The Student Room Group

One China, two governments

When people today talk about China, they usually mean the so-called "People's Republic of China" or Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo in Mandarin, overlooking the fact that a Chinese Republic or Zhonghua Minguo based in Taipei is also in China, which is now a geographic region that consists of two rival countries vying for the control of the entire region.

Now, given the recent accusations of people criticizing the People's Republic of China of being responsible for the spread of coronavirus in the first place of being closet racists, perhaps some clarity about which country in China one is speaking of is in order.

If you want to refer to the People's Republic of China, why not use the acronym PRC?

If you're talking about the Chinese Republic currently based in Taiwan, why not say "ROC"?

That way, not only you'll say something closer to reality, but you'll also clarify to anyone that you're not using criticism of the PRC as a blanket insult to the Chinese people in general.

The same principle should be applicable to the two countries in Korea, as well as talking about the two countries in Germany before the Federal Republic of Germany absorbed the German Democratic Republic (which was different from reunification).
Reply 1
Taiwanese people do not like to be associated with China and the most of the world (informally) recognises that, so when people mention China they are obviously referring to China and not Taiwan. Taiwan is Taiwan and China is China.
Reply 2
Original post by wyaoh
Taiwanese people do not like to be associated with China and the most of the world (informally) recognises that, so when people mention China they are obviously referring to China and not Taiwan. Taiwan is Taiwan and China is China.

The citizens of the Chinese Republic in Taiwan cannot deny that they are citizens of the Chinese Republic, regardless of what they feel about it.

I only seek to dispel the popular conflation of China and the Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo.
The distinction is completely unneeded semantics, just makes you look like a pseudo-intellectual pedant.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
The distinction is completely unneeded semantics, just makes you look like a pseudo-intellectual pedant.

I don't intend to impress, just dispel the popular misconception that the Chinese Republic is Taiwan and the Commonwealth of the Chinese Masses is China.

Taiwan is only one part of the Chinese Republic, while the Commonwealth of the Chinese Masses is only a country within China (the geographic region).
Original post by SlaveofAll
I don't intend to impress, just dispel the popular misconception that the Chinese Republic is Taiwan and the Commonwealth of the Chinese Masses is China.

Taiwan is only one part of the Chinese Republic, while the Commonwealth of the Chinese Masses is only a country within China (the geographic region).

Nobody is going to be confused when someone refers to China just as nobody is confused when people talk about Britain when actually meaning the UK.
Reply 6
Nobody is going to be confused when someone refers to China just as nobody is confused when people talk about Britain when actually meaning the UK.

The case of the UK is quite different from the case of two countries vying for the control of the entire China.
Reply 7

I dont know, a lot of Americans (as an example) seem to be very confused as to what GB/UK/ENG etc. are :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
I dont know, a lot of Americans (as an example) seem to be very confused as to what GB/UK/ENG etc. are :lol:

Not to mention the two countries of the Congo
Original post by Napp

Americans are confused by all geography.
Reply 10

It is a reasonable question to ask, but who decides what sovereignty a country has? Is it when someone says it is? When most recognise it as something or because there is a piece of paper somewhere that says it? Currently you appear to be "saying" Taiwan is Chinese therefore it is. Wouldn't it be reasonable to ask the people of Taiwan what they think?
Reply 11
Americans are confused by all geography.

There are sme great videos on youtube of street 'surveys' (nevermind the depressing actual ones) of this. People on Quora etc. asking questions like 'why do the english speak english (an american language) instead of a european one'. Its rather depressing that a country with their power is populated with ejits of such a calibre. Thats not to say the UK is much better but still
I don't intend to impress,

Don't worry, you aren't.
Original post by hotpud
It is a reasonable question to ask, but who decides what sovereignty a country has? Is it when someone says it is? When most recognise it as something or because there is a piece of paper somewhere that says it? Currently you appear to be "saying" Taiwan is Chinese therefore it is. Wouldn't it be reasonable to ask the people of Taiwan what they think?

I never claimed that Taiwan belongs to China (the geographic region).

I did say that Taiwan is within the jurisdiction of the Chinese Republic (one of the two Chinese countries).

Like I said, the claim by its supporters that Taiwan is not Chinese does so doesn't deny the fact that many people in Taiwan and its vicinity are citizens of the Chinese Republic, which is a matter of law, not cultural claim.
Original post by Trilobite.
Don't worry, you aren't.

What's your point even?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending