The Student Room Group

How is the BBC biased?

To me, it just seems that people aren't happy that the BBC isn't sharing their specific viewpoint. Both "the left" and "the right" have been complaining which suggests to me they can't be that biased.

Scroll to see replies

They're biased in favour of whatever they want to be in favour of at the time, that's kind of the problem. They generally let everyone down.
Original post by Treetop321
To me, it just seems that people aren't happy that the BBC isn't sharing their specific viewpoint. Both "the left" and "the right" have been complaining which suggests to me they can't be that biased.

Well, I think Dr. Who should be renamed Dr. PC. And I'm expecting the next incarnation to look like Dr. Frankenfurter.
Original post by StriderHort
They're biased in favour of whatever they want to be in favour of at the time, that's kind of the problem. They generally let everyone down.

They generally let everyone down - isn't a good sign if both political sides complain about its bias, as a measure of impartiality :smile:

I think a strong national broadcaster at least to be mandated to be impartial by law is very valuable and something we will only feel when we lose it, and the BBC has become recognisable across the world across so many languages for their reporting and should be protected.

There are loads of 'woke' interest stories that most people don't care about, and see as evidence as the BBC being left-wing (when in reality I think it's the reporters (middle-class Londoners) believing that these are important, beyond-the-political-spectrum views).

In terms of news, both sides believe it's biased. It's been nicknamed both the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation and the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. In my opinion the reason for this is that it's just not very good at its job anymore- certainly accurate reporting, good balance and fact checking have gone down. Maybe it was always like this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
In terms of news, both sides believe it's biased. I've seen it nicknamed the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation and the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. In my opinion the reason for this is that it's just not very good at its job anymore- certainly accurate reporting, good balance and fact checking have gone down. Maybe it was always like this.

You've just said both sides believe it to be biased it and then said it's not balanced, how do you reconcile those points? Don't they directly contradict one another?
Given that many people's views will have been shaped by the largely right wing (and sometimes foreign owned) press, anyone who is vaguely non-aligned will seem left wing to them.
Original post by Drewski
You've just said both sides believe it to be biased it and then said it's not balanced, how do you reconcile those points? Don't they directly contradict one another?

Sometimes the balance goes one way, sometimes it goes the other way.
Reply 8
Sometimes the balance goes one way, sometimes it goes the other way.

Yes. That's called balance.
Original post by Drewski
Yes. That's called balance.

If balance goes too far one way it's not balance by definition
If balance goes too far one way it's not balance by definition

But you've literally just said it goes the other way, too.

A shelf is balanced, but so is a seesaw. Movement along the spectrum does not mean it's not balanced.
Reply 11
I'm 'middle of the road', neither left or right wing, and I see the BBC as somewhat on the left-liberal side. Not massively, but it's there. The TV news, not so much (apart from vox pop selections), but it's very obvious on the website. Story selection is slanted towards what are tradionally considered left-liberal causes, disproportionate attention is paid to what I'd call 'pro-diversity/inclusion' type features - heavy focus on bigging up the achievements of anyone female, non-white, non-straight, non-able bodied, etc. It has a very 'we're righting social justice' sort of approach, which is typical of left-liberal sources.

It's similar in their non-factual content. Dr Who is the example most often held up, because it's turned into a preaching exercise, and a lot of their drama seems to go out of its way to provide some kind of 'message', always from the same political direction. The comedy isn't as solidly left-wing as C4, but it's not far off.

None of this is surprising, though, given the political tendency of those who usually enter the world of broadcasting (overwhelmingly a lot further left than the BBC comes across as) and the BBC's constant battle, seemingly in vain, to appeal to younger audiences.
Original post by Drewski
But you've literally just said it goes the other way, too.

A shelf is balanced, but so is a seesaw. Movement along the spectrum does not mean it's not balanced.

But on many individual articles/reports/outlooks there isn't this movement- it's biased one way. There are different viewpoints across the BBC but often they aren't aggregated, they're isolated off from each other, and precedence given disproportionately to some
(edited 4 years ago)
People who claim it is biased are generally doing so because the BBC does not outright support their views. The Question time accusations we always get (Bo Greens, more Remainer's than leavers etc) are an interesting one but don't really matter.
Original post by Andrew97
People who claim it is biased are generally doing so because the BBC does not outright support their views. The Question time accusations we always get (Bo Greens, more Remainer's than leavers etc) are an interesting one but don't really matter.

lol imagine the BBC and Sky News replaced by Fox News and MSNBC - impartiality mandated by law for a broadcaster is something which we will only realise when it is gone.

Believe the BBC should be protected, it is a globally recognised British product, and across borders and languages
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
They generally let everyone down - isn't a good sign if both political sides complain about its bias, as a measure of impartiality :smile:

I think a strong national broadcaster at least to be mandated to be impartial by law is very valuable and something we will only feel when we lose it, and the BBC has become recognisable across the world across so many languages for their reporting and should be protected.

The country and world are bigger than two words 'left' & 'right' surely? I feel they're certainly biased against open reporting and accountability, not 100%, but enough that you notice, I've just seen too many scandals, non stories blown up, and real stories utterly ignored to take off my taking off cap and blub for Auntie Beeb Gaw'bless! y'know?

The same arguments about its quality global coverage get made everytime it's licence fee is threatened, but it seems every time the quality of their programming has went down and they have better rivals, I honestly haven't watched it for year, but was under the impression it was a bit dross with lots of cuts?
Original post by StriderHort
The country and world are bigger than two words 'left' & 'right' surely? I feel they're certainly biased against open reporting and accountability, not 100%, but enough that you notice, I've just seen too many scandals, non stories blown up, and real stories utterly ignored to take off my taking off cap and blub for Auntie Beeb Gaw'bless! y'know?

The same arguments about its quality global coverage get made everytime it's licence fee is threatened, but it seems every time the quality of their programming has went down and they have better rivals, I honestly haven't watched it for year, but was under the impression it was a bit dross with lots of cuts?

Both the self styled Brexiteers and EU fanatics are disappointed they aren't siding with them, so come after the only thing that people from both extremes agree on for not taking positions.... if anyone ever wrote a political dystopia?

Mandated impartiality is extremely important or would be consigned to the dustbins of news such as Fox News, MSNBC, or The Sun.

Also, better rivals.... its the world's largest and one of the most recognisable broadcast news organisations, with 50 foreign news branches
(edited 4 years ago)

Read their editorial guidelines, and then read a news story. Preferably regarding the middle east or Islam. You will see the imagery they use, the language they use in calling Daesh 'Islamic State' but anyone against them Militias...
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Both the self styled Brexiteers and EU fanatics are disappointed they aren't siding with them, so come after the only thing that people from both extremes agree on for not taking positions.... if anyone ever wrote a political dystopia?

Mandated impartiality is extremely important or would be consigned to the dustbins of news such as Fox News, MSNBC, or The Sun.

Also, better rivals.... its the world's largest and one of the most recognisable broadcast news organisations, with 50 foreign news branches

Both those groups sounds naturally malcontent and as you say, likely feel anything short of complete endorsement is a betrayal to them. I feel a broadcaster can carry other biases beyond left and right, no one gave a monkey about remainers and brexiters a decade ago and the same issues were present in their reporting tone. I feel the BBC, or elements of it, will happily act like the Sun, FOX if it and when it suits them.

When I say 'better rivals' I more mean rivals that are constantly improving year on year rather than ones that have demonstrably overtaken the BBC, the media world is changing shape and 50 offices doesn't seem the all seeing power it once did. As said, it really does feel like the same argument of 'But it's Auntie Beeb with a global network!' is used decade after decade, but the pressure on them just gets bigger. (they remind me of Royal Mail and BT a bit, every year they seem to look a little more lost and sidelined)

This is just how I see them, I'm pretty biased against them myself tbh, I flat don't like them, the way they work, the stupid letters they send me, no adverts yet constant adverts, unjustly killing shows i like ect ect. I've came across quite a few of their lower level reporters and interviewers being dodgy and it's stuck with me.
The left and the right complain about different parts though.

Generally the right complain about political bias in non-news/political broadcasting. You will hear a lot of complaints about comedy shows, kids shows and dramas etc.. that all have heavily progressive leanings to them.

Generally the left complain about the factual/political/news broadcasting.. and how much airtime they give to right wing indvidiauls like farage, and boris.. and how hard they have been on corbyn.

Its perfectly possible for both to be correct.

---

In my experiance of watching the BBC, I would say the following is true:

- They are generally socially progressive and left-leaning. But they were also very anti-corbyn especially in their poltiical shows
- They are generally pro-royal, and pro-establishment, and as such don't favour really radical ideas.
- They are heavily pro-remain
- Their creative team are very progressive.. but this is inline with the creative industries in general, which are always on the progressive end of the spectrum
- They are also more pro-divesrity and especially pro-islam than the public at large.
- They are pro-union in general.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending