The Student Room Group

Shamima Begum. Should she get legal aid from Britain ?

To fight the British government's decision to strip her of British Citizenship ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, until the government can prove in a court of law that their decision was within the constraints of the law she should be entitled to all protections that come with being a British citizen.

This case has far more reaching consequences as she has been made stateless in contradiction to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Reply 2
If she qualifies for it under the same rules as applied to all applicants, yes.
Why shouldn't she?
If she is entitled to it, then yes.

You can dislike a person or disagree with her actions and still believe someone should be able to access professional legal representation.
Yes, it's a rather important decision which should be subject to judicial scrutiny. That means effective access and legal aid to those who would otherwise not be able to afford it.
Reply 5
At the taxpayers expense when she decided to support isis and then when they failed she decided to ask to come back and started making some very dubious comments to justify what she did?
No.
If her parents are so keen to impose her upon the UK legal system and facilitate her return to the street of Britain, they should fund all her legal costs from their personal resources.
I would be interested to know what proofs of identity, address, national insurance number and income she provided in support of her application for legal aid.
If it were up to me we'd set the law such that she'd have no chance at all of getting anywhere near the UK.

But the law is as it is, and this is what legal aid is for. I've no problem with it.
I don't care. She lost her rights when she went to join Isis. I do not want a terror suspect in this country .
No. In fact she should be handed over to the Syrian government who serve justice for the syrian population affected by isis. In Syria joining a terrorist group carries the death penalty
She is an idiot for making the decision to JOIN A TERRORIST ORGANISATION. So in my opinion no.
Reply 12
Original post by mgi
At the taxpayers expense when she decided to support isis and then when they failed she decided to ask to come back and started making some very dubious comments to justify what she did?

So a convicted murderer who shows no remorse should be denied legal representation to appeal, even if they qualify for it?
Don't think that's how it works.
Reply 13
Original post by Andrew97
I’d rather she didn’t.

What is your red line for who should and shouldn't be entitled to legal aid? Is it types of offence, the seriousness of the offence, or merely your opinion of the offender?
Original post by QE2
What is your red line for who should and shouldn't be entitled to legal aid? Is it types of offence, the seriousness of the offence, or merely your opinion of the offender?

Types and seriousness of offence.
When you chose to leave the country and join a terrorist group that we are at war with then you sacrifice many of your rights. The only thing the government should help her in to is a noose.
Original post by QE2
So a convicted murderer who shows no remorse should be denied legal representation to appeal, even if they qualify for it?
Don't think that's how it works.

You can't judge whether someone is remorseful or not through watching a few five minute interviews. This idea people seem to have of public trial through snippets from the media is very odd to me, and I find it concerning how willing this country is to break international law for someone we actually know very little about.
What we want and what should be done are two different things.

I don't want her to be given legal aid because it was her choice to go and join a terrorist organisation, but what should be done is completely different. Unless it's proven that she shouldn't be entitled to legal aid for whatever reason, then she should be given that chance. Legal aid exists for the access of justice for all, not the few.
Original post by MidgetFever
What we want and what should be done are two different things.

I don't want her to be given legal aid because it was her choice to go and join a terrorist organisation, but what should be done is completely different. Unless it's proven that she shouldn't be entitled to legal aid for whatever reason, then she should be given that chance. Legal aid exists for the access of justice for all, not the few.

Agreed, very eloquently put.
Reply 19
Original post by Andrew97
Types and seriousness of offence.

So what is the cut-off point? Which types of offence should not warrant legal representation? And is it in minor or extreme cases where a perpetrator without financial means should be denied legal representation?

Basically, you are saying that justice should only be available to the rich regarding some types of crime.
Are you also a fan of the workhouse, debtors' gaol and rickets?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending