The Student Room Group

The picture of dorian gray

Hi there

I was just looking to know peoples thoughts on Dorian gray, in some ways he is merely a victim, who is corrupted by Lord Henry, so would you say he's an evil character or is he a victim corrupted by forbidden knowledge ??

just interested in peoples opinions on this :smile:
Thank you
Madison
ohh this is my january bookclub rea
Reply 2
Currently reading - note to self to reply when finished
Original post by study23!
Currently reading - note to self to reply when finished

oh you picked this up? how did/are you finding it?? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by heartz4moushi
oh you picked this up? how did/are you finding it?? :smile:

I’m reading it slowly, about a chapter or two a day - I’m about halfway through now. I’m not sure how I feel about it 😂 the first two chapters were long and Lord Henry wouldn’t stop preaching about anything he could, but the plot has gotten better since. Dorians change was quite sudden though, he is quite naive. Im not even sure how old he’s supposed to be, is he like 18 or in his 20s 😆
Reply 5
yeah I read it for my A level, it has a lot of hidden meanings and Dorian is 20 at the start of the book :smile:
Original post by study23!
I’m reading it slowly, about a chapter or two a day - I’m about halfway through now. I’m not sure how I feel about it 😂 the first two chapters were long and Lord Henry wouldn’t stop preaching about anything he could, but the plot has gotten better since. Dorians change was quite sudden though, he is quite naive. Im not even sure how old he’s supposed to be, is he like 18 or in his 20s 😆

okkk, so we all felt this way at the start?? from ym experience, it can only get better from here because i was in a similar situation🤣🤣 keep me updated tho cuz anything can happen haha.
My copy got lost ☹️ so i reordered a new copy.
Original post by ebyrne2036
My copy got lost ☹️ so i reordered a new copy.

oo, how did you find this classic?
Still waiting in my copy

oh you mean you haven't read it yet? sorry i thought you were just re-ordering😂
Haha no I’ve been waiting almost a month! So hopefully it comes soon
Haha no I’ve been waiting almost a month! So hopefully it comes soon

almost a month??? ww, hope it does come soon then!
Haha me 2 as my bookclub is on Sunday 😄
Update my new copy which i ordered 4 days ago came
Update my new copy which i ordered 4 days ago came

whoaaa, soo exciting!!
Original post by Hogwarts14
Hi there
I was just looking to know peoples thoughts on Dorian gray, in some ways he is merely a victim, who is corrupted by Lord Henry, so would you say he's an evil character or is he a victim corrupted by forbidden knowledge ??
Thank you
Madison

i don't think hes evil, nor do i think hes a victim. i think he descended into moral decay and corruption, yes you could argue lord henry was an influence, but dorian did not heed basil's warnings and his descent was his alone. as a character, he is deeply tragic - maybe not evil, but i rather pity him because all of his sins really caught up to him and plagued his thoughts.
Original post by Hogwarts14
Hi there
Thank you
Madison

late but it is my favourite book so could not resist,
, dorian was an immoral character who disregarded Basil's warnings and became incredibly corrupted, i think this was partially due to youth and naivete, his natural curiosity made him more akin to this corruption, so you could argue that this was tragic. He becomes quite cruel however, as in the Sybil situation, and i think rather than Dorian himself being a tragic character, he is just an example of human weakness in the face of greed, lust and moral decay overall. This fact in itself, is in my opinion, tragic. He is not evil, he is not tragic, he is a human who has decayed. Also, what I really found interesting, was how everyone else responds to him. He is very handsome and charming and the response he beguts from the world, eg Lord Henry, reveals the tragically superficial nature that can be seen in people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending