The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
Fair play to Boris Johnson he came out and applauded the NHS

It's easy for politicians to applaud things. The real test is will they give the NHS what it needs in future years. They didn't for the last 10 years.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's easy for politicians to applaud things. The real test is will they give the NHS what it needs in future years. They didn't for the last 10 years.

Yeah alright give it a rest, at least he is trying now
Original post by Rock Fan
Fair play to Boris Johnson he came out and applauded the NHS

Did you?
Original post by Pinkisk
A new reporting method? Do you have any sources on this method?

Taken from the BBC website:

"Thursday saw a change in the way NHS England and the Department of Health are reporting deaths.

The latest figures are for a 24-hour period, but Wednesday's were not - they were only for eight hours - from 0900 to 1700 on Tuesday 24 March.

Thursday's figures are for a full 24-hour period, from 1700 on Tuesday 24 March to 1700 on Wednesday 25 March.

So Wednesday's rise of 28 reported deaths and the 107 reported deaths on Thursday cannot be directly compared."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534
The US now has the highest number of infections in the world.
Original post by Pinkisk

I'm not sure what their requirements are for testing but at least they're testing a lot.
Original post by DSilva
Did you?

Yeah I did, unfortunately almost no one else on my street did
Original post by Pinkisk

Might be just because they're testing more extensively.

Probably, it’s also probably because they aren’t taking it seriously enough.

I did hear that the influencer who licked a toilet seat for the coronavirus challenge is in hospital after contracting it himself 😶

The USA has certainly picked up testing after having one of the lowest per capita rates.

However their mortality curve suggests they'll overtake every other country in terms of number of deaths unless the trend changes.
Original post by Greywolftwo
I did hear that the influencer who licked a toilet seat for the coronavirus challenge is in hospital after contracting it himself 😶

LMAO

Something pretty sad about all these kinds of things though, in many countries the so-called 'authorities' are useless.

In the US, the Mayors and State Governors have in many cases taken over the leadership vacuum created by Trump and the idiot Republicans in the Senate. It's also refreshing to see that each time Trump comes up with one of his nutcase statements, even traditionally right wing groups like the evangelical Christians now condemn them increasingly.

It's even worse in countries like Brazil and Mexico, where the politicians of the Right are proving to be utterly, hopelessly out of touch with reality and apparently hell bent on murdering as many of their fellow citizens as they can.
Original post by Kitten in boots
The USA has certainly picked up testing after having one of the lowest per capita rates.

However their mortality curve suggests they'll overtake every other country in terms of number of deaths unless the trend changes.

The healthcare position in the US is incredibly bad. They have around 30m people with no access to healthcare at all. They have far too few hospital beds per head and ICU beds per head (they share that lofty position with the UK), their wildly overpriced health system oriented to the cosmetic and lifestyle needs of the well off is poorly designed to deal with a mass disease outbreak and they lack leadership from the top, as Trump has severely cut funding for federal bodies in the sector such as the CDC. Large numbers of workers in the US have only very limited access to welfare payments now that they are out of work (3 million have signed on as unemployed in the last few days), many live in unsanitary conditions and many are not reached by government pronouncements. The government agencies that were supposed to deal with these kinds of crises have also been cut to the bone, as in the UK.

We should see Coronavirus as a trial for the populist Right that was elected in the US and the UK and when that trial is over, we should sentence their bankrupt policies to death and despatch them to the firing squads. They only exist to serve the very rich. Everything else is a damned lie.
A very sad bit of news I came across. A teenage girl committed suicide because of the fear of isolation and getting coronavirus. Sadly I don’t think this will be the last case.
Are young people being left to die from coronavirus?(reversing Italy's triage rules to treat old) Who is high priority? Are these examples proof of an attempt by the Government to pretend the NHS isn't overwhelmed by stopping people getting admitted to hospital?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/familys-heartbreak-carer-21-dies-21753839
“In a short space of time they called back to say they wouldn’t be sending an ambulance because she wasn’t high priority enough.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/london-woman-36-dies-of-suspected-covid-19-after-being-told-she-is-not-priority
“I called 999 because my wife was breathless, she was vomiting and she had pains in her stomach. As I was talking to them she was getting worse and they told me to put her on the floor and to make her body flat.” “She told me the hospital won’t take her, she is not a priority. She did not stay very long and she went outside to write her report and posted it through the door.” "they told me to put her on the floor and to make her body flat.” = not a priority.

We have already seen in other countries that many healthy young people do need hospitalisation and have good chances of survival as long as they do get ventilators - this is why Italy imposed the triage rules of treating younger people. I am extremely confused at this situation because it certainly seems as if most hospitals in the UK are not completely overwhelmed and if that if the case you should be admitting everyone with severe symptoms suspected of covid-19(transporting people across the country to hospitals with less Covid-19 patients if necessary as seen) which would apply to both cases. If the hospitals do start to get overwhelmed then you can get extra capacity by putting people on the floor(which we have seen in Spain) but you can't be assuming that people with severe symptoms won't need hospital treatment regardless of age or underlying health conditions.
(edited 4 years ago)
The healthcare position in the US is incredibly bad. They have around 30m people with no access to healthcare at all. They have far too few hospital beds per head and ICU beds per head (they share that lofty position with the UK), their wildly overpriced health system oriented to the cosmetic and lifestyle needs of the well off is poorly designed to deal with a mass disease outbreak and they lack leadership from the top, as Trump has severely cut funding for federal bodies in the sector such as the CDC. Large numbers of workers in the US have only very limited access to welfare payments now that they are out of work (3 million have signed on as unemployed in the last few days), many live in unsanitary conditions and many are not reached by government pronouncements. The government agencies that were supposed to deal with these kinds of crises have also been cut to the bone, as in the UK.

We should see Coronavirus as a trial for the populist Right that was elected in the US and the UK and when that trial is over, we should sentence their bankrupt policies to death and despatch them to the firing squads. They only exist to serve the very rich. Everything else is a damned lie.

🤣😂😄😅👏👏 so harsh yet so true

Yeah it looks pretty bad though cos the USA is currently logging a larger increase every day whereas China has been logging very low daily increases for weeks. The US growth in new cases looks basically exponential whereas the Chinese government do seem to have control of it if we can believe the data.

Seems possible the US number of cases will be double China's by the start of next week
Probably, it’s also probably because they aren’t taking it seriously enough.

Another idiot licked products in Walmart and has now been charged with making a terror threat lol.
Original post by MrMusician95
Another idiot licked products in Walmart and has now been charged with making a terror threat lol.

Yep
A very sad bit of news I came across. A teenage girl committed suicide because of the fear of isolation and getting coronavirus. Sadly I don’t think this will be the last case.

I said this to my partner the other day, because I'm incredibly anxious about it myself, and can't see an end to it. I said I bet suicide rates rocket during this time.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I said this to my partner the other day, because I'm incredibly anxious about it myself, and can't see an end to it. I said I bet suicide rates rocket during this time.

They probably will. Sorry for making you anxious. I can’t put a TW on it because I’m on the phone but do you know a mod that could do it ASAP?

Latest

Trending

Trending