The Student Room Group

Pilosofia

Anyone who are interested in philosohy here? Can you tell me more on that by enumerating your problems or hindrances when reading particular philosophy books?
Reply 1
My problem is that most of the stuff I'm interested in is written in Sanskrit, and I am lazy
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
My problem is that most of the stuff I'm interested in is written in Sanskrit, and I am lazy

Hi there.. Oww thanks for sharing it with me.. But how could you be lazy on something that you are interrsted to?
Reply 3
Original post by Efraem
Hi there.. Oww thanks for sharing it with me.. But how could you be lazy on something that you are interrsted to?

Because translating is hard, takes ages, and I'd rather play with my dogs
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800

I see, thing is you need to look for those translated already
My problem is that most philosophers use 1,000 words to discuss something that could be described in about 30 - I’d love to read more continental stuff but either the translations are garbage or it’s just so much easier to read the scholarship which explains what’s being said clearly :biggrin:

Seconding on the laziness, too. Hegel or the latest sci-fi novel... hmm... :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
My problem is that most philosophers use 1,000 words to discuss something that could be described in about 30 - I’d love to read more continental stuff but either the translations are garbage or it’s just so much easier to read the scholarship which explains what’s being said clearly :biggrin:

Seconding on the laziness, too. Hegel or the latest sci-fi novel... hmm... :tongue:

Hahaha.. Thanks for saharing but thats the beauty of philosophy they have their own way, even own literature hehehe..
Original post by gjd800

I bloody love your honesty about things. It just cuts through so well.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
I bloody love your honesty about things. It just cuts through so well.

I hate the bad in-jokes, the moral posturing, and the hoity-toity permanent productivity of the philosophy community. I have a life, and work isn't the focus of it :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Efraem
I see, thing is you need to look for those translated already

Most of the Skt literature remains untranslated, and 75% of the stuff that is translated was done so badly
Original post by gjd800
I hate the bad in-jokes, the moral posturing, and the hoity-toity permanent productivity of the philosophy community. I have a life, and work isn't the focus of it :lol:

:laugh: exactly. "What, you sat in your pants playing with a dog whilst eating cold leftover curry?* You're not a THINKER, dammit" Bog off.

*or is that just me?
Original post by gjd800

PRSOM, seconded so hard :biggrin:
Also deep empathy on the translation front!
Reply 12
:laugh: exactly. "What, you sat in your pants playing with a dog whilst eating cold leftover curry?* You're not a THINKER, dammit" Bog off.

*or is that just me?

Hahaha exactly this

I had a bloke mitherng me in the pub around xmas. 'You're a thinker and a teacher so you owe it to me to engage with me'

**** off, mate
Reply 13
Original post by becausethenight
PRSOM, seconded so hard :biggrin:
Also deep empathy on the translation front!

It drives me mad. I see them all on twitter making awful jokes about Kantian transcendence and shake my head.

A lad I know listed all his qualifications on the cover page of his thesis (which has not yet been written). That sums up academic philosophy for me. Vacuous bigheads looking to show how great they are

I'm interested in clarity so that I can make life nicer, so most of what academic phil cares about, I do not :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Hahaha exactly this

I had a bloke mitherng me in the pub around xmas. 'You're a thinker and a teacher so you owe it to me to engage with me'

**** off, mate

They think they own part of you somehow - you're obligated to be 'on duty' permanently. God knows where it comes from.
Original post by gjd800
It drives me mad. I see them all on twitter making awful jokes about Kantian transcendence and shake my head.

A lad I know listed all his qualifications on the cover page of his thesis (which has not yet been written). That sums up academic philosophy for me. Vacuous bigheads looking to show how great they are

I'm interested in clarity so that I can make life nicer, so most of what academic phil cares about, I do not :lol:

I find D&CA on TSR can be a bit like this: not in terms of getting a Philosophical knob out and slapping it on the table, but in a 'my knowledge of politics and powers of analysis are so much better than yours' getting a knob out way. I think some of the 5 regular and practically sole posters in that forum wonder why people aren't more engaged with it :laugh:
Reply 16
I find D&CA on TSR can be a bit like this: not in terms of getting a Philosophical knob out and slapping it on the table, but in a 'my knowledge of politics and powers of analysis are so much better than yours' getting a knob out way. I think some of the 5 regular and practically sole posters in that forum wonder why people aren't more engaged with it :laugh:

Yep. I stay away because you either have bigots arguing in bad faith, or pedants uninterested in progression and only interested in the 'fight'

Well, I'd had enough of those in my first year undergrad, I'm certainly not wasting time on e-warriors now :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Yep. I stay away because you either have bigots arguing in bad faith, or pedants uninterested in progression and only interested in the 'fight'

Well, I'd had enough of those in my first year undergrad, I'm certainly not wasting time on e-warriors now :lol:

PRSOM. 99% of the time the matter in hand is irrelevant: it's just about who's got the bigger words and can 'win'. All heat and no light.
Reply 18
Original post by gjd800

Of the works to translate, that sounds a real ***** :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending