The Student Room Group

What makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex?

Seeing as genetically determined attraction to the opposite sex underpins so much of biology and evolution, homosexuality is a very interesting and counterintuitive scientific phenomenon.

But I'm not so confused about attraction to the same sex, after all I don't think there's anything programmed within us to actively stop this; rather I'm more curious about how one is not attracted to the opposite sex. Does anyone know the scientific reason for this or is a still a mystery? Is it genetic (like a different balance of hormones) or environmental? It's hard to understand when you consider that the main aim of the entire DNA system is to get you to reproduce.

I understand this is not really 'relationships' as much as 'science' but I wanted to post anon because I know a lot of people will take this the wrong way.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Seeing as genetically determined attraction to the opposite sex underpins so much of biology and evolution, homosexuality is a very interesting and counterintuitive scientific phenomenon.

But I'm not so confused about attraction to the same sex, after all I don't think there's anything programmed within us to actively stop this; rather I'm more curious about how one is not attracted to the opposite sex. Does anyone know the scientific reason for this or is a still a mystery? Is it genetic (like a different balance of hormones) or environmental? It's hard to understand when you consider that the main aim of the entire DNA system is to get you to reproduce.

I understand this is not really 'relationships' as much as 'science' but I wanted to post anon because I know a lot of people will take this the wrong way.

Why do straight people not find the same sex attractive, how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex
Reply 2
Original post by shelly100
Why do straight people not find the same sex attractive, how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex

Sensible replies only please.
Our sexual orientation; can you choose to be attracted to the opposite sex?
Reply 4

That was positing a similar idea, don't start a discussion if you want to say people are posting stupid replies when they don't.

I'm curious as to why a larger precentage of the population isn't bisexual.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bio 7
That was positing a similar idea, don't start a discussion if you want to say people are posting stupid replies when they don't.

"How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" is sensible to you?

I don't think it's a choice? What I'm asking is what biologically is different to make someone not attracted to the same sex? Has there been any successful research into this?
"How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" is sensible to you?

I don't think it's a choice? What I'm asking is what biologically is different to make someone not attracted to the same sex? Has there been any successful research into this?

Google scholar is your friend; this type of thread has been done to death on here and everyone's sick of it
Reply 7

Could be that people have strong preferences but trying to be with the opposite sex might make them interested. It would be interesting for more people that ID as straight to try same-sex experiences to experiment.
Reply 8
Has it? Well I never saw any threads asking the same question so sorry about that. I think it's an extremely interesting question though.
Reply 9
Original post by Bio 7
Could be that people have strong preferences but trying to be with the opposite sex might make them interested. It would be interesting for more people that ID as straight to try same-sex experiences to experiment.

Idk, I think those who are born straight are strongly attracted to the opposite sex even without 'trying'. This is determined by genetics. What's not clear is what's different in the genetics of gay people (assuming homosexuality is completely innate). I guess one first needs to understand precisely how genetics drive sexual attraction.
Has it? Well I never saw any threads asking the same question so sorry about that. I think it's an extremely interesting question though.

We get loads of threads on here questioning if gay people are really gay biologically and the threads always devolve into rabid homophobia and nonsense getting banded around so asking on here is pointless; go and look at pubmed studies if you really want to know and aren't just trying to stir up homophobia
There are a lot of intelligent and rational people on here though so I thought I could get an insightful take. That last suggestion is a bit insulting though, considering I never said anything even remotely homophobic. In fact the controversy around the topic is just unfortunate, considering the question itself is so intriguing. Probably we'd have a better answer if it wasn't such a touchy topic.
Reply 12
Early exposure to Kylie.
There are a lot of intelligent and rational people on here though so I thought I could get an insightful take. That last suggestion is a bit insulting though, considering I never said anything even remotely homophobic. In fact the controversy around the topic is just unfortunate, considering the question itself is so intriguing. Probably we'd have a better answer if it wasn't such a touchy topic.

These types of threads always get deleted for violating TSR guidelines because TSR is full of people who hate gay people. Considering this is neither a scientific nor a research paper website it is a poor place to look for evidence or studies in any case
'Full of' is an overstatement - the vast majority of people here seem very accepting. I mean someone in this thread almost tried to argue that "How do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex?" is a reasonable question purely to disagree with me. I understand that there are some trolls but I wanted to start a discussion with rational members of the site. Perhaps people here don't like debates surrounded by controversy which is fine. It's certainly sensible to steer clear of controversial topics. I just wanted to hear suggestions from the more knowledgeable amongst us but never mind, hopefully something concrete will come to light in the future.

That is a sensible reply. You asked what makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex, and they asked what makes straight people not attracted to the same sex. They're using your dumbass argument against you :h:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Glaz
That is a sensible reply. You asked what makes gay people not attracted to the opposite sex, and they asked what makes straight people not attracted to the same sex. They're using your dumbass argument against you :h:

When did I make a "dumbass argument"? What point did I make that you disagree with? As I expected, you've just glanced at my post and instantly branded it as homophobia for no good reason.

Just to confirm, you're calling "how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" sensible?
All I've done is raised a question here. If anyone wants to make points or disagree with anything I said please be clear and respectful.
Reply 18
I'm sure you'll find far better answers if you look into scientific articles on the matter. There are no knowledgeable people here who can help you.
When did I make a "dumbass argument"? What point did I make that you disagree with? As I expected, you've just glanced at my post and instantly branded it as homophobia for no good reason.

Just to confirm, you're calling "how do you know you are straight if you've never been with the same sex" sensible?

I'm calling it sensible because you are making the EXACT same argument

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending