The Student Room Group

Casio FX991 ES banned??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zacken
If it was my decision, I'd say we should all use no calculators. That'd encourage a modicum of thinking, at least.

I wouldn't be too opposed to this idea for A Level. I especially think Mechanics should be non-calculator e.g. in M1 you can express answers in terms of gg.

I taught in a Thai school where students didn't use calculators. They did all trig using exact values. But I asked them one time what they would do if the angle in the triangle was 22 degrees and they had no idea. It was nice to see a complex trig question done without a calculator but I think students should at least have some exposure to calculators in lessons.

If it was my decision, I think I would keep calculators for GCSE but get rid of them for A Level.
Reply 21
Original post by notnek
I wouldn't be too opposed to this idea for A Level. I especially think Mechanics should be non-calculator e.g. in M1 you can express answers in terms of gg.

Yep, this is what I got used to in STEP; that or being told [use].

I would think that a conpromise between no calculator and calculator is having only a simple scientific/electronic calculator being allowed.

I taught in a Thai school where students didn't use calculators. They did all trig using exact values. But I asked them one time what they would do if the angle in the triangle was 22 degrees and they had no idea. It was nice to see a complex trig question done without a calculator but I think students should at least have some exposure to calculators in lessons.

If it was my decision, I think I would keep calculators for GCSE but get rid of them for A Level.

Yeah, I can definitely see your point. We'd need to keep them around for stats though, wouldn't we?
Original post by Xenon17
Are you serious its allowed. This just means you can effectively bypass learning methods like algebraic long division and method of inspection for C2

Still gotta learn it. Plus it only gives you one solution to an equation with multiple solutions. It's good for checking your answers but it's definitely not a way to bypass learning the methods.
Reply 23
Original post by Zacken

Yeah, I can definitely see your point. We'd need to keep them around for stats though, wouldn't we?

Yes stats exams would still have to be calculator papers.
Reply 24
Original post by notnek
Yes stats exams would still have to be calculator papers.

Maybe they could make core, mechanics and the pure units non-calculator? I think a lot of STEM students get shocked at uni when they face non-calc papers - in the uni I'll be attending all they allow is a very simple scientific. GDCs only in lab work.

Revamping stats so it focuses more on the probability and algebra stuff (like they do in STEP) and less on data handling and testing could also make things more interesting
Reply 25
No. I used it in my A-Level exams. You can even have graphing calculators in A-Level exams, just no CAS (Computer Algebra System), QWERTY keyboard (alphabetically-ordered ones are allowed), or non-volatile data storage (data that is not cleared after turning the calculator of and on)

Please read the specification of your qualification for definitive information on the topic.
Original post by Alexion
Still gotta learn it. Plus it only gives you one solution to an equation with multiple solutions. It's good for checking your answers but it's definitely not a way to bypass learning the methods.

Na it gives you all solutions check OP.
Original post by Xenon17
Na it gives you all solutions check OP.

****ing hell I wish I'd known that sooner lmao
Original post by Xenon17
Are you serious its allowed. This just means you can effectively bypass learning methods like algebraic long division and method of inspection for C2

Original post by Zacken
And then have it bite you in the ass later down the line; plus you still need to show working in exam papers.

Original post by Zacken
It'd be extremely useful for double checking your answer. Definitely use it in that respect (or any other calculator, for that matter) - but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing.

Pretty much every that's needs to be said, easy to double check but ya still need to know how to write stuff down
Original post by thefatone
Pretty much every that's needs to be said, easy to double check but ya still need to know how to write stuff down

10/10 thanks for stating the obvious
Original post by Xenon17
10/10 thanks for stating the obvious

: D

Quick Reply

Latest