The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys what is the most effective way to study?
Reply 4641
Original post by saahil0987
Try waking up a little earlier if you need to, so that you can fit in an hour or so of revision before going to school if you can. Also try to go over some of your year 10 work so that you've refreshed your brain before fully revising during the Easter holidays

Yeah that's a good idea, I definitely need to go over my y10 stuff, do u revise before school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any of you been on a Justin Craig revision course before? I can't find a Science tutor so I was thinking about going on a course with them and was wondering if it's any good.
How did you guys find the physics 2015 isa on resistors?
Original post by jweath
What are everyone's A level choices?

Maths, physics, French and Spanish, Wbu? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTruthTeller
How did you guys find the physics 2015 isa on resistors?

Meh, it was okay. Just make sure you know how your investigation relates to the context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jweath

Mathematics, psychology, business studies and textiles. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jweath

For the moment: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History.. You?
Reply 4648
Original post by jweath

Maths, biology, chemistry and geography, what are your choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing IB in 6th form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering how you guys were revising for the Unit 1 English Lit paper, never even know where to start when revising texts. Any tips? (I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Crucible). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Just wondering how you guys were revising for the Unit 1 English Lit paper, never even know where to start when revising texts. Any tips? (I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Crucible). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, I have no idea where to start! What exam board are you on?
HELP!!! Is my revision helping me? I copy from a book and write it down and is that ok or not? Aswell as that I need 5 C's in my gcse and i got straight d's on my report how can i improve? Just revise for 1 hr and do a past paper?? Give advice pls
Original post by SSAA9
He is really strict if I ask him to check my work, he doesn't as he thinks is cheating ( which it probably is) he doesn't give us lot of vocabulary, so I have to use revision guides to help myself, but it's so hard to learn a new tense on your own,if it's easy for you then it will be great if you can tell me the 3 examples, I hope that's fine with you, btw how do you find French?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i hate learning all the vocab and verbs etc but our teacher is really friendly so that helps. we are doing our speaking ca next thursday so once that is out the way it should be ok.:smile:
Original post by Lfc1998
HELP!!! Is my revision helping me? I copy from a book and write it down and is that ok or not? Aswell as that I need 5 C's in my gcse and i got straight d's on my report how can i improve? Just revise for 1 hr and do a past paper?? Give advice pls

Hi! What exam board are you sitting... if you're sitting Cambridge, especially for Science, I can send you some notes that can really help you.

What I find really helpful is making notes according to the syllabus. Because it tells you exactly what you need to know. Then do past papers.

Hi guys! I also need help!! I'm so scared for my GCSEs. Basically I'm predicted A*-As for everythiing else, a B for econ and Cs and Ds for maths and ICT. Also, easter break starts on the 28th, then we're back in school for 2 weeks until april 28, which is our first exam. I reallyw anna go on a study leave as the teachers are not helping. We do have a study leave but it's only 4 days and I wanna go now. Should I?
Original post by jweath

Further Maths, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish
Original post by Steliata
Same here, I have no idea where to start! What exam board are you on?

AQA, Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jweath

Biology, psychology, German and geography. I'M SO EXCITED :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Lfc1998

I use textbooks and do all the summary questions whilst writing down key ideas on a flash card. I'm not too sure how beneficial that was because I did a biology past paper and felt like everything I'd done was useless. If you can do a past paper in timed conditions over a period of time and start to see good progress, you're doing well :biggrin:
Do loads of past papers and ALWAYS check on stuff you don't understand/know. Get a list of the topics from the exam spec/text book and circle the ones you honestly have no clue about. Leave the areas you're confident/okay with until the end.
D to a C might not be such a huge boundary in the exam, and whats on your report is not a physical boundary to what you can get on the real thing. If you're aiming for 5 C's try doing more than an hour a day, or just calculate how many pages of each text book you need to do every day to be finished by beginning of May.
In the exam, a good technique someone taught me was (unless it's English, geography, a listening exam, or any other exam which is SERIOUSLY pen-on-paper ASAP), spend the first few minutes breathing and looking through the paper to get your bearings. If you see a question and think "yoooo this is ma shiiiiz" then do it straight away. If you're over half way through time and not half way through the paper, go to the back and start from there through the paper to get the big marks. Also, if you run out of time you can say you "missed out some questions" and don't have to deal with the guilt of not finishing a paper :colondollar:
Use YouTube videos, MathsWatch, KeshMaths, anything to help you out. You've got more time than you think so use it wisely! Best of luck :tongue:
Original post by SampleX

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm, but knowing the themes of each chapter/section really helps. Re-read the books minimum 2 times before the exam, knowing your way around the book can be a time saver! Whichever book is the 'optional' book where you don't talk about context despite it being a lit paper, the question will be based on a theme or character importance. Learn them all!

Latest