The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waldorf67
Thing is though, I don’t have any medical knowledge so correct me if I’m wrong. However surely by the time a vaccine/ anti-viral meds are released to the public the virus could have mutated and we’d be back to square one.

That does happen and the scientists who work on these things do a great deal of calculation and study to try to cater for 'upgrades' to the virus. This is true of all flu viruses.
China's leadership knew about the virus but did nothing for a crucial 2-week period to alert the public - during that time, massive public gatherings were allowed to go ahead in Wuhan, accelerating the spread of the virus.
https://www.ft.com/content/3da73290-5067-11ea-8841-482eed0038b1

Our own government appear to be following a similar path, at first downplaying the extent of the threat, making clumsy mistakes and now panicking.

The UK does not have anything like the medical resources required to treat the infected as this grows to become a pandemic.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
China's leadership knew about the virus but did nothing for a crucial 2-week period to alert the public - during that time, massive public gatherings were allowed to go ahead in Wuhan, accelerating the spread of the virus.
https://www.ft.com/content/3da73290-5067-11ea-8841-482eed0038b1

Our own government appear to be following a similar path, at first downplaying the extent of the threat, making clumsy mistakes and now panicking.

The UK does not have anything like the medical resources required to treat the infected as this grows to become a pandemic.

But even so less than 1% of Wuhun contracted the virus. So the Chinese government must have done something right.

Agreed about our government though. How can the NHS remotely deal with this considering it’s already at bursting point.
But even so less than 1% of Wuhun contracted the virus. So the Chinese government must have done something right.

Agreed about our government though. How can the NHS remotely deal with this considering it’s already at bursting point.

The inability of the Chinese government to address it until they couldn't avoid publicly addressing it has caused it to spread globally, as the characteristics of the Covid-19 include a prolonged period of infectability without symptoms. That's hardly 'doing something right'. It's a case of extremely stupid and damaging misapplication of face saving and political paranoia run amok with highly damaging consequences. I can't even imagine how we're going to have a 'normal' relationship with the Chinese government once the dust settles and their arrogance and stupidity have caused tens of millions of deaths globally, or even hundreds of millions.

The pandemic is going to expose the ghastly nature of a country where the interests of hedge fund managers and offshored Tory donors are prioritised above the wellbeing and health of much of the country.
The inability of the Chinese government to address it until they couldn't avoid publicly addressing it has caused it to spread globally, as the characteristics of the Covid-19 include a prolonged period of infectability without symptoms. That's hardly 'doing something right'. It's a case of extremely stupid and damaging misapplication of face saving and political paranoia run amok with highly damaging consequences. I can't even imagine how we're going to have a 'normal' relationship with the Chinese government once the dust settles and their arrogance and stupidity have caused tens of millions of deaths globally, or even hundreds of millions.

The pandemic is going to expose the ghastly nature of a country where the interests of hedge fund managers and offshored Tory donors are prioritised above the wellbeing and health of much of the country.

The virus is already stabilising in one of the world’s most densely populated countries, according to reports.

The death toll is below 80,000 for a population of 1.4 billion. If the virus stabilises in China, why should they be held accountable for the deaths of tens to hundreds of millions outside of China?

To me that would instead indicate that other countries had grossly failed to control the virus as China has done. I would argree with your argument if China was severely struggling to get to grips with the virus, but in my eyes their response was pretty effective.

That is pending (and praying a little) that the reports of the virus stabilising holds true.
The virus is already stabilising in one of the world’s most densely populated countries, according to reports.

The death toll is below 80,000 for a population of 1.4 billion. If the virus stabilises in China, why should they be held accountable for the deaths of tens to hundreds of millions outside of China?

To me that would instead indicate that other countries had grossly failed to control the virus as China has done. I would argree with your argument if China was severely struggling to get to grips with the virus, but in my eyes their response was pretty effective.

That is pending (and praying a little) that the reports of the virus stabilising holds true.

So be more like China? Get your welder out because we have buildings to weld up.
Reply 66
Original post by AngeryPenguin
What a simply bizarre conspiracy theory. Why would China destroy their own economy with quarantine measures if they actually wanted the virus to spread?

To deflect suspicion, obvs.
And notice how they waited until the virus had spread sufficiently before implementing "preventative measures"?

We don't know what the true picture is - a country like China run by a lying, twisted authoritarian regime that allows the selective murder of prisoners for their organs and imprisons millions for their religion is hardly a trusted source. What we do know is that the virus is now active all over China and what seems to be a downward curve may only be temporary. Many viral pandemics go through stages of temporary retreat and then wild expansion.
Just a brief diversion to give some information I've gleaned from various authoritative sources about some things to prepare if you think you might be vulnerable to the harmful effects of the virus.

Age/Sex
Older age groups over 60 are more vulnerable. Men are more vulnerable than women. Having said that, some quite young people have had severe experiences with the virus.

Here is the current mortality by age table based on WHO data from Feb 28th.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Prior medical conditions
People with diabetes, heart conditions, weakened immunity and respiratory conditions are all much more vulnerable.

Home treatments
If you have fever, you may have the virus. Using Ibuprofen may work against the fever. The body needs water and vitamins/minerals - hospitals are giving magnesium and potassium supplements. Drink lots of fluid. Wash regularly, clean surfaces. Use an alcohol-based hand wash or strong soap. Bleaching surfaces will have an effect provided the bleach is left in place for some time. Bleaching home utensils will be useful. Rinse thoroughly after bleaching. Antibiotic soaps are of no value.
Just a brief diversion to give some information I've gleaned from various authoritative sources about some things to prepare if you think you might be vulnerable to the harmful effects of the virus.

Age/Sex
Older age groups over 60 are more vulnerable. Men are more vulnerable than women. Having said that, some quite young people have had severe experiences with the virus.

Here is the current mortality by age table based on WHO data from Feb 28th.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Prior medical conditions
People with diabetes, heart conditions, weakened immunity and respiratory conditions are all much more vulnerable.

Home treatments
If you have fever, you may have the virus. Using Ibuprofen may work against the fever. The body needs water and vitamins/minerals - hospitals are giving magnesium and potassium supplements. Drink lots of fluid. Wash regularly, clean surfaces. Use an alcohol-based hand wash or strong soap. Bleaching surfaces will have an effect provided the bleach is left in place for some time. Bleaching home utensils will be useful. Rinse thoroughly after bleaching. Antibiotic soaps are of no value.

In regards to the gender stat. Approx half of the male population in China smoke, whereas I believe less than 5% of females do. That is probably a significant explanatory factor, more than sex itself.
(edited 4 years ago)
We don't know what the true picture is - a country like China run by a lying, twisted authoritarian regime that allows the selective murder of prisoners for their organs and imprisons millions for their religion is hardly a trusted source. What we do know is that the virus is now active all over China and what seems to be a downward curve may only be temporary. Many viral pandemics go through stages of temporary retreat and then wild expansion.

Very pessimistic! I think China recognises the need to work with us as opposed to against us on this. It is in their interest as well as ours.

Maybe I’m just naive
ITALY - In Lombardy, hospitals are close to collapse. Beds are running out, especially in ICU; meanwhile, readily available health professionals are on high demand.

This is the thread for all coronavirus discussions, in order to avoid cluttering the forum with 100+ different coronavirus updates.

I will update the OP with news as it comes in, with the thread title updated to the latest big news.

Why should you be concerned? Isn't it less bad than the flu?

Spoiler

Where did this come from?

Spoiler

Where has it spread?

Spoiler

What are governments doing about it?

Spoiler

How do I know if I have it?

Spoiler

Events in week 13
Sun 1 March

Spoiler

Fri 28 Feb

Spoiler

Thurs 27 Feb

Spoiler

Events in week 12

Spoiler

Events in week 11

Spoiler

Events in week 9
Weds 29 Jan

Spoiler

I’m Italian, from Emilia-Romagna, from a city that is almost border line with Lombardy. The situation is not as critical as you think.
We keep working nonstop and try to avoid the contacts with everyone.
Original post by DiddyDec
So be more like China? Get your welder out because we have buildings to weld up.

Don’t believe all the rubbish in the tabloids.
In regards to the gender stat. Approx half of the male population in China smoke, whereas I believe less than 5% of females do. That is probably a significant explanatory factor, more than sex itself.

Yes, we don't have a 'western death rate' table yet, although we probably soon will have. The data is helpful up to a point. Clearly everyone needs to wash their hands, use tissues and be careful in public places and not go out if running a fever and coughing.

EDIT
The ECDC (European Centre for Disease Control) are now publishing country-by-country data updates and continental data.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Frafiglio
I’m Italian, from Emilia-Romagna, from a city that is almost border line with Lombardy. The situation is not as critical as you think.
We keep working nonstop and try to avoid the contacts with everyone.

I don't think it is critical, yet. It will be a couple of weeks or so before that region reaches the level Wuhan was before its lockdown.

How easy is it to find masks (proper respirators such as N95/KN95/FFP2, not just surgical) where you live?
This is nuts... Christian cultists in South Korea have been busy deliberately spreading the virus. It's believed that almost all new cases in the country are either cultists themselves, or traceable to them. SK is up to 3,730 cases as of today.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-south-korea-cults-conservatives-china/
Don’t believe all the rubbish in the tabloids.

That isn't the tabloids, that the lengths that they go to.

It is the modern day plague house.

So is that the measures you wish us to use?
I don't think it is critical, yet. It will be a couple of weeks or so before that region reaches the level Wuhan was before its lockdown.

How easy is it to find masks (proper respirators such as N95/KN95/FFP2, not just surgical) where you live?

Actually there are none, where I live there is no more masks, gel for hands and supermarkets are almost empty all the time...
Plus, universities, bars, clubs, theatres, cinemas are closed, the close thing started last Monday and it’ll last till the 8th of March, if everything goes the right way...

So do you actually think the Chinese government is welding the doors of every individual suspected of the Coronavirus?

Do you actually believe that is the case?
British government has lost control.

Refusal of government to be held to account on BBC and now silencing of opposition.

Tricky days ahead.

Latest

Trending

Trending