The Student Room Group

Why do you care/not care about becoming rich?

Many people disagree over whether money is really that important, with those striving to be rich being in complete contrast to many who appear content with getting by relatively comfortably. Why do you care/not care about wealth? What are your perceptions and opinions of people who have the different opinion of you?

Scroll to see replies

I'd only really care for when I had kids, I'd want to be able to give them every opportunity and for them to not feel left out or worse off if I couldn't afford to support them, just to be able to give them a stable and easy childhood.
Cause money buys happiness. how would i be on tsr if me mum didn’t pay for the wifi
Original post by That'sGreat
Many people disagree over whether money is really that important, with those striving to be rich being in complete contrast to many who appear content with getting by relatively comfortably. Why do you care/not care about wealth? What are your perceptions and opinions of people who have the different opinion of you?

People look up to money for the wrong reasons, people value a successful human based on cash & fame, not how they got it or what else they do. ie. both Kim Kardashian & Richard Feynman are very wealthy & successful, but for some bizarre reason everyone admires the girl who gave Ray J a BJ & not the man who gave humanity knowledge and changed scientific understanding.

Nothing wrong with wanting money tho, it provides freedom, can relieve stresses of mortgage, job etc.
Provide opportunity for traveling, hobbies, children, charity.

I want money, but not so i can look like a wank3r on Insta, but just for the freedoms that it can provide...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4

I would much rather end up in a job where I am happy and enjoying it, rather than one that pays a very large amount but that I dread turning up to every morning. Of course money is very important, but there needs to be a balance. As NF says: "If money's where you find happiness, you'll always be poor"
Rich people are so poor, all they have is money. Sounds stupid but makes sense :wink:
Money is important to some extent, especially (as some people above have mentioned) since without it, your life is pretty much uncertain and every decision you make depends on money which doesnt sound like a way to really live life. personally, I dont want to be rich (I dont understand why anyone would need that much money and buying things would have less satisfaction), but I would want to be comfortable enough to get by and be able to afford doing the odd 'more expensive thing' (idk what that means to me yet lol)/ be able to give money away to ppl who need it or support good projects too. I dont really think anything about those who care a lot about wealth, apart from just wondering what's the point of having that much? I mean as long as they're actually happy and not hurting others with their wealth, to each their own?
Reply 7
All you motherfkers who say money doesnt buy happiness are just poor.
If you aren't ambitious your basically a loser lol. Look at the people struggling for basic neccesities, working harder and being able to be wealthy allows you to help those who are in need.

But no point saying your rich when you work 6 days a week, 9-5.
i don't mind whether I grow up to be rich or poor, id kinda prefer to be rich to have all the nice things, but if I don't, as long as I have enough to take care of myself decently, I'll be content. I haven't got an intense strong desire to be rich since I don't want to then develop a love for money, because the love of money is the root of all evil.

I sometimes treat my money like some burden and give it away to others who want it or spend it on things for people. or I save it for later and spend it all on something I want/need.

I get worried for those who make it their life's mission to be wealthy, because it could become and obsession and they could possibly get into sinful activities because of it. but at the same time, I wish them well.
Reply 9
Money buys happiness, case closed thank you for watching, like, comment and subscribe.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hello_shawn
Rich people are so poor, all they have is money. Sounds stupid but makes sense :wink:

Does it tho?
money obviously isn't completely irrelevant, but if i can afford the roof over my head, i'm not fussed about a fancy car or a big house or anything. there are other, arguably better ways to be happy and that's the most invaluable thing:cool:
Original post by hello_shawn

Mark Zuckerberg seems pretty happy...
To become rich you have to provide value to the world. I won't become rich because I'm not willing to provide the value.
Original post by ollie1520
To become rich you have to provide value to the world. I won't become rich because I'm not willing to provide the value.

You aren't willing to provide value to anything?
Because I wouldn't know what to do with all that money if I was rich and would just hoard it or end up giving most of it to charity :colondollar:I just want a 30k per year salary.
You aren't willing to provide value to anything?

I'm willing to provide some value but I'm not going to dedicate my life to working. I won't get your 250k hot shot IB job. I'm not willing to work 100 hour weeks for years and years, I don't want to deal with all the bs else it will bring
(edited 5 years ago)
I am happy in the 30k ballpark, as a single person that’s enough to live a comfortable life. However the only reason why I would want more money and why I’m quite ambitious is because eventually I might have a family and kids and ultimately I want to give them more opportunities than I had when I was young, So I would want to give them things like private education and hope they would do well in life with an easier route. Ultimately if this doesn’t happen then the money saved I’ll just end up investing and having fun with. So yeah I think it’s important to gain a lot of wealth.
Reply 18
I don't care about excesses, so I don't get caught up caring too heavily about money. As long as I can afford to pay the bills, buy some geet-arrs, and go the boozer, I'm relatively happy. Not really arsed about people with divergent opinions on it, don't encounter that many (thankfully) and their stance has no impact on my life.
I'd be happy with around 200k a year as long as my partner made roughly the same. It's nowhere near my parents' income but it would be enough for me and the life I want. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending