The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to have a racial ‘type’?

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/modern-love?vpid=p0774g47

When she talks about how as soon as someone says “You’re my type”, she “knows” it’s down to her mixed-race is laughable - she ASSUMES it’s down to her race because that’s the narrative she believes in.

I suppose some of the things she says are true, in particular being more inclined to chose certain characteristics because you’re attracted to specific traits. I find myself more attracted to girls with smaller mouthes and smaller noses - which could mean I have a greater preference in white women... but that doesn’t stop me dating black women or Latina women if I find those same characteristics in them.

Attraction and beauty is almost entirely subjective, and that’s what I find most nauseating about the video. Why does it matter?

Scroll to see replies

depends. if you say 'i exclusively date this race because they are the prettiest and all others are ugly' then its morally wrong.

but if you acknowledge all races are beautiful and have a slight preference, it's fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Rid The Kid
depends. if you say 'i exclusively date this race because they are the prettiest and all others are ugly' then its morally wrong.

but if you acknowledge all races are beautiful and have a slight preference, it's fine.

Sure it’s morally wrong, but who truly cares.

Define a ‘slight preference’. Again it’s all subjective, who are we to define who you should date and who you should consider.
It's not wrong to say "I prefer x race of girls because I just do"

Like everyone has a personal preference.

But if you say "I won't date x race because they are that race" that's a bit difference.
How is it morally wrong. Attractiveness is subjective? People can't choose who they are attracted to, sure the way you said it is rude and we should all be respectful to each other but if you don't find a particular race attractive, that's fair enough, let that person find someone who does.
Original post by Rid The Kid

As long as you are not dating someone just because of their race. Like you do actually love them. And you won’t ditch them for a younger attractive girl of the same race
Another one of these racial attractiveness threads :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

But if you say "I won't date x race because they are that race" that's a bit difference.

The same could be said about no wanting to date transpeople, but even then activists could accuse you of transphobia.
No, it is perfectly fine to have such preferences so long as they are not influenced by other factors (e.g. you're parents not wanting you to date someone outide your race). If you are more attracted to white people over black people then you cannot help that; these SJWs are happy to say that sexual preference isn't a choice when it comes to gay/trans/bi people but suddenly have a problem when it comes to race.
(edited 4 years ago)
I won't date men because they are that gender. Is that wrong? If I don't find someone attractive I won't date them, if I don't find a particular race attractive I won't date them, who cares?
Original post by TheRealSquiddy

Original post by Occitanie
The same could be said about no wanting to date transpeople, but even then activists could accuse you of transphobia.

Well that would be their perogative. But the simple rebuttal is "just not my thing" it's that simple.
Original post by dannyd123
I won't date men because they are that gender. Is that wrong? If I don't find someone attractive I won't date them, if I don't find a particular race attractive I won't date them, who cares?

No, you don't date men because you are not gay or bisexual.

And that was literally my point?
Reply 12
Original post by user2809
No, it is perfectly fine to have such preferences so long as they are not influenced by other factors (e.g. you're parents not wanting you to date someone outide your race). If you are more attracted to white people over black people then you cannot help that; these SJWs are happy to say that sexual preference isn't a choice when it comes to gay/trans/bi people but suddenly have a problem when it comes to race.

The mind boggles.
It depends, racial preferences are a bit wierd and possibly racist.

But aesthetic preferences that manifest in dating different races are not.

If you see what I mean:

The first is a person who says they will only date black girls, and no matter the body shape/personality/look of any other girl, they only date black girls = racist.

The second is a person who is attracted to big lips, large bums, darker skin tones, brown eyes etc... and on average they find those traits more often in black girls.. so while they don't go out looking to only date black girls, because more black girls have those traits, they end up dating more black girls = not racist.
Original post by Occitanie
The mind boggles.

Original post by user2809

SJW here. I agree that, similarly to overall sexual orientation, sexual preferences among races are not necessarily a choice and that no one should be held accountable for them. I have no problems with that.

I will say though that getting it into one's head that one is not attracted to a certain race is probably kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Also - if your boyfriend says they have a 'type' and you are that 'type - great! good for you, you are exactly what your boyfriend likes.. isn't that what you want to be?

Do you really want him to like all other girls, and apperances as much as he likes you? You being his type, and him being yours is exactly what you want if you want your relationship to work well.
Original post by fallen_acorns
It depends, racial preferences are a bit wierd and possibly racist.

But aesthetic preferences that manifest in dating different races are not.

If you see what I mean:

The first is a person who says they will only date black girls, and no matter the body shape/personality/look of any other girl, they only date black girls = racist.

The second is a person who is attracted to big lips, large bums, darker skin tones, brown eyes etc... and on average they find those traits more often in black girls.. so while they don't go out looking to only date black girls, because more black girls have those traits, they end up dating more black girls = not racist.

Surely skin would fall within the realm of aesthetic preferences?
racial preferences are closed minded. just say youre not attracted to someone because you dont find them attractive. to then zoom into their race isolates a large group of people whom youre just assuming you wont find attractive because you dont find a couple of people from that race attractive. im pretty sure there is someone of every race you will find attractive so theres no point closing them off.
Never seen anybody identify as a SJW. I've seen anti "anti-SJW"
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
SJW here. I agree that, similarly to overall sexual orientation, sexual preferences among races are not necessarily a choice and that no one should be held accountable for them. I have no problems with that.

I will say though that getting it into one's head that one is not attracted to a certain race is probably kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Literately nobody cares who you are attracted too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending