The Student Room Group

Are we too obsessed with our phones?

Poll

Do you use your phone while walking?

Two things have happened to me this week that have made me wonder - are we too obsessed with our phones?

1. Owning up to my own shame here - I very nearly ran into an electricity box while walking down the street typing on my phone. :rofl: I stopped just in time, and had a good old laugh. All I could think was 'I 100% would have deserved that'. Absolutely my own stupid fault. Headphones in, looking at my phone, zero spatial awareness. Idiot.

2. I've just looked out the window and counted the number of people staring at their smartphones while on their morning commute. It was 60%. I counted for ten people. Six of them were on their phones. Obviously not representative at all, but just got me thinking.

I have also noticed we now have big stickers on the pavement in Brighton, warning you that most pedestrian road traffic accidents are because of pedestrians on their phones (or something like that).

So... can we seriously not walk down the street without being on our phones? Obviously I include myself in this - the day after I nearly ran into a stationary object, I still found myself walking along on my phone. Why don't I learn my lesson!?

What do you reckon? Too obsessed? Or is it just me?

Scroll to see replies

I’d only look at my phone on the street if needed for navigatio. But even then I step to the side of the pavement.

I look at it like this. On public transport the main alternative to staring at your phone is reading a newspaper, nobody would seriously consider walking along the road reading a paper, so why a phone?

If you’ve recently had an operation then walking through a city with people not looking where they are going is terrifying.
Reply 2
I wake up. I check my phone and browse some bits unless I have something to do in which case i'll get on with those.

If I go out i'll usually only check it/use if i'm in an awkward situation/bored. Rest of the time i'll just do whatever we're doing. I'm quite chilled but if I know I might have message from someone I need to reply to but can't due to driving or something i'll get whoever i'm with to read it/reply for me :lol:

Long train journeys i'll usually just sit there is silence looking out the window thinking about life unless I have someone to chat to :moon:

Not a huge phone fan to be honest :shakecane:
My blog is my diary/life(call me sad idc) so i need my phone to go on it. i definitely go on my phone for at least 7 hours each day.
Reply 4
I only really use my phone on public transport to WhatsApp people, and at home to listen to music. Other than that, I barely even touch it.
Reply 5
I feel that snapchat and instagram have contributed to this. Too much snapchatting and instagramming these days. whatever happened to living in the moment, rather than worrying about how we look for the gram or doing it for the snap.
(edited 4 years ago)
Not at all.

Occasionally I put my phone down and reach for my tablet.
My top three apps are Citymapper, WhatsApp and YouTube (music). I deactivated FB, Insta and Twitter and it's helped reduce phone use, but I'm inadvertently directing that time/energy to TSR :u:.
Reply 8
Walking is the best time to think things through, why waste it staring at your phone
Reply 9
I use my phone on the bus or if I'm waiting for one, but unless I need to pop on my phone very briefly I don't walk with it and I always look up to see where I'm going.
Reply 10
Original post by BlinkyBill
Two things have happened to me this week that have made me wonder - are we too obsessed with our phones?

1. Owning up to my own shame here - I very nearly ran into an electricity box while walking down the street typing on my phone. :rofl: I stopped just in time, and had a good old laugh. All I could think was 'I 100% would have deserved that'. Absolutely my own stupid fault. Headphones in, looking at my phone, zero spatial awareness. Idiot.

2. I've just looked out the window and counted the number of people staring at their smartphones while on their morning commute. It was 60%. I counted for ten people. Six of them were on their phones. Obviously not representative at all, but just got me thinking.

I have also noticed we now have big stickers on the pavement in Brighton, warning you that most pedestrian road traffic accidents are because of pedestrians on their phones (or something like that).

So... can we seriously not walk down the street without being on our phones? Obviously I include myself in this - the day after I nearly ran into a stationary object, I still found myself walking along on my phone. Why don't I learn my lesson!?

What do you reckon? Too obsessed? Or is it just me?

Working in mobile phone insurance, we are absolutely are too obsessed.

EDIT: I've also done the whole walking into a post thing whilst on my phone - I was messaging @ParadoxSocks, walked into a lamp post, broke my glasses and caused a cut on my nose :lol:
(edited 4 years ago)
If I'm out I like to be out and in the moment e.g when I'm walking in the forest. I only really use my phone for tsr and whatsapp
Reply 12
As Elon Musk puts it... "We're already cyborgs, that phone is a virtual extension of yourself". "The only difference between a chip in your brain and a phone is the bandwidth"

🍲 4 💭
(edited 4 years ago)
*I ironically type this with my phone right next to me* but sometimes I honestly forget I have a phone. Like, I'll just leave it on my bedside table on the weekends and people will try to contact me and I won't see it until a couple of hours later or if I forget to turn my notifications off... whoops!
I admit I am on my phone a fair bit. When I wake up, I use it. Typically this is to video call my other half (valid reason imo) but sometimes just to scroll through social media before I muster the energy to get out of my cocoon.

I use it during the day a fair bit too. Just aimless scrolling, playing games or actually useful things like researching stuff or talking to people. I have a bad habit of using my phone when I watch TV. I struggle to just sit there and stare at the TV. I need to be doing something. This usually ends up being aimless scrolling, but I'd happily replace my phone with a hobby like crochet if I had the stuff. My dad gets really annoyed at me for it.

I don't use my phone when walking though, unless it's important or I'm using google maps. Mainly because I'm too scared of being that person who walks into a lamppost or falls into a fountain. If I need to use it, I make sure I move over to the side of the street and use it. I hate people who slow down to a snail's pace or stop in the middle of the street because they're on their phone.

I use my phone if I'm on a long train/bus/car journey to pass the time as there isn't much else to do. And I use it before bed too (although I really should be finishing my book!).

So yes a mild obsession I'd say :tongue:
I get up, check the weather on my phone (despite having a window in my room), go to the gym watch Netflix/Youtube, go to work, plug my headphones in listening to music whilst checking social media. Lunchtime, headphones still plugged in wandering around looking at my phone (I am guilty of nearly walking into a lamppost), repeat in the afternoon.

I became very aware once lunchtime whilst walking around the part during the heatwave, everyone that was enjoying the sunshine in the park were on their phones taking selfies or doing something, nobody was actually enjoying the day for what it was.

I've tried to use my phone less but in my current role, this isn't easy.
(edited 4 years ago)
I only ever use my phone when walking if it's for something urgent or urgentish, e.g. lost and contacting the person I'm trying to get to. But then, that's all I ever use my phone for anyway.

Original post by Andrew97
nobody would seriously consider walking along the road reading a paper, so why a phone?

Replace newspaper with book, and I totally disagreee with you there.
It's not just phones though. If it was just a phone it would be fine. In reality it's also the computer at work, the TV at home, the tablet/kindle, the xbox and the phone as well. Sometimes I genuinely feel like I'm living life through a screen.
Reply 18
I think most people use their phones an acceptable amount. The panic is massively overblown. I mainly use mine for communicating with people or reading things that I am interested in (mostly for work). I don't see anything morally wrong or psychologically damaging about either of those things.

Warning signs of an actual problem:
using your phone at times you shouldn't (eg, walking down the street, sitting in the pub with your other half)
using for phone for things that aren't actually useful or genuinely beneficial, like these weird ****s who constantly take photographs of themselves. WHY?
Original post by desou
I think most people use their phones an acceptable amount. The panic is massively overblown. I mainly use mine for communicating with people or reading things that I am interested in (mostly for work). I don't see anything morally wrong or psychologically damaging about either of those things.

Warning signs of an actual problem:
using your phone at times you shouldn't (eg, walking down the street, sitting in the pub with your other half)
using for phone for things that aren't actually useful or genuinely beneficial, like these weird ****s who constantly take photographs of themselves. WHY?

If my other half was on his phone at the pub, he wouldn't even notice I'd left. I think thats really rude and disrespectful.

As for the selfies, I hate them. I don't do them and hate people who think this is a nice tree lets take a selfie etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending