The Student Room Group

Prime Factorizations

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 20.03.50.png

Hello, I was stuck on this question. I had split the question into possible cases. Since, a and b have the same prime factors in their prime factorizations, I assumed the cases: if li>mi,mi>li,li=mil_i > m_i, m_i > l_i, l_i = m_i for all 1ik1 \leq i \leq k.

Ideas for li>mil_i > m_i for all 1ik1 \leq i \leq k, if mi>lim_i > l_i, it would be a similar argument.

I can then rewrite a as: a = (p1m1....pkmk)(p1l1m1....pklmmk)=b(p1l1m1....pklmmk)(p_1^{m_1} * .... * p_k^{m_k}) * (p_1^{l_1-m_1} * .... * p_k^{l_m-m_k}) = b * (p_1^{l_1-m_1} * .... * p_k^{l_m-m_k}).

Hence, b | a and therefore gcd(a, b) = b = (p1m1....pkmk)(p_1^{m_1} * .... * p_k^{m_k}) = (p1min(l1,m1)....pkmin(lk,mk))(p_1^{min(l_1,m_1)} * .... * p_k^{min(l_k,m_k)}).

The reverse argument applies for if a | b i.e. if mi>lim_i > l_i for all 1ik1 \leq i \leq k. If li=mi,1ikl_i = m_i, 1 \leq i \leq k then a = b and so gcd(a,b) = a = b, and it is again the minimum of the the powers, which is either of them as they are equal.

But, I am stuck now since: How do I show it if for i, li>mil_i > m_i and some other j, li<mil_i < m_i for 1i,jk 1 \leq i,j \leq k, then neither: b | a nor a | b, so I am stuck :frown:!
(edited 5 years ago)
For arbitrary i, show that if r_i > Min(a_i, b_i) then r doesn't divide one of a, b (so r isn't the gcd) and if it's <min (a_i, b_i) then p_i r divides both a, b and so r isn't the gcd.
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
For arbitrary i, show that if r_i > Min(a_i, b_i) then r doesn't divide one of a, b (so r isn't the gcd) and if it's <min (a_i, b_i) then p_i r divides both a, b and so r isn't the gcd.

Thank you, don't know why I didn't think of this.
By the way, is this for the general argument proving the whole question, or is it just in addition to my method? i.e. do I have to show my ideas for if li>mi,mi>li,li=mil_i > m_i, m_i > l_i, l_i = m_i for all 1ik1 \leq i \leq k and what you said, or would doing what you said be enough for the entire proof?

I think showing what you said is enough for the entire proof right, as it rules out the other two cases implying r_i must be = min(m_i, l_i)?
It's almost sufficient and you certainly don't need the argument you posted.

To be comolete, you also need to show that there can't be any other primes (i.e. a prime P that's not any of p1,p2...) in the decomposition of r.
Reply 4
It's almost sufficient and you certainly don't need the argument you posted.

To be comolete, you also need to show that there can't be any other primes (i.e. a prime P that's not any of p1,p2...) in the decomposition of r.

Ok, thank you. I will work on it now.
Do you mean in the decomposition of the gcd of a and b, rather than r?
Reply 5

Ok, here are my current ideas:

1. Consider the number d = (p1r1....pkrk)(p_1^{r_1} * .... * p_k^{r_k}) where ri>min(li,mi)r_i > min(l_i, m_i), then you can rewrite this as: d=(p1l1....pklk)(p1r1l1....pkrklk)=a(p1r1l1....pkrklk) d = (p_1^{l_1} * .... * p_k^{l_k}) * (p_1^{r_1-l_1} * .... * p_k^{r_k-l_k}) = a * (p_1^{r_1-l_1} * .... * p_k^{r_k-l_k}). Hence, d > a and so d cannot divide a. You can also argue d cannot divide b by the same reasoning, but you only need to show d doesn't divide a or b to show it's not a common divisor, so I assume it's valid? Continuing, therefore, d doesn't divide a, hence it cannot be a common divisor of a and b, so it isn't the gcd of a and b.

2. Consider the number e = (p1r1....pkrk)(p_1^{r_1} * .... * p_k^{r_k}) where ri<min(li,mi)r_i < min(l_i, m_i). Assume that it is the greatest common divisor of a. Then you can write a as: a=(p1l1....pklk)=(p1r1....pkrk)(p1l1r1....pklkrk)=e(p1l1r1....pklkrk) a = (p_1^{l_1} * .... * p_k^{l_k}) = (p_1^{r_1} * .... * p_k^{r_k}) * (p_1^{l_1-r_1} * .... * p_k^{l_k-r_k}) = e * (p_1^{l_1-r_1} * .... * p_k^{l_k-r_k}). Hence, a is divisible by e, so e | a. We can do a similar argument for b, replacing the lil_i with mim_i for 1ik1 \leq i \leq k. So, r | a and r | b. But, since ri<min(li,mi)r_i < min(l_i, m_i) for 1ik1 \leq i \leq k, then since all r, l and m are integers: ri<lir_i < l_i and ri<mir_i < m_i. So, ri+1lir_i+1 \leq l_i and ri+1mir_i+1 \leq m_i for all 1ik1 \leq i \leq k. So, if you take ri+1r_i+1, it will still divide both a and b (by similar argument as first part, finding it difficult to repeat the latex...), but now the powers are greater than if r_i is used, so that e.g. f = product of all pir+1p_i^{r+1} for iiki \leq i \leq k is a greater common divisor of a and b, hence a contradiction.

3. The gcd(a,b) cannot have any other distinct primes in its decomposition other than the ones in the decomposition of a and b. Because, primes are only divisible by 1 and themselves, any prime in the decomposition of a and b is only divisible by itself and 1. So, any other prime in the decomposition of the gcd(a,b) that is not in the decomposition of a or b, will not divide any prime factors in a or b, hence it won't be a factor, let alone prime factor of a and b, which will imply that the gcd cannot divide a or b, and lead to a contradiction. So, any prime factor in gcd(a,b) would have to be in the prime factorization of both a and b.
(edited 5 years ago)
(1)+(2) have serious errors making them invalid. (3) looks ok.

To follow ghostwalker's example: I'm not going to reply further here.
Reply 7
(1)+(2) have serious errors making them invalid. (3) looks ok.

To follow ghostwalker's example: I'm not going to reply further here.

OK, I think I found the error for (a). Thanks
Reply 8
I'd show that if ri>min{i,mi} r_i > \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} then x=pirix= \prod p_i ^{r_i } doesn't divide one of a or b so we need rimin{i,mi} r_i \leq \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} . Clearly largest integer that satisfies this is the one where ri=min{i,mi} r_i = \text{min} \{\ell _i , m_i \} .
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
I'd show that if ri>min{i,mi} r_i > \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} then x=pirix= \prod p_i ^{r_i } doesn't divide one of a or b so we need rimin{i,mi} r_i \leq \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} . Clearly largest integer that satisfies this is the one where ri=min{i,mi} r_i = \text{min} \{\ell _i , m_i \} .

Yes, I think that's what I realised my mistake was: ri>min{i,mi} r_i > \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} , then it is greater than the smaller out of the two, m_i and l_i. So, if it is greater than m_i, x can't divide b, if it is greater than l_i, x can't divide a. Oh, yeah, I get your approach now, thank you!

EDIT: Can I do the same with part 2 of my proof: ri<min{i,mi} r_i < \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} , then it is definitely smaller than the minimum of m_i and l_i, whichever is the smaller. So, I can say it divides a and b, because it is smaller than both m_i and l_i. I feel the mistake in my proof starts where I say r_i + 1 <= l_i. Can you confirm that? Is it that I can't assume they have a difference of 1, it may be that r < m but r = 2, m = 5? etc... Then, I'm not sure how to continue from that point.
I can only think of: If you choose e_i = min(m_i, l_i), then the product of all primes raised to the power of e_i for 1 <= i <= k, it divides both a and b, and therefore it is greater than r, so it is not the greatest common divisor?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Chittesh14
Yes, I think that's what I realised my mistake was: ri>min{i,mi} r_i > \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} , then it is greater than the smaller out of the two, m_i and l_i. So, if it is greater than m_i, x can't divide b, if it is greater than l_i, x can't divide a. Oh, yeah, I get your approach now, thank you!

EDIT: Can I do the same with part 2 of my proof: ri<min{i,mi} r_i < \text{min} \{\ell _i, m_i \} , then it is definitely smaller than the minimum of m_i and l_i, whichever is the smaller. So, I can say it divides a and b, because it is smaller than both m_i and l_i. I feel the mistake in my proof starts where I say r_i + 1 <= l_i. Can you confirm that? Is it that I can't assume they have a difference of 1, it may be that r < m but r = 2, m = 5? etc... Then, I'm not sure how to continue from that point.
I can only think of: If you choose e_i = min(m_i, l_i), then the product of all primes raised to the power of e_i for 1 <= i <= k, it divides both a and b, and therefore it is greater than r, so it is not the greatest common divisor?

If r_i<min(l_i, m_i) then certainly x divides both a and b. Also this means that r_i<l_i and r_i<m_i. So of course r_i+1<=l_i is true but I'm not sure what you're saying after that. Also what is r in the last paragraph?
I think the key here that if r_i>min then it doesn't divide a or b, If r_i<min then there's another number greater that divides a and b. So greatest divisor must be where r_i=min.
Think about another question: what does it mean for a number to be a common divisor of a and b.
Original post by B_9710
If r_i<min(l_i, m_i) then certainly x divides both a and b. Also this means that r_i<l_i and r_i<m_i. So of course r_i+1<=l_i is true but I'm not sure what you're saying after that. Also what is r in the last paragraph?
I think the key here that if r_i>min then it doesn't divide a or b, If r_i<min then there's another number greater that divides a and b. So greatest divisor must be where r_i=min.
Think about another question: what does it mean for a number to be a common divisor of a and b.

Yeah, I just meant: since r_i+1 <= l_i and r_i+1 <= m_i, then x=piri+1x = \prod p_i ^{r_i+1 } for 1 <= i <= k divides both a and b, leading to a contradiction that e was the greatest common divisor of a and b as x=piri+1x = \prod p_i ^{r_i+1 } > piri\prod p_i ^{r_i} since ri+1>rir_i+1 > r_i.

Cool, I will think about it and try to come up with something, thank you! :smile:.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest