The Student Room Group

Met police Day 2 Assessment advice

Not really an "assessment" as such - i passed day 1 with a different force - applid to the Met for day 2. Which is a fitness/bleep test, medical test, and also two "role play" activities.

Anyone have any advice re these activities and also on the medical itself? Particuarly if anyone has applied for the police before/gone through the medical with a medical issue, eg, depression etc
Original post by Ferrograd
Not really an "assessment" as such - i passed day 1 with a different force - applid to the Met for day 2. Which is a fitness/bleep test, medical test, and also two "role play" activities.

Anyone have any advice re these activities and also on the medical itself? Particuarly if anyone has applied for the police before/gone through the medical with a medical issue, eg, depression etc

The medical is a questionnaire that you fill in and on the day they will check your bmi, hearing, sight and Blood pressure.

Fitness Test - 5.4 on bleep test. It’s easy to do but make sure you practice at least 2-3 weeks in advance of actually reaching 5.4 on a 15m shuttle. 2 people from when I did it failed but it was lack of perpetration.

The role plays - These are fairly simple one is conflict resolution and the other will probably be early intervention. You need to show you can follow the values of met police when dealing with the situation.
Original post by Student0876
The medical is a questionnaire that you fill in and on the day they will check your bmi, hearing, sight and Blood pressure.

Fitness Test - 5.4 on bleep test. It’s easy to do but make sure you practice at least 2-3 weeks in advance of actually reaching 5.4 on a 15m shuttle. 2 people from when I did it failed but it was lack of perpetration.

The role plays - These are fairly simple one is conflict resolution and the other will probably be early intervention. You need to show you can follow the values of met police when dealing with the situation.

Hmm I already filled in a couple of forms and have been told to bring them with me.

I've already got copies of medical records going up to mid 2021.

Passed the bleep test before, haven't ran the test in a while but did about a mile in ten minutes the other day.

Honestly I'm most worried about my medical. I only applied a few weeks ago so it is extremely quick to get this far so quickly compared to my last force, helped by already having passed their selection process. I just feel they'll take one look at my medical history and feel I'm too complicated.
Hmm I already filled in a couple of forms and have been told to bring them with me.

I've already got copies of medical records going up to mid 2021.

Passed the bleep test before, haven't ran the test in a while but did about a mile in ten minutes the other day.

Honestly I'm most worried about my medical. I only applied a few weeks ago so it is extremely quick to get this far so quickly compared to my last force, helped by already having passed their selection process. I just feel they'll take one look at my medical history and feel I'm too complicated.

I’ll be honest it seems highly unlikely they will look at your medical history and declare you unfit due to stress.
Original post by Student0876
I’ll be honest it seems highly unlikely they will look at your medical history and declare you unfit due to stress.

My last force looked at it, well what I declared to them anyway. They suggested because I had trauma from being bullied I wouldn't be able to cope if "someone called me a name". Very insulting, I hope the met are more professional and understanding.
My last force looked at it, well what I declared to them anyway. They suggested because I had trauma from being bullied I wouldn't be able to cope if "someone called me a name". Very insulting, I hope the met are more professional and understanding.

Is this a PC or a DC role you're applying for?
Original post by Trinculo
Is this a PC or a DC role you're applying for?

PC role, IPLDP
PC role, IPLDP

It's going to be a wider issue rather than one of Met policy. When you join, the process is entirely competency based. No one is going to interview you and attempt to explore why you want to become a police officer, or what potential issues you might have outside of what may or may not be on your medical records.

At this stage, the questions should be for you to mull over yourself. Do you think you will enjoy the work? Do you have a realistic impression of what the work involves? Do you think that your medical / psychological history may impact on your career?
It's going to be a wider issue rather than one of Met policy. When you join, the process is entirely competency based. No one is going to interview you and attempt to explore why you want to become a police officer, or what potential issues you might have outside of what may or may not be on your medical records.

At this stage, the questions should be for you to mull over yourself. Do you think you will enjoy the work? Do you have a realistic impression of what the work involves? Do you think that your medical / psychological history may impact on your career?

Yes, but I've already passed all the competency based questions from the last time I applied, so all I have to do in this one is do a couple of exercises which are related to the competencies ( i have watched a video from BlueLight consultancy specifically relating to these role play scenarios), and convince the medical people that i'm fit for the job.
Yes, but I've already passed all the competency based questions from the last time I applied, so all I have to do in this one is do a couple of exercises which are related to the competencies ( i have watched a video from BlueLight consultancy specifically relating to these role play scenarios), and convince the medical people that i'm fit for the job.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm asking you if you think you will enjoy the work and if you have a realistic picture of what it is that constables in the Met do and if you think you will enjoy doing it.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm asking you if you think you will enjoy the work and if you have a realistic picture of what it is that constables in the Met do and if you think you will enjoy doing it.

From my understanding, yes it is something I would enjoy and be well suited to because of my personality type and traits which favour being active and doing things. I know thats not the case all the time, as i know people in the service, but its still more appealing to me than an office job
Original post by username4528716

Hi it says on the website there is an interview, role play, medical and fitness. Does the interview not happen? I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere else, got my day 2 coming up with the met for IDLDP
Reply 12
Original post by petesteele
Hi it says on the website there is an interview, role play, medical and fitness. Does the interview not happen? I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere else, got my day 2 coming up with the met for IDLDP

hi,

Ive got my day 2 assessment coming up too, how was yours, was there any role plays?
Reply 13
Original post by petesteele

I've got my Day 2 in a couple week.

How did you get on? Pass?
Did they conduct an interview? How was the bleep test? Anyone fail it?
Original post by Philmc29
I've got my Day 2 in a couple week. How did you get on? Pass?Did they conduct an interview? How was the bleep test? Anyone fail it?
I have mine in few days😅 was there an interview or not ? How did it go? Do u have any tips to give ? Thanks
Original post by Hakunamatatahelp
I have mine in few days😅 was there an interview or not ? How did it go? Do u have any tips to give ? Thanks

Yeah I passed. The vetting took 4/5 weeks. I have been given a start date of the 24th June.

The day 2:

It began with the medical, although you can do that afterwards. It's in a different building. It take around 45 mins and is pretty basic. Eye test, hearing test, basic functional movements like bending over, balancing etc.

I then walked over to the assessment center. Waited in a waiting room with 4 other candidates for about 45 mins. Had to fill out and sign a form.

We were then taken into a room and shown a short video and had a briefing chat with a PC. Put my nerves to rest slightly.

The assessment began with the interview (which I wasn't expecting). It's quite formal but also relaxed. I was brought into a room with 2 PCs, one of which was a sergeant. It lasted around 45 mins. Bring some water and sip it between questions. That'll help you relax, reset and prepare for the next question.

They asked 'Past focused' questions and 'future focused' questions. Past focused questions are things like "when have you shown integrity" or "have you ever had to deal with discrimination", when you begin to answer each question, they will stop you and ask probing questions to try and help you expand. Questions like "how did that make you feel" and "would you have done anything differently. Future focused questions were "if you were called to a domestic dispute, what would be your initial approach".
The key is to maintain eye contact, and keep blabbing on, even if you feel like you're waffling on. They can definitely identify when you begin to struggle and go off course, so they'll then ask a probing question.

It's better to talk too much than not enough. One of the candidates had failed previously and was bag of nerves, he was removed after the interview so I assume he failed again. Just focus, show confidence and maintain eye contact. They know you're nervous, everyone is.

Once I finished the interview, I had to go to a few different rooms to process some of the admin bits such as fingerprints, education documents and hair samples. This is straight forward and obviously not an assessment. Use this time to reset your head and focus on the scenario assessment, which I did after I finished all the admin bits.

The scenario (acting) assessment:

I was brought into a room and given 5 mins to read a short paragraph explaining the situation you are about to encounter. It was displayed as an email to you from your sergeant. For me (and I think for everyone) it was a dispute between neighbours. One neighbour was complaining about noise levels from his next door and kids jumping into his garden to retrieve their ball. You can write notes AND bring them with you to the situation. Write down key bits of information and refer to them while you're dealing with the situation. THEN...

When the 5 mins was up, I was brought into another room where there were 2 people (actors) having an arguement about the situation you have just read about. There's another guy in the corner of the room, but he's not part of the scene. He's there writing notes about your performance. Ignore him, pretend he's not in the room. They do well in setting the scene in order to get you into the mindset of a PC, they have created a front-door setting, with a fake gate and bushes, with the actors standing outside their doors, as if it's a real street. Anyway, i initially didn't immediately get involved, I gave it like 5-10 seconds to asses what I was looking at, then approached the actors. I interrupted the arguement and explained who I was ( hello, I am PC ...., I have been called here as there have been reports of a dispute.. blah blah). Again, approach with confidence and respect. They are not expecting you to know how to act like a PC. They want to see how good your communication skills are.and ability to dissolve a heated situation, and also come to a resolution. Oh, and show EMPATHY. Say things like "I understand what you're saying" and maybe throw in a similar experience you personally have been through. Again, if you begin to struggle, the actors will help you out. The scenario will last 10 mins and will end regardless of where you are in the discussion. Try to end the 10 mins with a resolution for them both.

Do your best to get into character straight away. I felt I did well as I just ran with it from the get go. Be respectful, polite and show empathy.

Then I finished the day with the bleep test. It's a walk in the park. 15 meter shuttle that ends at 5.4. I didn't even sweat.

And that was that. They don't tell you there and then if youve passed or not. If you've passed, you'll get an email saying you're now on the vetting process.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions, fire away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending