The Student Room Group

building a pc

hi hi I want to build a pc (never built one before) and I've done some research but I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips, recommendations, general advice or even just things to consider
:biggrin:
Reply 1
With current GPU prices buying a prebuilt is cheaper than building one yourself. It will be this way for a long time. Just buy one prebuilt.
what above user said. Otherwise pcpartpicker is a good place to buy parts, also this is a good tutorial for beginners imo

Make sure you are following safety hazards when building one, and have a flat surface (ideally not a carpet).

Original post by yazksj
hi hi I want to build a pc (never built one before) and I've done some research but I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips, recommendations, general advice or even just things to consider
:biggrin:

The viability of building a gaming PC right now hinges pretty much entirely on getting a GPU at close to RRP, which is likely to be a herculean feat for at least the next six months. Current gen cards are selling for anything from double to quadruple their retail prices on the used market because demand is so high, and even low-end cards going back multiple generations are selling for ludicrously inflated prices because people are struggling to get their hands on anything at all. So if you plan on picking up a 3000 series or 6000 series card without caving to scalpers be ready for a long slog. Sign up for stock alerts on as many GPUs at as many retailers as possible, have stock tracking sites and Discord servers running in an open window and set to auto refresh, and keep every bendy part of your body very firmly crossed at all times. And even then, you have to contend with the units having their prices jacked up by the manufacturers and retailers. But if you're very lucky, you may be smiled upon and get to click on a GPU priced within 20% of the OEM guidelines before a scalper or bot snatches it.

And only then, once you have a GPU through the checkout and with a delivery notification in your inbox, would I bother planning out the rest of the build. Any pre-planning is moot until you know what GPU you can get and at what price.

But if you do manage to grab one, feel free to post your build in this forum and we can give it a once-over :yy:
(edited 2 years ago)
The best advice I can give is wait... The market, in general, is a bit of a mess due to the effects of corona and the GPU market is just an outright mess with the double whammy of silicon chip shortages and crypto miners.

Now might be one of those rare moments where a pre-built would be cheaper... But even then you'll probably be paying over pre-corona RRP due to said silicon chip shortage.

On the bright side, waiting means more money piles up to throw at a PC...

Don't fall into the trap of waiting for the next big release for various components. Just one (usually the GPU) is fair game. But when you get into that loop of waiting for a variety of new components, you're going to be stuck waiting and waiting and waiting because there's always something new just around the corner.

Only other advice I can really give is don't cheap out on the PSU and give yourself some wattage headroom for potential upgrades, particularly if you're not buying some of the top-end stuff. The PSU is like a set of tyres on a car, it's what separates a good day from a bad one. A poor quality PSU being pushed hard has every bit of potential to kill your system in much the same way that a poor set of tyres can potentially kill you. There are some PSU tier lists floating about various forums which can help with specific models.
I'd say it depends on what games you are likely to play - and of course your budget. If you're not super ambitious for the moment and you were always looking at the budget end of the market - certainly not 4k gaming, then I think a playable machine is possible with one of the newer Ryzen APUs with space for a proper graphics card when the market sorts itself out. If you buy some decent RAM and don't skimp on the motherboard, get a reasonable sized SSD for the OS, then you'll be able to play most games reasonably at 900p and 1080p if you don't mind some compromises until such time as you can put a dedicated GPU in there. You're also looking at under £550 without peripherals - depending on how fancy you want things like the case. BTW - don't cut corners on PSUs. I spent 60% more on a BeQuiet than a no-brand and it was worth every single penny.

If you want everything to beautiful and HD, then like the other people here are saying, you're going to have to wait. I just don't think it's worth it right now to pay silly money for a GPU.
Prices for GPUs are weird right now, but otherwise I have a copy / paste post I always make, so...

First-Time Building

If you're completely new to building, you may be in for a stressful time. People say it's "just a jigsaw puzzle!", which it kinda is, but this comes from people who build PCs all the time. Everything's simple with practice and when you know the pitfalls.

For me, I started with a pre-built PC as a kid. In time I had cleaned / dusted it, replaced the CPU cooler, added RAM etc. so I gradually gained experience and learned what's going on in there. Going in cold might be fine, but there's nothing worse than spending all that time eagerly awaiting all the parts, building it, then pressing the power button and nothing happening. Then uninstalling everything and rebuilding it. Then you'd have to test all the parts, despite having no backups to test with. Then what? It can be a lot of sweat and tears. We see enough posts online like that, and not just from new builders.

So if you know someone who's good with computers, get their help in building. Other alternatives are getting a local computer shop or tech guy to put it together for you for a fee when you've bought the parts, or pay more and use an online store where you can pick the parts.

Otherwise, there's loads of guides online on putting together a computer, though keep in mind these are written by guys who do it all the time. They leave out little details that first-timers worry about (or don't even know about).

Parts

CPU / Processor

You should expect these to last you longest out of all the parts. Half of gamers are using CPUs from as far back as 2011!

A CPU has 'cores' and 'threads', the more the better. Right now 4-cores 8-threads has become the minimum, but AMD's Ryzen has changed the market and almost everyone's getting or got a 3600. So just look up on Amazon and any PC stores you know of and see what Ryzen CPUs they have. There are some with 'x' at the end, like a 3600 and a 3600x. The 'x' just means it's marginally faster, but you won't see the difference. It's marketing.

This may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ryzen_microprocessors

You can see what cores and threads each has, and what base / boost clocks it has. Get 6 cores, 12 threads, and a boost clock over 4.0 (if even that) and you're good for most of the decade. Might even make it to 2030! For reference, I got a 3600 for £160 pre-COVID.

If / when you need to upgrade CPU, it can be as simple as an update and dropping the new Ryzen CPU in, as the socket will be the same.

CPU Cooler

Processors need a cooler (fan), otherwise they'll get too hot and either 'throttle' (which means 'lower its performance level to stop the temperature getting to damaging levels') or shut down your PC immediately.

A new CPU will come with a 'stock cooler' but, while the Ryzen Prism is apparently good, some others are pretty poor. A 3600 comes with a Stealth which will get your temps too high plus be a bit noisy. So you might want to buy your own cooler (an 'aftermarket cooler').

Get one that's 140mm (the bigger the fan, the better and quieter it usually is) and make sure it fits your CPU socket (that's 'AM4' if it's Ryzen). You'll see options for air and water, and generally the more expensive the better, but a low-cost air cooler like a 'Hyper Evo 212' or a 'be quiet! Pure Rock' will keep your CPU cool enough and be near silent. Even if the fan dies on those two, you can easily just swap it for another fan.

This means the Pure Rock is slightly better as it comes with a be quiet! fan, which is a top fan brand. I got mine for £30.

Additionally you'll need thermal paste to put it on (it'll often come with paste, but you need more in future) and certain liquids like TIM cleaner to wipe off the old paste first.

Coolers can be a real pain to install, but you'll get it. Hyper Evo is notoriously fiddly, while fan clamps can be a mystery of physics the first time. But even if you do a Laurel and Hardy job of installation, it barely affects temps compared to a perfect install.

Motherboard

This is what everything connects to and ties with your CPU, which needs to fit your motherboard's CPU socket, so expect it to last longer than even your CPU.

With Ryzen it's easy: the MSI Mortar Max is nearly unanimously considered the best B450 board around. It's rare in USA though, so many go with the Tomahawk instead.

The difference between a 'Max' and a regular board is that a 'Max' has an updated bios, which is just one less thing to worry about. There are B550s and other board types too if you want to explore.

Size is another consideration. For example an ATX board will only fit in an ATX-compatible case, not an mATX case. Though an mATX will also fit in an ATX.

Also, here's a magical table that helps: https://i.redd.it/2iwdy5wrrly31.png

I got a Mortar Max for £96.

GPU / Video card / Graphics card

This is the main thing that affects game performance. As parts go, assuming everything you've got is reliable, this'll be the first thing you'll eventually upgrade, so don't fret over if you're still gonna use it in 10 years' time.

What you need to ask yourself is what resolution (1080p HD? 4K?), at what FPS (30? 45? 60? 144??), at what graphics setting (everything Ultra? Mostly Ultra? High? Medium?) you want. The mistake many make is saying they 'want a GPU that can play X and Y', but (DirectX or, er, Windows 95 compatibility aside) any GPU can play a game, but some better than others!

As a rough guide, look at the VRAM. Nowadays, games on 'Ultra' graphics can be up to 6GB and recently 8GB, so you want at least a 6GB unless you're adamant on playing on max / Ultra graphics with every next gen game.

However a 6GB card can be better than some 8GB ones etc. The best way to know for sure is to look up YouTube videos of benchmarks and gameplay for some beefy games today (Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs Legion, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus), and see which cards are hitting the FPS you want at what resolution, then go for that or a bit higher.

This is one part where buying pre-owned will save a lot of money. Of course, the risk is that (unless you're buying it from a store) you don't have warranty and it's already had some use. But the risk is low and the buyer has all the power, so many people go this route. Plus people buy faulty parts, so you can make a bit back even if it dies...

If you do buy pre-owned, only buy from a seller with maybe 99.8 - 100% feedback, who's posting real pictures of the actual card itself, that the circuitry etc. isn't discoloured or yellowed, and (looking at the feedback) the seller hasn't sold / isn't selling a load of GPUs. Some people use GPUs for 'mining', which means they've been going hard 24/7, decreasing their lifespan considerably.

This list will also help, which puts many available GPUs in basic order of power: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Personally I got a 980 TI from Ebay for £160. It's from 2015 and it's 6GB, yet performs equal to the 8GB 1070. If you need 60 FPS on every game on completely Ultra, you want to aim a bit higher than this tier of card.

Your motherboard might have onboard graphics, which is convenient if your GPU dies as backup for general internet use, but don't get them mixed up for gaming!

Monitor / TV

This ties with your GPU as it decides your resolution (1080p, 4K etc) AND your maximum FPS. If your monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz, it can only show 60 FPS, even if your game is doing more. So it's no good having a beast GPU delivering 144 FPS in RDR2 if your monitor's refresh rate is 59 or 60 - you'll only see 60 FPS. (Make sure not to confuse horizontal and vertical refresh rates too).

An old tip, but just in case: if you want 1080p HD, avoid 'HD ready' TV. 'HD ready' was bizarre code to swindle consumers into buying a TV that was 720p, not 1080p.

Size is also important, but bigger isn't always better. Sat on a sofa or in bed playing console, sure, but on PC you're going to be sat only a certain distance from the monitor. Put a 42-incher there and you'll have 2 heads moving: your in-game head, and then your real head looking round the monitor. There are guides / calculators that will tell you your ideal montior size for your viewing distance, but it'll probably be about 24".

A good other place to find monitors / TVs is one of those local Facebook groups where people sell stuff, Gumtree etc. I got a highly-reviewed £1000 42-inch Full HD plasma TV for £100 on Facebook!

RAM

DDR4 is the standard now, and you want 16GB. They usually come in pairs, so really you're buying 2 x 8GB. Speed is also a consideration, and 3200MHz is a popular sweet spot of performance v price.

It seems like everyone has 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4, which I got for £65. However some RAM can be troublesome with some motherboards or CPUs, including the Vengeance, and will only be stable on a slightly lower speed than advertised. Another little scam.

When you upgrade, you might mix different sticks of RAM, but that's another subject which can be a good or bad idea. With 16GB, it's not something you need to worry about for years yet.

Storage / Hard drive / HDD / SSD

The stock response here is "buy an SSD!" as the SSD is faster. However, it's also vastly more expensive for much less space. With the size of games these days, you really want 1TB at least. A 1TB HDD can be £40. But that price only gets you 240GB with an SSD. Good luck fitting RDR2, GTA V and Gears of War on that. SSD will halve boot and some loading screen times, but they're not that long to begin with!

If you want to spend more, a popular option is an SSD as a 'boot drive', plus an HDD for extra space. You can have more than one drive! If you ever need more space, you just put in another. There are a few types of SSD and a couple of sizes. All you need to know is the 2.5" one connects like an HDD by SATA cable, and the M2 is the small one that you screw to your motherboard.There's no real speed difference between the SSD types out there currently. I prefer 2.5" due to some overheating issues with some M2s. Feel free to look up tier lists for SSDs, but there are budget options. And if you get an HDD, only buy 7200 RPM ones.

When I was buying, Seagate had a bad reputation, so I got a 1TB Toshiba HDD for less than £40. Years later I added a top tier SATA 500 GB SSD (Crucial MX 500) for £50. If I wanted a budget option, like a Kingston A400, that would've been half the price.

It's also wise to keep important things like documents, pictures and save games backed up on both drives or USB sticks, as most drives either fail in the first few months or last many years.

PSU (Power Supply Unit)

This powers all the parts of your PC and also stops the whole thing dying at the slightest electrical surge. A good PSU lasts forever (many still use ones from 10 years ago) and sacrifices itself to save the other parts; a bad PSU takes the whole thing down with it after a few years, in (sometimes literal) flames.

Look up 'PSU tier list 2020' and aim for the top few categories. The higher the tier, the more it'll cost. You don't need overkill though; ~£80 area is fine.

Wattage is important, and will depend on your specific parts, particularly your GPU. 500W was good, but new power-hungry GPUs ask for more. Use PSU calculators to get an idea.

A 'modular' PSU is better as you can take out cables you're not using to make the PC tidier and a bit cooler.

I got a 750W Seasonic EVO 80 for £80 in 2014 and it's still going. The possibly 'less reliable' ones were had for about £50 and pre-owned will be cheaper too, but the extra price for a good PSU with warranty is worth it.

OS / Windows

Windows isn't the only OS, but presumably that's what you'll be using, and it'll be Windows 10. If you already have Windows 7, you can use that key to install Windows 10 free. You shouldn't be spending £100 on one, there are cheaper ways.

Keep in mind there are lots of different versions (Home, Pro, Business etc.), so get the right one for gaming, and you also want a 64-bit one due to 32-bit RAM limits.

If you're lucky, you'll know someone who has a spare valid Windows key to give you. Techies have loads.

Case

I'm no expert on this and it's a personal choice for. It can be tricky because it can look great on paper, but when you've got everything in, you might find there's no space to fit an extra fan or two, inconveniences like that. But you want one that's big enough to fit ATX boards (and thus smaller mobos too), has places for 140mm fans, and bays for your drives. Noise (and thus case material) and how good it is for cooling are also considerations.

If you're getting a large GPU, you wanna know it'll fit in the case too.

TBH I just went on the stores, sorted from lowest price, and got the best-reviewed cheapest one for £30 and have had no major issues.

Fans

Bigger = better and quieter. You usually want at least one intake at the front and / or side, and one out the back getting rid of the CPU cooler's exhaust. 'be quiet!' and 'Noctua' are popular brands, while my Enermax ones are quiet too.

Disc Drive

Everything's digital these days so you might not even want or need this. Even many old games are sold digitally now. If you do want one, consider whether you want to use DVD or Blu Ray, and if you want to burn and make your own discs (in which case note that an -R e.g. DVD-R just reads discs, but an -RW e.g. DVD-RW lets you burn onto discs).

Writing and reading speeds might be a consideration, but I've not exactly researched buying disc drives.

Keyboard and mouse

You'll get people recommending 'gaming mice' and 'gaming keyboards', so depends how 'hardcore' you label yourself as a 'gamer'. I just get whatever.

The mouse is down to preference and hand size. Too small and you get claw hand, but too chunky and it's hard to manoeuvre. I like anything big and smooth like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HP23KL/

Speakers

Such a pain because you need to listen to them to know if they're any good. A £10 pair can be great, a £50 can be tinny. For example, I still use the Labtec LCS 1060 I bought from Argos 15 - 20 years ago as they sound better. bassier and more detailed than any other speaker I've heard since.

Of course, you can not bother with speakers and just use your monitor's if you're not fussed.

Controller / Gamepad

If you have an Xbox 360 / One / Series, you can just use that controller. PlayStation controllers work too with a program or workaround, while there are adapters for other controllers from consoles past.

Chair

Others will have better advice as I don't know about which chairs are really good. Though it might seem a crime spending £100 or £200 on a chair, the cheap crap ones are small, are wood and hurt your butt etc. I bought one for £100 and after a few weeks I had to put a thick blanket on the seat.

After Building

- Go into your BIOS and turn on the XMP profile, as you may notice your RAM isn't at the right speed. This should set it right. If you get BSOD issues, try the other profile or a slower speed until you're stable. Also change your fans to PWM (so they change speed according to temps, rather than go at a constant speed)

- Update drivers using the disc with your motherboard and the manufacturers' websites (like NVIDIA for NVIDIA GPUs) and update BIOS if needed.

- For NVIDIA GPUs (don't know about AMD), go into NVIDIA Control Panel, click Change Resolution, and make sure you're at the right Hz (so it's 60 and not 50, for example) and change 'Output dynamic range' to 'Full' not 'Limited'.

- To get your TV / monitor right, go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ just to get your brightness, contrast and backlight right. A good test I've found is to find a private Instagram profile - the box saying it's private should be in a different tone of white and have clear borders. Never noticed this until I fixed my settings!

- To make your monitor 'pop' like they do in stores, turn up your monitor's 'colour' or 'saturation' setting. Too low and things look washed out, too high and people look sunburnt. If you can't change it, go to NVIDIA Control Panel, 'Adjust desktop colour settings' and play with Digital Vibrance.

- Some people suggest 'stress testing'. This means using a program that pushes your CPU or GPU to the absolute limit for a long period of time to check its stability. By its nature, this will somewhat reduce its 'life' and personally I've not seen the point of it. If you're getting BSOD and errors, sure, but otherwise you'll know soon enough while playing games or video editing if things go wrong. Though if you've got a pre-owned GPU, run the 'Heaven' benchmark to make sure it's not dodgy and you don't get artifacts, and use GPU-Z to check it shows the same GPU as what you've been led to believe you've bought.

- CPU-Z will give you info on the rest of your parts so you can check all is in order.

- HWMonitor, Core Temp, GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner are all options for checking various temps and usage to make sure all is well, especially when doing some 'hardcore gaming'.

- 'Overclocking' is where you basically make something run 'faster' than it does normally at default stock settings. Not long ago, you'd get a CPU and expect to overclock it, but AMD want to eliminate this and have their CPUs 'working out the box'. So if you've got Ryzen, you'll find you won't be able to overclock it much or at all, with gains not noticable. You can overclock your GPU, but again it's minimal. RAM these days are what people like to overclock most of all, but it depends on what RAM you have, the motherboard, and it's still a lottery. Even so, unless you manage huge gains, the FPS difference is minimal and features (Precision Overdrive etc.) are effectless gimmicks.

- You only need to download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan your computer every so often for malware; the antivirus and firewall that comes with Windows 10 is fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
I have a copy / paste post I always make, so...

Generally agree with the bulk of your post, but a few thoughts...

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
- Oh yeah it's good to hear there are a few competitive Intels now, though what cost are the motherboards? I remember checking ages ago and seeing that a decent motherboard was more expensive and made up the difference and then some.

- My Wraith Stealth with a 3600 went too high when I tested it under load, and when I compared it to others, and when Googling to compare with others, they were getting similar temps (high 80s). Since a ciiker comes free it's worth trying it and testing it under load, but the buzz of a Stealth especially is like a lawnmower so usually best option is to sell it while paying an extra £10 on top for a silent one that keeps temps outside the danger range.

- I mentioned paste because I can see one (of many) disheartening first time build scenarios - being midway through (after waiting impatiently for all your parts to come) then you realise you've smudged up the pre-applied paste and it's on your arm or your bed, or mess up installing it and have the cooler off and on again. It only costs a few quid to be prepared and it saves getting it later anyway.

- GPUs are something new builders won't know where to start, and they end up looking at a PC with some old XP-era GPU because they don't have a handle on it before going deeper with comparisons. Like now it'd help them to start off with if you say 'you want at least 6GB of VRAM for Ultra at 1080p', and then they can look up 6GB+ cards and compare them, it narrows it down a lot.

- Some people swat aside that bronze etc. ratings matter with PSUs. People will have issues with one then say "it's an 80+ rated PSU" but it turns it out it wasn't all that good after all. Ultimately a tier list does the same job but better.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you're completely new to building, you may be in for a stressful time. People say it's "just a jigsaw puzzle!", which it kinda is, but this comes from people who build PCs all the time. Everything's simple with practice and when you know the pitfalls.

I disagree to an extent. While I wouldn't say it's akin to a jigsaw, it is still very simple. I usually phrase it something like fitting shapes together and a few screws because that's essentially what it is. There are some little things to keep in mind, but it's pretty hard to put things in the wrong place.

It doesn't really become stressful unless something doesn't work... Even then the fixes are usually so painfully simple you feel silly for getting stressed over it.

Right now 4-cores 8-threads has become the minimum

This idea that there is some sort of universal minimum is something that has irked me for a long time. It's simply down to what you want out of the PC that dictates what your minimum is

If / when you need to upgrade CPU, it can be as simple as an update and dropping the new Ryzen CPU in, as the socket will be the same.

I think this is a bit of an iffy claim to make. Granted, AMD has been better than intel when it comes to reusing sockets, but at the same time there's no guarentee they'll continue to use the socket. As far as I'm aware, AMD has passed any commitments they've made in regards to lifespan of the AM4 socket.

Generally speaking, any CPU upgrade worth having will almost always involve buying a new motherboard as well.

Get one that's 140mm (the bigger the fan, the better and quieter it usually is) and make sure it fits your CPU socket (that's 'AM4' if it's Ryzen). You'll see options for air and water, and generally the more expensive the better, but a low-cost air cooler like a 'Hyper Evo 212' or a 'be quiet! Pure Rock' will keep your CPU cool enough and be near silent. Even if the fan dies on those two, you can easily just swap it for another fan.

Too much generalising for my liking. There's so much more to coolers than just the fans, like, if the fin arrary or heat pipes are a pos design, the amount of air you're pushing is moot. Then there's the whole thing about fan specs which can change things up.

Bigger doesn't neccecarily mean better, it generally means there's more potential, but ultimately, it's the actual performance that matters.

Also dislike the "more expensive the better". Of course, that does ring true to an extent. But you see some AIO units going for a fair bit more than some top quality air coolers while really performing no better, if not worse.

Additionally you'll need thermal paste to put it on (it'll often come with paste, but you need more in future) and certain liquids like TIM cleaner to wipe off the old paste first.

Probably worth noting that the OP should look into thermal paste to find out whether it's conductive or not, just in case they make a bit of a mess with it and get it on the board or, god forbid, in the CPU socket.

An old tip, but just in case: if you want 1080p HD, avoid 'HD ready' TV. 'HD ready' was bizarre code to swindle consumers into buying a TV that was 720p, not 1080p.

It wasn't so much a swindle and more uneducated consumers. Strictly speaking, anything over 576 verticle lines is high definition (480 in North America). So 720p is HD, while 1080p was often called Full HD. Yet I'd wager a lot of people would say 720p isn't HD.

Size is also important, but bigger isn't always better. Sat on a sofa or in bed playing console, sure, but on PC you're going to be sat only a certain distance from the monitor. Put a 42-incher there and you'll have 2 heads moving: your in-game head, and then your real head looking round the monitor. There are guides / calculators that will tell you your ideal montior size for your viewing distance, but it'll probably be about 24".

Yep, 24"-27" is usually the sweet spot for standard aspect ratio monitors

Speed is also a consideration, and 3200MHz is a popular sweet spot of performance v price.

There's more to RAM speed than just raw speed, you also have to factor in latency.

I've got two kits up as a comparison right now, one is a Crucial Ballistix kit, the other is a PNY XLR8 kit. The Crucial is running at 3000 MHz while the PNY runs at 3200 MHz. Sso the PNY is better? At face value it seems that way. However, when you factor in CAS latency (15 for the Crucial, 16 for the PNY) and crunch the numbers, you'll find that the two kits will perform exactly the same in virtually all cases as their real-world latency is identical

If you want to spend more, a popular option is an SSD as a 'boot drive', plus an HDD for extra space. You can have more than one drive! If you ever need more space, you just put in another. There are a few types of SSD and a couple of sizes. All you need to know is the 2.5" one connects like an HDD by SATA cable, and the M2 is the small one that you screw to your motherboard.There's no real speed difference between the SSD types out there currently. I prefer 2.5" due to some overheating issues with some M2s. Feel free to look up tier lists for SSDs, but there are budget options. And if you get an HDD, only buy 7200 RPM ones.

I think you've fallen behind here. It's worth mentioning that M.2 drives come as either a SATA or a PCIe SSD and the OP would need to check compatability with that as well as the fitting.

There are certainly speed differences between the SSD types out there these days. SATA drives cap out at about 550 MB/s in the real world, while a number of M.2, PCIe based SSDs are pushing twice that speed.

As for the HDD, depends on the use. I wouldn't necessitate the need for a 7200 RPM drive if it were just for media storage for example. Though, given the way the market is, it'll probably be a 7200 RPM drive anyway seeing as they're generally the best value drives anyway.

When I was buying, Seagate had a bad reputation, so I got a 1TB Toshiba HDD for less than £40. Years later I added a top tier SATA 500 GB SSD (Crucial MX 500) for £50. If I wanted a budget option, like a Kingston A400, that would've been half the price.

Budget options can be very questionable, even from reputable names. Always best to get a solid SSD imo, Crucial is usually the go-to for a solid, good value SSD.

It's also wise to keep important things like documents, pictures and save games backed up on both drives or USB sticks, as most drives either fail in the first few months or last many years.

Look up 'PSU tier list 2020' and aim for the top few categories. The higher the tier, the more it'll cost. You don't need overkill though; ~£80 area is fine.

I'd change "aim" to nothing but the top few. PSUs are like car tyres. They are what can separate you from a really bad day, so don't cheap out of them.

Bigger = better and quieter. You usually want at least one intake at the front and / or side, and one out the back getting rid of the CPU cooler's exhaust. 'be quiet!' and 'Noctua' are popular brands, while my Enermax ones are quiet too.

Bigger =/= always better

You'll find a number of high performance 120mm fans outpacing a lot of bigger fans

- Go into your BIOS and turn on the XMP profile, as you may notice your RAM isn't at the right speed. This should set it right. If you get BSOD issues, try the other profile or a slower speed until you're stable. Also change your fans to PWM (so they change speed according to temps, rather than go at a constant speed)

While the OP is there, they should check everything else is showing up as well

Update drivers using the disc with your motherboard and the manufacturers' websites (like NVIDIA for NVIDIA GPUs) and update BIOS if needed.

Don't bother with the disc unless you absolutely have to (wireless adapter drivers for example), just go straight to the website. It's best not to update your BIOS unless there's some sort of issue due to the risk of corrupting your BIOS in the event of an unexpected shutdown.

'Overclocking' is where you basically make something run 'faster' than it does normally at default stock settings. Not long ago, you'd get a CPU and expect to overclock it, but AMD want to eliminate this and have their CPUs 'working out the box'. So if you've got Ryzen, you'll find you won't be able to overclock it much or at all, with gains not noticable. You can overclock your GPU, but again it's minimal. RAM these days are what people like to overclock most of all, but it depends on what RAM you have, the motherboard, and it's still a lottery. Even so, unless you manage huge gains, the FPS difference is minimal and features (Precision Overdrive etc.) are effectless gimmicks.

Yeah, there are gains to be had from a CPU overclock. But GPU overclocking is rather moot these days since they boost the clocks right out of the box. The gains are going to be very minimal on modern cards because they're already pushing themselves past the standard clock speeds.

- You only need to download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan your computer every so often for malware; the antivirus and firewall that comes with Windows 10 is fine.

ADW cleaner is a good one to keep on hand as well
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
I disagree to an extent. While I wouldn't say it's akin to a jigsaw, it is still very simple. I usually phrase it something like fitting shapes together and a few screws because that's essentially what it is. There are some little things to keep in mind, but it's pretty hard to put things in the wrong place.

It doesn't really become stressful unless something doesn't work... Even then the fixes are usually so painfully simple you feel silly for getting stressed over it.

This idea that there is some sort of universal minimum is something that has irked me for a long time. It's simply down to what you want out of the PC that dictates what your minimum is

I think this is a bit of an iffy claim to make. Granted, AMD has been better than intel when it comes to reusing sockets, but at the same time there's no guarentee they'll continue to use the socket. As far as I'm aware, AMD has passed any commitments they've made in regards to lifespan of the AM4 socket.

Generally speaking, any CPU upgrade worth having will almost always involve buying a new motherboard as well.

Too much generalising for my liking. There's so much more to coolers than just the fans, like, if the fin arrary or heat pipes are a pos design, the amount of air you're pushing is moot. Then there's the whole thing about fan specs which can change things up.

Bigger doesn't neccecarily mean better, it generally means there's more potential, but ultimately, it's the actual performance that matters.

Also dislike the "more expensive the better". Of course, that does ring true to an extent. But you see some AIO units going for a fair bit more than some top quality air coolers while really performing no better, if not worse.

Probably worth noting that the OP should look into thermal paste to find out whether it's conductive or not, just in case they make a bit of a mess with it and get it on the board or, god forbid, in the CPU socket.

It wasn't so much a swindle and more uneducated consumers. Strictly speaking, anything over 576 verticle lines is high definition (480 in North America). So 720p is HD, while 1080p was often called Full HD. Yet I'd wager a lot of people would say 720p isn't HD.

Yep, 24"-27" is usually the sweet spot for standard aspect ratio monitors

There's more to RAM speed than just raw speed, you also have to factor in latency.

I've got two kits up as a comparison right now, one is a Crucial Ballistix kit, the other is a PNY XLR8 kit. The Crucial is running at 3000 MHz while the PNY runs at 3200 MHz. Sso the PNY is better? At face value it seems that way. However, when you factor in CAS latency (15 for the Crucial, 16 for the PNY) and crunch the numbers, you'll find that the two kits will perform exactly the same in virtually all cases as their real-world latency is identical

I think you've fallen behind here. It's worth mentioning that M.2 drives come as either a SATA or a PCIe SSD and the OP would need to check compatability with that as well as the fitting.

There are certainly speed differences between the SSD types out there these days. SATA drives cap out at about 550 MB/s in the real world, while a number of M.2, PCIe based SSDs are pushing twice that speed.

As for the HDD, depends on the use. I wouldn't necessitate the need for a 7200 RPM drive if it were just for media storage for example. Though, given the way the market is, it'll probably be a 7200 RPM drive anyway seeing as they're generally the best value drives anyway.

Budget options can be very questionable, even from reputable names. Always best to get a solid SSD imo, Crucial is usually the go-to for a solid, good value SSD.

I'd change "aim" to nothing but the top few. PSUs are like car tyres. They are what can separate you from a really bad day, so don't cheap out of them.

Bigger =/= always better

You'll find a number of high performance 120mm fans outpacing a lot of bigger fans

While the OP is there, they should check everything else is showing up as well

Don't bother with the disc unless you absolutely have to (wireless adapter drivers for example), just go straight to the website. It's best not to update your BIOS unless there's some sort of issue due to the risk of corrupting your BIOS in the event of an unexpected shutdown.

Yeah, there are gains to be had from a CPU overclock. But GPU overclocking is rather moot these days since they boost the clocks right out of the box. The gains are going to be very minimal on modern cards because they're already pushing themselves past the standard clock speeds.

ADW cleaner is a good one to keep on hand as well

- My first ever build, it all went in fine, but then I press the power button and it starts up, but nothing happens. Long story short, a techy came round and was stumped, then it took an OXFORD UNI TECHNICIAN to look at it with literally a magnifying glass to solve the issue.

When it works, it's simple. When it doesn't (not just by not starting, but by starting then getting BSODs or weird bugs), unless it's the RAM (it usually is), it can be a huge drama that a poor novice has no chance with.

- I used 4c8t as a minimum because using 4c4t on AC Origins lead to this...

https://i.imgur.com/9P646F8.mp4

Sure you could still play it, and others might not have this bug, but I'm probably talking to someone who wants to play newish games without issue, and (combined with the jumpiness of games generally) 4c8t fixed that.

- It's good to know (mobo allowing) that you can go from 6-core to 8-core without completely taking apart your PC and rebuilding it. I still expect 6-core to last as long as 4-core has, but if you want that boost it's a nice option. Who knows how long people with 3600s will last with their motherboard if they can move to 8-core. Well over a decade!

- Space allowing, I would rather get a good 140mm than a good 120mm. But all that matters is it does the job you want it.

- True members of the PC Master Race have thermal paste all over the motherboard.

- RAM latency has an effect, but I'm not sure it's that big once you've already picked the speed you want. I wouldn't compare 3000MHz ans 3200MHz as the difference is so marginal. If you say you're looking to buy one of those RAMs, I'd say just go with the cheaper one.

- As far as SSDs go, from what I've seen the difference is so minimal. It's a choice between fast and fast, so as a starting point I'd say it's not a big deal.
(edited 2 years ago)
- Oh yeah it's good to hear there are a few competitive Intels now, though what cost are the motherboards? I remember checking ages ago and seeing that a decent motherboard was more expensive and made up the difference and then some.

Generally very competitive, with the consumer tier mATX B550M boards for AMD and B560M boards for Intel both coming in around £75 as a starting point. So you can pick up either a 3600 or 11400F with similarly spec'd B series boards for about the same price. Going cheaper, AMD have basic A320M boards for as low as £40, but for less than the price of a 3600 and A320M board you can get a 10400F with H410M one.

My Wraith Stealth with a 3600 went too high when I tested it under load, and when I compared it to others, and when Googling to compare with others, they were getting similar temps (high 80s).

High eighties doesn't sound pleasant, but it is within the viable operating temperatures of a 3600. If it's causing unwanted throttling for your use case then that's definitely a reason to upgrade the cooler, but those temps aren't really "too high" in terms of operating safely.

- I mentioned paste because I can see one (of many) disheartening first time build scenarios - being midway through (after waiting impatiently for all your parts to come) then you realise you've smudged up the pre-applied paste and it's on your arm or your bed, or mess up installing it and have the cooler off and on again. It only costs a few quid to be prepared and it saves getting it later anyway.

Bodging up the initial application is something I hadn't actually considered, even after managing to do the same thing myself on my third or fourth build :ahee: I concede that point is potentially valid :yy:

- GPUs are something new builders won't know where to start, and they end up looking at a PC with some old XP-era GPU because they don't have a handle on it before going deeper with comparisons. Like now it'd help them to start off with if you say 'you want at least 6GB of VRAM for Ultra at 1080p', and then they can look up 6GB+ cards and compare them, it narrows it down a lot.

It does narrow things down somewhat, but I still think GPU specs are a little too nebulous to use VRAM in a vacuum as a starting point.

Some people swat aside that bronze etc. ratings matter with PSUs. People will have issues with one then say "it's an 80+ rated PSU" but it turns it out it wasn't all that good after all. Ultimately a tier list does the same job but better.

A tier list is dependent on constant updates and testing though- as great as THW is a resource, they can't be omnipresent in their PSU testing. Checking reviews of a PSU is always an important step in finalising build components, but just as you're suggesting VRAM as a starting point for determining GPU choice, I would say wattage and 80+ rating are a solid starting point for narrowing down PSU choice.

Unfortunately, as I went into detail about above, getting a GPU at "slightly inflated" prices is a monumental task, as I'm sure you're aware from your 3090 search. For anyone can't/won't commit the time and energy to hounding every legit avenue, which even then they are highly likely to fail for weeks on end, prebuilts are going to remain the most cost effective option for the foreseeable future.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest