The Student Room Group

All lives matter debate

Original post by In Time
Black Lives Matter obviously, but they matter as much as anyone else. It should be all lives matter.

Obviously you have a certain opinion on the matter. The main advocacy of “Black Lives Matter” is that All Lives do not matter until Black Lives do.

There is a history of injustices against black people in our societies and the murder of George Floyd has riled up black people and supporters all over the world - they are treated as if black lives don’t matter; a teenager was found dead wrapped up in a gymnasium mat with his organs removed, and his assailants convinced everyone that it was a suicide. This obvious lack of concern for black lives universally, (there are many more examples, all over the internet, such as another BLM movement mantra, “say their names”, has brought the movement to attention yet again.

Another criticism of all lives matter is within an analogy, if you had 4 houses, and one was on fire, an “all lives matter” advocate would make sure all 4 houses were doused with water, instead of the house that is burning down. I hope you look up the BLM movement and re-educate yourself accordingly :smile:

TL:biggrin:R
All lives matter is a statement that opposes black lives matter, because all lives matter does not support those who are most prevalently oppressed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zacn01
Obviously you have a certain opinion on the matter. The main advocacy of “Black Lives Matter” is that All Lives do not matter until Black Lives do.

There is a history of injustices against black people in our societies and the murder of George Floyd has riled up black people and supporters all over the world - they are treated as if black lives don’t matter; a teenager was found dead wrapped up in a gymnasium mat with his organs removed, and his assailants convinced everyone that it was a suicide. This obvious lack of concern for black lives universally, (there are many more examples, all over the internet, such as another BLM movement mantra, “say their names”, has brought the movement to attention yet again.

Another criticism of all lives matter is within an analogy, if you had 4 houses, and one was on fire, an “all lives matter” advocate would make sure all 4 houses were doused with water, instead of the house that is burning down. I hope you look up the BLM movement and re-educate yourself accordingly :smile:

TL:biggrin:R
All lives matter is a statement that opposes black lives matter, because all lives matter does not support those who are most prevalently oppressed.

All Lives = Everyone in the world, regardless of race. So I have an excellent point because all lives matter.

Would you agree that only black lives matter and nobody else?
Original post by In Time
All Lives = Everyone in the world, regardless of race. So I have an excellent point because all lives matter.

Would you agree that only black lives matter and nobody else?

the Black Lives Matter movement is saying that black lives matter TOO not that ONLY black lives matter.
Reply 3
Original post by kaybby
the Black Lives Matter movement is saying that black lives matter TOO not that ONLY black lives matter.

Which is why I believe all lives matter.
Hey guys, just a reminder that if you wish to respectfully debate, it's best to head on over to our Debate and Current Affairs forums. It would be great if we can keep this thread to discuss how the TSR community can positively contribute to this movement. Thanks!:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by In Time
Black Lives Matter obviously, but they matter as much as anyone else. It should be all lives matter. Anyone who disagrees believe that black people have the superior race, and everyone else, particularly white people are less important.

We're all human. We all matter. We all share the same amount of importance.

when people do "save the rainforest" campaigns, do you tell them that they should actually be worrying about all rainforests?
when someone's house is on fire, do you insist that all houses should get a fair go with the hose even if they're not on fire?
Reply 6
Original post by octo
when people do "save the rainforest" campaigns, do you tell them that they should actually be worrying about all rainforests?
when someone's house is on fire, do you insist that all houses should get a fair go with the hose even if they're not on fire?

I know exactly what you're trying to say, but you shan't change my mind. ALL LIVES MATTER, enough said.
Original post by In Time
I know exactly what you're trying to say, but you shan't change my mind. ALL LIVES MATTER, enough said.

This isn’t a thread for that. This is about Black lives matter. If you want to debate that, go to the debate forum.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TheStarboy
This isn’t a thread for that. This is about Black lives matter. If you want to debate that, go to the debate forum.

True, but this website is free for all to use. So, I can write anything anywhere without needing your permission.
Original post by In Time
True, but this website is free for all to use. So, I can write anything anywhere without needing your permission.

Actually, there are certain rules on certain forums so you could be penalised if you break the rules.
Original post by In Time

Not a fan of rules are you?

Original post by BlinkyBill
Hey guys, just a reminder that if you wish to respectfully debate, it's best to head on over to our Debate and Current Affairs forums. It would be great if we can keep this thread to discuss how the TSR community can positively contribute to this movement. Thanks!:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by In Time
Black Lives Matter obviously, but they matter as much as anyone else. It should be all lives matter. Anyone who disagrees believe that black people have the superior race, and everyone else, particularly white people are less important.

We're all human. We all matter. We all share the same amount of importance.

Nobody said all lives DONT matter, and anyways if u really believe that all lives, in fact, do matter, you would be just as angry that innocent people are losing their lives at the hands of the system and those who are meant to apparently "protect and serve."
Reply 12
Original post by ryukk
Nobody said all lives DONT matter, and anyways if u really believe that all lives, in fact, do matter, you would be just as angry that innocent people are losing their lives at the hands of the system and those who are meant to apparently "protect and serve."

Listen, I care about all lives and regardless of race it is a terrible ordeal when someone dies, especially at the hands of someone else. The police should do a better job and protect us all, they should never step in the shoes of God and decide who gets to live.
Original post by In Time
Listen, I care about all lives and regardless of race it is a terrible ordeal when someone dies, especially at the hands of someone else. The police should do a better job and protect us all, they should never step in the shoes of God and decide who gets to live.

Then stop saying All Lives Matter because it is designed to derail the conversation.
Reply 14
Original post by Daveological
Then stop saying All Lives Matter because it is designed to derail the conversation.

My last statement is true, but I still stick by all lives matter. I am not going to admit that only black lives matter, they matter just as much as everyone else.
Hello @In Time

As per my earlier post, I've now moved this conversation to the Debate and Current Affairs forum, as this is the place for respectful debates, not the TSR update thread about Black Lives Matter. You're welcome to continue your discussion within community guidelines here.

BB
Reply 16
Original post by BlinkyBill
Hello @In Time

As per my earlier post, I've now moved this conversation to the Debate and Current Affairs forum, as this is the place for respectful debates, not the TSR update thread about Black Lives Matter. You're welcome to continue your discussion within community guidelines here.

BB

I see a post about black lives matter, I will forever state that all lives matter and not only black lives. People could deem me a racist all they like, doesn't make it true. If I were a racist, why would I say all lives matter?
Original post by In Time
I see a post about black lives matter, I will forever state that all lives matter and not only black lives. People could deem me a racist all they like, doesn't make it true. If I were a racist, why would I say all lives matter?

you're completely missing the point of black lives matter then because, again, it is not saying only black lives matter but you do you.
Original post by In Time

Well, now you have a thread to rant about that all you want. We did warn you.
OF COURSE all lives matter. The problem is that ‘all lives matter’ is being used to counteract the argument/fact that black lives matter. The statement is only being said due to the intentionally substandard treatment of black people, which completely discredits the ‘all lives matter’ statement. If all lives really mattered, would black people be treated the way they are?

If black people were treated equally, this reminder would NOT have to be reiterated.
If you are non-black, yes your life matters, stop taking ‘black lives matter’ as a threat, because it is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending