The Student Room Group

How is everyone feeling about Boris announcement?

How are people feeling about the idea that everything could be back to normal by 21st June? I didn’t imagine it would be that quick and part of me feels like it could be rushed but I might be wrong?

Like I would rather be in a strict long lockdown than in and out of lockdowns for ages (like we pretty much have been) as I feel like it would benefit us better aswell as the economy cause in and out of these lockdowns are clearly doing knoe good for buisness as their open for a small amount of time then open again.

Tbh I’m not much of a partier or drinker so and I feel like that’s what all my friends/people my age are gonna do for ages where as I just want too go for meals, cinema etc? So I feel like it’s not that exciting for me?

Scroll to see replies

I think it doesn’t feel exciting because this has happened before getting lifted only to be shut again. Bare in mind that they won’t necessarily stick to the dates. Things will be lifted if the rates still stay slow. It won’t be any faster
Reply 2
Original post by raredisposition
I think it doesn’t feel exciting because this has happened before getting lifted only to be shut again. Bare in mind that they won’t necessarily stick to the dates. Things will be lifted if the rates still stay slow. It won’t be any faster

Yeah you could be right with that actually! I just put it down to the fact I’m not keen on drinking etc. Yeah I’ll be surprised if it does actually go that smooth if you know what I mean
Reply 3
He’s setting people up for a whole load of disappointment.
I'd rather be in lockdown longer so we can do it properly bit sick of this cycle tbh ://
A little bit too timid. This could be quicker.

We should use this as an opportunity to break the backs of the teaching unions for once and for all.
It seems so far away.
I'm at the point where I can't be pessimistic anymore for the sake of my sanity, even though I am very much aware stuff can change. Glad at least that I can head back to uni for my practical course. Humanity to interact with once more!
I'm hopeful.
At this rate I'll have a proper end to Year 11 so that's good.
Room for cautious optimism.

Basically not a lot really changes till April, even then it will be a very slow opening up.

If over the next 12 weeks we can get to 30 million people with at least 1 dose then theoretically roughly 2/3s of UK adults will have be inoculated.

This seems like a slow & steady opening up, I think it’s clear a lot has been put into balancing risk & liberty. No one really knows what the future has in stock but this seems to be the most sensible opening up plan we’ve had yet.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
How are people feeling about the idea that everything could be back to normal by 21st June? I didn’t imagine it would be that quick and part of me feels like it could be rushed but I might be wrong?

Like I would rather be in a strict long lockdown than in and out of lockdowns for ages (like we pretty much have been) as I feel like it would benefit us better aswell as the economy cause in and out of these lockdowns are clearly doing knoe good for buisness as their open for a small amount of time then open again.

Tbh I’m not much of a partier or drinker so and I feel like that’s what all my friends/people my age are gonna do for ages where as I just want too go for meals, cinema etc? So I feel like it’s not that exciting for me?

This is the reason I am pessimistic, as optimistics are often left disappointed. I do not believe everything will return to its former state by July, it is merely wishful thinking. There will be a fourth and possibly a fifth lockdown, so I doubt things will return to normal within a matter of months.
Reply 11
Boris said "Data not Dates" and then proceeds to give us a load of dates :dontknow:
Original post by Notnek
Boris said "Data not Dates" and then proceeds to give us a load of dates :dontknow:

Yes I noted the irony of that, I think what was saying is this is the earliest possibility if the data matches the predictive models, and hence at every stage the time scales to model the data reset and will be monitored.
Original post by MyGEMJourney
He’s setting people up for a whole load of disappointment.

See that’s exactly how I feel but I feel like he has to have said that date for a reason, tbh I get it’s nice to look forward to something but I feel like he should keep his plan to himself cause people are seeing the PLAN as the exact dates, do u know what I mean?
Original post by blackcurrantt
I'd rather be in lockdown longer so we can do it properly bit sick of this cycle tbh ://

I completely agree with you!! If they hadn’t rushed all this things would be back to normal (or close) by now I think!
Original post by Trinculo
A little bit too timid. This could be quicker.

We should use this as an opportunity to break the backs of the teaching unions for once and for all.

Sorry I think I’m being a bit daft I’m not getting what you mean haha, do u mean u think things could get back to normal quicker?
Original post by Moonlight rain
It seems so far away.

I agree! I can’t imagine normal life this year, it seems so unusual and unmanageable.
Reply 17
I just dont believe it will be back to normal by then tbh. I believe they'll change their mind or something.
Original post by SetethFlayn
I'm at the point where I can't be pessimistic anymore for the sake of my sanity, even though I am very much aware stuff can change. Glad at least that I can head back to uni for my practical course. Humanity to interact with once more!

Aw I’m looking forward to actually being able to college also! I hope u have fun!!:smile:
Original post by Vapordave
I'm hopeful.
At this rate I'll have a proper end to Year 11 so that's good.

Idk it just feels impossible for then but it’s nice to be positive about the situation. I agree, I hope u enjoy if it happens!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending