Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's mostly because it's cheaper. Alot of young people can't afford meat lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to stop wearing clothes from Primark, Gap, Adidas and Nike because their factories exploit their workers.

Anyone care to help me expand my list of brands I should avoid?

ReputationRep:
    I turned vegetarian after watching a documentary at the age of 7, (and then chicken run ) I can't believe I used to eat happy meals and crap before that and it's unfair I was raised eating meat without having all the facts and understanding the implications. Eating meat is easy for the general population because meat is dressed up to look like anything other than meat, it's disguised, changed, how many meat eaters would willingly go out there, butcher animals, deflesh them and cook the meat themselves, meat eaters i know can't even go into a butcher's due to the smell, people just eat fake packaged style meats or fast food meats etc.

I dare meat eaters to watch docs such as earthlings, and cowspiracy to gain a real sense of how meat eating is "natural"- no, the meat industry is the exact opposite of natural and is costing the earth in resources because of the mass production of factory farming.

My biggest issue is with how animals are treated en masse, the living conditions and cruelty is inhumane, and surely at least in the western world this can be circumvented.

In response to your post, I think more and more people are gaining awareness and can't ignore issues any further. My best friend used to eat meat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, toby carvery, nandos all that crap and I'd say she was probably a meat addict and gave no thought to the suffering and how the meat was sourced. She watched Earthlings and the very next day did a complete 180 and became vegan, heck she's 1000x more passionate than me about it all and everyone is still shocked at her transformation, (myself being very proud) I never made her watch it, she discovered it on her own. When I was younger I used to preach a lot, protest against it, and become upset easily about meat (i.e crying at the sight of a turkey at xmas) I couldn't understand why my family/cousins/friends didn't perceive things the way I did, after growing up I rarely raise the issue with anyone, it's for them to discover in their own time (though we only have organic animal products in the house! and that is my small victory)

Humans have the gift of empathy, use it.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it is mainly due to moral reasons.
    I believe that in the medium-term future most people will become vegetarian. We have to take into consideration all the new scientific developments, such as artificial meat, and a huge range of foods for vegetarians. It will be easier than ever to lead a vegetarian diet.
    I am not a vegetarian. However, I don't deny that one day I'd like to take the step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    I'm going to stop wearing clothes from Primark, Gap, Adidas and Nike because their factories exploit their workers.

Anyone care to help me expand my list of brands I should avoid?

know any brands that don't exploit workers?

Primark is the only shop I would buy clothes from because the clothes are sold for close to their actual value whereas other brands make 10000000% profits every time they sell an item of clothing since they only cost a few pennies to make.

(Original post by selfteaching)
    I turned vegetarian after watching a documentary at the age of 7, (and then chicken run ) I can't believe I used to eat happy meals and crap before that and it's unfair I was raised eating meat without having all the facts and understanding the implications. Eating meat is easy for the general population because meat is dressed up to look like anything other than meat, it's disguised, changed, how many meat eaters would willingly go out there, butcher animals, deflesh them and cook the meat themselves, meat eaters i know can't even go into a butcher's due to the smell, people just eat fake packaged style meats or fast food meats etc.

I dare meat eaters to watch docs such as earthlings, and cowspiracy to gain a real sense of how meat eating is "natural"- no, the meat industry is the exact opposite of natural and is costing the earth in resources because of the mass production of factory farming.

My biggest issue is with how animals are treated en masse, the living conditions and cruelty is inhumane, and surely at least in the western world this can be circumvented.

In response to your post, I think more and more people are gaining awareness and can't ignore issues any further. My best friend used to eat meat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, toby carvery, nandos all that crap and I'd say she was probably a meat addict and gave no thought to the suffering and how the meat was sourced. She watched Earthlings and the very next day did a complete 180 and became vegan, heck she's 1000x more passionate than me about it all and everyone is still shocked at her transformation, (myself being very proud) I never made her watch it, she discovered it on her own. When I was younger I used to preach a lot, protest against it, and become upset easily about meat (i.e crying at the sight of a turkey at xmas) I couldn't understand why my family/cousins/friends didn't perceive things the way I did, after growing up I rarely raise the issue with anyone, it's for them to discover in their own time (though we only have organic animal products in the house! and that is my small victory)

Humans have the gift of empathy, use it.
    I would because it's just the way of life lol. Lions and other animals eat other animals. Cows also still eat living beings (plants). The only organisms that don't harm innocent living beings are certain micro organisms (even plants end up killing other plants to survive). The rest of us have to kill to survive (including herbivores).

I just don't see how one living thing is seen as a more ethical food choice than another living thing.

ReputationRep:
    Prolly can't afford to buy fresh meat/don't know how to cook it properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    know any brands that don't exploit workers?

Primark is the only shop I would buy clothes from because the clothes are sold for close to their actual value whereas other brands make 10000000% profits every time they sell an item of clothing since they only cost a few pennies to make.

I would because it's just the way of life lol. Lions and other animals eat other animals. Cows also still eat living beings (plants). The only organisms that don't harm innocent living beings are certain micro organisms (even plants end up killing other plants to survive). The rest of us have to kill to survive (including herbivores).

I just don't see how one living thing is seen as a more ethical food choice than another living thing.
    M&S, monsoon, people tree, I don't buy clothes often, and mainly use charity shops though.
    I *think* sainsburys as well, but I can't remember for sure, haven't bought clothes from them for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I had wanted to be vegetarian for a few years, but my parents took the stance of until I was 18 I'd carry on eating meat so as to not potentially impact on growth (which I understand their concern), but once I decided to commit they were fully supportive and helped with sorting meals at the start.

It was initially a moral choice, but going vegetarian has made me a lot healthier (as in I eat far less fast food and I tend towards snacking on fruit instead of sweets and chocolate) so it's something I don't regret, and something I'll stick with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    What made you give it up?
    I was persuaded by my parents to give up being vegetarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I was persuaded by my parents to give up being vegetarian
    Why would they do that?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    They can't afford good quality meat. The stuff you get in the supermarkets is horrible.
    The Co-op meat is very good to be fair to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    Why would they do that?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they did the right thing

ReputationRep:
    You've already admitted to trolling. Time to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I think they did the right thing
    You cannot even think to know if they did the right thing. They had to think for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You've already admitted to trolling. Time to stop.
    That isn't trolling, they use the RSPCA Freedom Foods standard and Red Tractor standard for all their meat.

The quality of their meat is very good. But you wouldn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    Tried turkey from there, very dry. Local butchers, farmers markets is where it's at. Charge a little more. No one can be bothered to shop in different places though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Tried turkey from there, very dry. Local butchers, farmers markets is where it's at. Charge a little more. No one can be bothered to shop in different places though.
    Turkey is just a horrible meat no matter the source.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jonathan Crane)
    Humans are naturally omnivorous, choosing to be anything else makes no sense.
    Humans are also "naturally" hunter-gatherers who live in extremely simple nomadic structures (and that's pushing the definition of natural) in tribes of a few dozen and dying at an age of 30 so the whole "it's natural so everything else makes no sense" doesn't really work.

ReputationRep:
    More awareness. Information and images/videos they see on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey is just a horrible meat no matter the source.
    Disagree, some places do a quality bird around xmas!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.