get one which is less stressful (e.g. not as understaffed)
Neither.

Work for myself. :dumbells:
Very much depends on what stuff we're made of but the public sector holds some advantages. Not only you get away with sickies much better (statistically proven), if you manage to swim the way up to the higher echelons you can even get away with a lot of failure that the private sector would have your head for.
Private sector only.
I do mainly office admin and personal assistant jobs.
Reply 5
Public sector better for the extra perks terms and conditions etc and to feel like you're not just lining someone's pockets, the work has real meaning.
I have now worked in both. Both have pros and cons. The private sector is a bit of a wild west. You can certainly earn more, but you are likely to work more hours and have less holidays. Plus benefits like pensions are generally a bit on the mean side. That said, there is more opporunity within various fields and the opportunity to negociate better pay. On the flip side, jobs are often less secure.

Pay is less in the private sector, certainly in the main areas like health and education compared to private, but you get better holidays and a massively better pension which is actually adds a signigicant pay increase when you factor it in. For example, teachers are supposidly hard done by but only work 3/4 of a year so can't grumble too much. Public sectors are often protected by the double edged sword that is the union. Good in a way but often prevents individuals negociating their own lot. That said, so much of the private sector has been privatised that the old perks have gone.
Reply 7
Public sector could be safer and better pension ( less layoffs risk)
Pretty sure people keep mistyping private/public :laugh:

Original post by Ynnus
Public sector better for the extra perks terms and conditions etc and to feel like you're not just lining someone's pockets, the work has real meaning.

Perks in the public sector. What magical country is this you refer to?!
I've worked in both, currently in public sector, and own a ltd company on the side. Each has pros and cons. If you want to get rich - private sector. If you want to feel like you're doing something good for society - public sector. In reality, you chose your career rather than the sector, and the money aspect is unlikely to be relevant for several years. I don't mind where I work, as long as I enjoy the work, it pays what I know my skills are worth, and it fits my career goals.

Original post by nexttime

Holiday entitlements, much better pension, flexible working arrangements, regular 9-5, less performance-related stress, greater job security...

Original post by ineedtorevise127
In terms of making a difference I would say private i.e. teaching, doctors, ambulance crew etc..

Although there are some exceptions, those jobs are generally public sector...
Original post by Duncan2012
Holiday entitlements, much better pension, flexible working arrangements, regular 9-5, less performance-related stress, greater job security...

Ok well I wouldn't consider most of those "perks" in the traditional sense! Y'know - company car, Christmas bonus etc!

Flexible working and 9-5 is definitely very sector dependent, I don't think its really public vs private is it?

Pension and job security are definitely significant advantages though.
Reply 11
I'm in the public sector and I think I'll remain there. Can't see myself in the private sector.
Original post by Airmed
I'm in the public sector and I think I'll remain there. Can't see myself in the private sector.

How comes, you enjoying the work life balance?
Have worked in both (as well as both national and local public sector), prefer public. Greater sense of job satisfaction for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ebam_uk
How comes, you enjoying the work life balance?

I don't really see myself suiting a private sector job. Plus I'm a civil servant and in 2 years time I'll hopefully be leading my own team fully.
Original post by Airmed
I don't really see myself suiting a private sector job. Plus I'm a civil servant and in 2 years time I'll hopefully be leading my own team fully.

Seems like you know where you want to be!
Reply 16
Original post by ebam_uk
Seems like you know where you want to be!

Things might change! My job is not always the most interesting :lol:
Original post by ByEeek
I have now worked in both. Both have pros and cons. The private sector is a bit of a wild west. You can certainly earn more, but you are likely to work more hours and have less holidays. Plus benefits like pensions are generally a bit on the mean side. That said, there is more opporunity within various fields and the opportunity to negociate better pay. On the flip side, jobs are often less secure.

Pay is less in the private sector, certainly in the main areas like health and education compared to private, but you get better holidays and a massively better pension which is actually adds a signigicant pay increase when you factor it in. For example, teachers are supposidly hard done by but only work 3/4 of a year so can't grumble too much. Public sectors are often protected by the double edged sword that is the union. Good in a way but often prevents individuals negociating their own lot. That said, so much of the private sector has been privatised that the old perks have gone.

I agree.
Ive got to admit private sector is more secure.
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
Pretty sure people keep mistyping private/public :laugh:

The magical country where I got 6 months full pay maternity leave, for a start, along with paid days of special leave when I was doing my masters

Sorry that was a reply to the "Perks?!" question
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ynnus
The magical country where I got 6 months full pay maternity leave, for a start, along with paid days of special leave when I was doing my masters

They have also just introduced wellbeing hours where you can take a paid hour off to do relaxation or something either alone or as a team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending