The Student Room Group

British Male Cuckholdery

We have an interesting thing going on in Western society.

Men are unknowingly raising children that aren't their own. Depending upon the research study, between 2% and 3.7% of men in Britain are falling victim of this.

This is hundreds of thousands if not a million men.
Some questions to consider:

1) Have Western men shot themselves in the foot by supporting feminism?

2) What can be done to sort this issue? Currently all we've seen is Western countries try to sweep the issue under the rug (France has made paternity testing illegal without court permission.)
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A lot of Western men are so metrosexual these days, thats the problem.
Reply 2
a heterosexual urban man who enjoys shopping, fashion, and similar interests traditionally associated with women or gay men.
Reply 3
Without being able to read the actual study I would suggest this is classic Fleet Street sensationalist red blood pumping nonsense.

So what if men are rising kids that are not their own wittingly or not. Good for them and good for the kids.
Reply 4
What does feminism have to do with any of this?
Reply 5
How is it bad for men that they are raising kids that aren't there own? And given that this is a tiny minority of men, why are you talking as if this is impacting on men as a whole. And regardless of the men in question, it is undoubtedly good for the kids.

I tried to access the study, but I am not that interested that I am prepared to pay for it.

Stuff happens in this world. I think to extrapolate that there is some underhanded evil going on across the whole of society is just a bit knee jerk to me. I am curious to know how the conclusion was arrived at. It wouldn't surprise me if it was based on a Facebook survey or other dubious data source.
Original post by hotpud
How is it bad for men that they are raising kids that aren't there own? And given that this is a tiny minority of men, why are you talking as if this is impacting on men as a whole. And regardless of the men in question, it is undoubtedly good for the kids.

I tried to access the study, but I am not that interested that I am prepared to pay for it.

Stuff happens in this world. I think to extrapolate that there is some underhanded evil going on across the whole of society is just a bit knee jerk to me. I am curious to know how the conclusion was arrived at. It wouldn't surprise me if it was based on a Facebook survey or other dubious data source.

Tiny minority? As Gaddafi said it is in fact, more than the amount of gay men (or at least the percentages are similar)... and I've heard nothing of this but a lot about gay men...
It is good for the kids to have a father figure, but is it good for the kids to be raised, not knowing that the man raising them was actually not their true father?
^PRSOM.
1. No, since feminism has nothing to do with people cheating on their partners (and their partners not knowing about it). Cheating has lasted a lot longer than feminism has. Plus you can be a feminist but not want to raise a child that isn't yours.

2. Paternity testing. It's that simple.
Reply 9
No - I am saying show me the evidence that your claim is true.

I have found the article that the news article is based on. It is here:

https://lirias.kuleuven.be/retrieve/386653

It isn't a study. It is a referenced magazine article and makes no claims that 1-2% of men are fathering different children. What is does say is this:

"recent work shows that the EPP rate in contemporary populations is in the range of just 1–2% [4,5]. If true, this would be reassuring news for many fathers"

In other words, it has found a study which cites the 1 - 2% figure but questions if this is actually correct or not. I can see a lazy editor of a newspaper pushing this through in the name of sensational journalism without actually making any false or libellous claims even if it is stretching the truth somewhat.

It is interesting to note that studies cited as [4] and [5] are either based on data from Germany or data from around the world and are not necessarily relevant to the UK. They both also use estimation techniques of which only a small error can be extrapolated to be a big over or under estimation.

My conclusion - this is pseudo-science bilge which makes a nice headline and perhaps paves the way for further research but gives us nothing conclusive. It is the sort of article designed specifically to get folks like yourself really worked up about something that probably isn't even really a thing.

But regardless, what business is it of yours anyway?
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm assuming that by 'feminism' here you are referencing things like birth control, right to divorce and general 'sexual liberation'.

I would argue that without these things the overall number of men raising children that are not theirs may well decrease, but, the number of men doing so unknowingly could actually increase. By removing divorce you ensure that women cannot leave their unhappy relationships for their new lovers, and by removing contraception you ensure that any extra-marital sex that occurs would be unprotected, and by imposing conservative attitudes toward sex these women would be more likely to keep everything very secret.
Original post by hotpud
No - I am saying show me the evidence that your claim is true.

I have found the article that the news article is based on. It is here:

https://lirias.kuleuven.be/retrieve/386653

It isn't a study. It is a referenced magazine article and makes no claims that 1-2% of men are fathering different children. What is does say is this:

"recent work shows that the EPP rate in contemporary populations is in the range of just 1–2% [4,5]. If true, this would be reassuring news for many fathers"

In other words, it has found a study which cites the 1 - 2% figure but questions if this is actually correct or not. I can see a lazy editor of a newspaper pushing this through in the name of sensational journalism without actually making any false or libellous claims even if it is stretching the truth somewhat.

It is interesting to note that studies cited as [4] and [5] are either based on data from Germany or data from around the world and are not necessarily relevant to the UK. They both also use estimation techniques of which only a small error can be extrapolated to be a big over or under estimation.

My conclusion - this is pseudo-science bilge which makes a nice headline and perhaps paves the way for further research but gives us nothing conclusive. It is the sort of article designed specifically to get folks like yourself really worked up about something that probably isn't even really a thing.

But regardless, what business is it of yours anyway?

Not only that but several of the referenced studies looked at time periods that go back several centuries and found that the rates have remained static to this day ([7], [10], [11], [12])

Not only that but at least one of the studies argues that the rates were likely to be higher before the introduction of the pill, for reasons similar to those I suggested above:

"Critics, however, point out that in historical times, EPP rates might well have been much higher due to the lack of reliable contraceptive methods and limited knowledge about sexually transmitted diseases. Indeed, in one study, a slight but significant decrease in EPP events was reported following the introduction of the birth control pill".

In other words, OP's claims have been shot in the head by the very research he based them on.
(edited 2 years ago)
One minute, men on the internet are blaming feminism because women are out having too much fun and not settling down. The next minute, men on the internet are blaming feminism because women are being too selective to date them. Then men on the internet are blaming feminism because women are not popping out enough babies. Now I see men on the internet are blaming feminism because women are popping babies, just not with them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
How is it bad for men that they are raising kids that aren't there own?

Nothing wrong with it if it’s out of choice. But I think the OP is talking about cases where it’s the result of deception.
It's not one study, it's one article that references a multitude of studies - and what's more it's the very article you based your original claim on.

I skimmed through the link you provided and ignoring the fact that many of the estimates seem implausibly high, there doesn't seem to be much difference between estimates from the 50s and those from more modern studies. If anything they might actually be higher, though it's hard to say since the numbers and methodologies vary so drastically.
Reply 15
That's unrelated to what you asked. How is men supporting feminism a problem in the context of unknowingly raising children that aren't their own?
Reply 16
Sadly all very old research and many of the links no longer work. Practically all are statistical predictions based on tiny sample sizes which in populations are notoriously unreliable. There are certain sections of society where this is likely to be more of an issue than others. Similarly, a good study based in one country can not be extrapolated to another.

I am not saying this doesn't happen, but the idea of it being between 1 in 50 and 1 in a 100 men in the UK - nahhhhh. Sorry. I don't buy it.
As one would imagine I agree with the OP.

While there is nothing wrong with raising a child that is not your own (indeed I can see how it could be a honourable or generous act) it is a disgusting betrayal to force a child upon a man that is not his own without knowledge, to remove his personal sovereignty.

Also it is frankly yet another signal of how many women feel they can spread their legs while in a relationship and avoid any consequences.

Original post by SHallowvale
1. No, since feminism has nothing to do with people cheating on their partners (and their partners not knowing about it). Cheating has lasted a lot longer than feminism has. Plus you can be a feminist but not want to raise a child that isn't yours.

2. Paternity testing. It's that simple.

Is sexual liberation not a mark of female empowerment. Even you must admit that each generation of woman is progressively less loyal in their relationships.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Is sexual liberation not a mark of female empowerment. Even you must admit that each generation of woman is progressively less loyal in their relationships.

I have no idea if that's true or not, or if it has any effect on the number of men raising children who are not theirs. By the sounds of it, the statistic has remained fairly consistent throughout history. Feminism, or lack thereof, isn't going to stop people cheating on their partner and raising a child that's not theirs.

In any case, you can be a feminist and not want to raise a child that isn't yours.
According to the article you have provided by the Independent 1 in 50 men are unknowingly raising a child which isn't theirs. Let's assume this to be true or close to the truth for the benefit of the conversation.

One aspect of this story is cheating and the other is deception on a massive scale.

Not only those women have cheated at their partners but they have deceived them the worst possible way. Those men are raising these kids with the belief that they are their own. How unethical from the part of these women to have deceived their men after cheating on them...

There is a huge difference between knowingly raising other people's children and having fallen a victim of deception to believe they are yours.

I have seen some comments above that are just exceptional...

@The RAR
@TCA2b
@londonmyst
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending