The Student Room Group

Why are the younger generation not wearing poppies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kaffee_1998
I wouldn't alwyas attribute a lack of care. In my case, I simply haven't had the opportunity to get one. It doesn't stop me from paying my respects.

i understand that, but i was just trying to raise a point that it’s not only people of the younger generation not wearing a poppy. i agree that not having a poppy doesn’t mean a person cannot pay their respects, but i wasn’t going to just read that & let all blame be pin-pointed on the younger generation because the original post gave me the impression that it was all being aimed at the younger generation when really, it’s not.
Original post by Napp
You need more than a month?

Elaborate how it’s rubbish.
I didn’t say we need more than a month ffs, cant u ppl read! “If THE month was given more attention...” or our own symbol, troops get a moment of silence, and black history month is a month dedicated to our whole History, our entire history isn’t comprised of slavery but oh well
Reply 62
Original post by nathan_nacu
Elaborate how it’s rubbish.

Which bit? That Britain somehow owes Africa a living or that British soldiers " majority of which participated in these racist activities and had zoos of my people on display." Both of which are utterly risible.

I didn’t say we need more than a month ffs, cant u ppl read!

:rolleyes:
“If THE month was given more attention...” or our own symbol, troops get a moment of silence, and black history month is a month dedicated to our whole History, our entire history isn’t comprised of slavery but oh well

So you're upset that soldiers get a minutes silence and blacks get a month?! Pardon me but this would seem slightly odd. I mean given that we're in England and not Africa, nor America for that matter, the fact that African history is given so much attention would seem to be something to be thankful for given that Britain does not have a particularly large segment of its society being black (hence the America reference).
I mean simple maths, not only relative to population but also to Africas importance in the British curriculum vis-a-vis the rest of the world would seem to give it unjust importance, no?
it is not just youngsters who do not commemorate the Fallen of our nation. Mr Corbin did not bother turning up for the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall this evening.

he is happy to travel to far off countries to pay his respects to dead terrorists though.
Original post by Napp
So you're upset that soldiers get a minutes silence and blacks get a month?! Pardon me but this would seem slightly odd. I mean given that we're in England and not Africa, nor America for that matter, the fact that African history is given so much attention would seem to be something to be thankful for given that Britain does not have a particularly large segment of its society being black (hence the America reference).
I mean simple maths, not only relative to population but also to Africas importance in the British curriculum vis-a-vis the rest of the world would seem to give it unjust importance, no?

Well your country did enslave my ppl so I’d say yes you owe us some reparations? The USA gives reparations for its Japanese citizens for a reason.....
We don’t get a month for slavery we get one for HISTORY to celebrate the efforts of black ppl and their contributions to society! But still no emphasis on slavery and the crimes of the British ppl. Where did you hear ANYONE talk about slavery in October, TELL ME! As I said previously, Dont give me the argument of we’re in England not Africa, I’m here because centuries ago someone you could even be related to dragged my forefather on a boat against his will so dont give me that. Thankful? What attention is given to African history? We have a month but that month isn’t even acknowledged by major societal fanctions or acknowledged...... in class our efforts are whitewashed with the British ethnocentric curriculum, nobody knows about how the efforts of many black nurses saved the NHS in the 80s, some ppl dont even know Colombus was a mass murderer. A large population may not be black but our influence is undeniable! There’s a reason why one of the biggest social events in the UK every year is Notting Hill carnival, can’t even be bothered to go on. Troops don’t just get a minute they get poppy appeals and donations, where’s my donations for being a result of slave trade?
Reply 65
honestly? i genuinely don't care.
not going to lie I reuse my poppy badge that I found on the floor.
Reply 67
Original post by nathan_nacu
Well your country did enslave my ppl so I’d say yes you owe us some reparations? The USA gives reparations for its Japanese citizens for a reason.....

Do you have any idea how many countries participated in the slave trade? Never mind the fact that since those who actually were enslaved are long since dead the point is utterly mute as i completely fail to see why you or anyone else should pay or be paid for the actions of generations long since passed.

We don’t get a month for slavery we get one for HISTORY to celebrate the efforts of black ppl and their contributions to society!

Uhuh
But still no emphasis on slavery and the crimes of the British ppl.

I just find it rather droll that you think the British are such evil scoundrels yet you chose to live there. Most amusing.
Where did you hear ANYONE talk about slavery in October, TELL ME!

Nowhere, I was in Malaysia and strangely enough they dont have much of an interest in it...
As I said previously, Dont give me the argument of we’re in England not Africa, I’m here because centuries ago someone you could even be related to dragged my forefather on a boat against his will so dont give me that.

Well you're more than welcome to go back and be with your kin, absolutely nobody is forcing you to remain here. Although i get the feeling you'd probably enjoy life in Britain a touch more than in such delightful places as CAR, Sierre Leone, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and so on so forth.

Thankful? What attention is given to African history?

Strangely enough, since its Britain, the vast majority of attention is going to be given to British and European history. If you're having trouble figuring out why, well then, hope is lost.
We have a month but that month isn’t even acknowledged by major societal fanctions or acknowledged...... in class our efforts are whitewashed with the British ethnocentric curriculum,

Again, do you know what country you're in? :lol: I doubt you'd be whining about the lack of British history being taught in CAR, for example.
nobody knows about how the efforts of many black nurses saved the NHS in the 80s, some ppl dont even know

Most people dont know about the Eastern Europeans, Pinoys, Latin Americans etc. What is your point?
Colombus was a mass murderer.

So?
A large population may not be black but our influence is undeniable!

Blacks have an influence as does any race or people but you seem to be trying to inflate it disproportionately.
There’s a reason why one of the biggest social events in the UK every year is Notting Hill carnival, can’t even be bothered to go on.

Err did you just say it was one of the biggest social events but noone can be bothered to go? that would seem to be a contradiction in terms.
Troops don’t just get a minute they get poppy appeals and donations, where’s my donations for being a result of slave trade?

Ah and there we have it. This most pitiful victim complex. Again, you're more than welcome to bugger off to Africa or wherever and to its delightful social care, low crime, high employment, lack of war, disease and pestilence, oh, wait...
You seem to have a delightfully large chip on your shoulder that does little more than make you out a white hating complainer which in turn rather undermines all of your arguments, even the ones with a touch of merit. Because, and i cannot stress this enough, you were not part of the slave trade and can hardly be described as suffering from it.

I don’t think how many countries that participated makes it right...... oh but all the ppl who participated in World War I are dead? At least in this country, why must we remember them. Oh and btw slavery was only abolished in the western world completely in the 20th century so thats a lie, ppl still were slaves and are still alive. Why should the families of war veterans be paid for the actions of generations past then? You say we should forget it because the victims are gone lol thats rich, let the country get away with genocide but 20 years from now when we’ll be 3 generations away from WWI i bet we’ll still hold memorials for them
I didn’t choose to live here? I was dragged here centuries ago? It’s my home as much as yours and I was born and raised here as were my parents. What i find ‘droll’ is how you’re making it seem like I’m crazy for being angry that the mass genocide of my people that killed more victims than WWI has just been swept away. Why would i go back when all my family is here? Why should i have to leave? Because the country won’t take responsibility for its actions and it would make the white nationalists happy? I’ll have you know I’m from Nigeria and I even schooled there for a few years because I wanted to and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and culture. Actually in Africa the history curriculum is largely based around the UK as you did colonise and terrorise our countries for centuries so invalid argument.
I said can’t be bothered to go on ergo name more important african events. I’m not a white hater? I spoke about the country, never even mentioned the word white until this reply, you are the one trying to disregard your crimes Mr. Nationalist as though theyre nothing. You weren’t part of WWI so why do u where a poppy to remember it?
Original post by OR321
We can remember without wearing a Poppy ya know.......

It is very difficult to show respect without the poppy.

Lest we forget
Original post by LaPregunta

Lest we forget

Not really. I have 22 people that agree with me lmao, I’d say I’m in the right. :smile:

Lest we forget

I’ve seen people wearing poppies giggling through the silence.

The RAF put poppies on a military jet on active operations and then boasted about it on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151254509514885&id=26035834884&set=a.263638134884&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3E

Respect isn’t about wearing a badge.
Original post by OR321
Not really. I have 22 people that agree with me lmao, I’d say I’m in the right. :smile:

You are right because people agree with you?
Original post by PQ
I’ve seen people wearing poppies giggling through the silence.

The RAF put poppies on a military jet on active operations and then boasted about it on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151254509514885&id=26035834884&set=a.263638134884&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3E

Respect isn’t about wearing a badge.

You have misunderstood my message. I am not sayin that those who wear it are respectful.

What am sayin is the symbol of the poppy is one which constitutes respect when someone wears it. The poppy will not alter the person, so respect or disrespect is a matter of the person's character.

The poppy itself is the most respectful symbol to those who have died, not those who wear it.

Lest we forget
(edited 4 years ago)
You are right because people agree with you?

Make that 25
The younger generation can't remember to slap on a condom half the time, nevermind a poppy once a year.

Lest we forget

Not really, particularly given there's a lot of uses of the Poppy that aren't in any way showing respect (my favourite being the idiot wearing one with a swastika tattoo visible, or maybe decorating fighter jets with them, an act that's only second in it's tonedeafness to Nickelback). Not to mention that you don't need everyone else to see that you respect the sacrifices made by the forces in the world wars.
The below picture is exactly why I do not wear a poppy as a young individual.

It is my firm belief that it has been hijacked as a rampantly nationalistic symbol, glorifying wars that are unneeded such as Iraq or Afghanistan. I have donated to the Royal British Legion, but I will not be wearing a symbol that people have been culturally and politically forced to wear.
nqu9ko6n4kw11.jpg
Honestly, I’ve been so busy with schoolwork and life management that I completely forgot to buy one. Felt real bad about it when i realised.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not really, particularly given there's a lot of uses of the Poppy that aren't in any way showing respect (my favourite being the idiot wearing one with a swastika tattoo visible, or maybe decorating fighter jets with them, an act that's only second in it's tonedeafness to Nickelback). Not to mention that you don't need everyone else to see that you respect the sacrifices made by the forces in the world wars.

I am only sayin that it is a recognised symbol, with a recognised meanin, the best way to show respect would be to wear it. What would you suggest if not the poppy?

The over use I also think is bad, if I was covered it poppies I would consider that an awful gesture of rememberance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending