The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Exams987
i am sure that we dont need an experiment for this, it says it here in the spec

Work function φ, photoelectric equation hf = φ + Ek; the stopping potentialexperiment is not required.

You'd only need to know it if you were doing the turning points modules
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
gluons since the SNF keeps a hold of everything gluons sounds like glue is how i remember

SN

Gluons between quarks and pions between hadrons ( which is what you see on the feynman diagrams)
(edited 7 years ago)
good luck for tomorrow !!!
can anyone please explain the question on JAN 10 qs 6b (state and explain which two cells in circuit you would expect to go flat)? i am a bit confused about the answer
Original post by kother2015
good luck for tomorrow !!!
can anyone please explain the question on JAN 10 qs 6b (state and explain which two cells in circuit you would expect to go flat)? i am a bit confused about the answer

just done this questions basically as more current passes through c and d as they are in series so get the full current, whereas a and b split the current
Reply 64
hey guys
i wanted to know if this exam is going to include any other parts except particles phenomena and electricity
thanks in advance
i found this playlist very useful for the electricity section of unit 1

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7lGCvspoEycdommQdVpClPe1AKom9Cm

here is the particle physics playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7lGCvspoEzvruZ55zuOG4EkVKjPzFnc

hope that helps

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 66
Do we need to know the definitions of Kirchhoff's laws? Also, any other definitions of things that aren't on the data sheet?
Reply 67
Original post by micycle
Do we need to know the definitions of Kirchhoff's laws? Also, any other definitions of things that aren't on the data sheet?

https://4da769144ba19deaa0b42b360cf61193e3578006.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQUU1R3FWTHdIbjg/Definitions%20-%20Unit%201%20AQA%20Physics%20A-level.pdf
Original post by micycle

Even if not, just remember that "the sum of the currents flowing into a junction is equal to the sum of the currents flowing out of the junction".
Reply 69
is Kirchhoff's laws in the unit 1 spec?

if so can you please point out where,

thanks
Hello I have a video recapping all of Unit 1....... as going through the what you need to know on the specification doc from the AQA website.

Enjoy !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO880oYUdV4
what things do we nead to remember ... I.E formula not in the booklet or values
Original post by micycle

We don't need to know the definitions, just how they work and apply them to circuits.

The formula for the threshold frequency (fo = work function/h) is required but not on the data sheet
Reply 73
AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

the mass of the string is 3.1g and the total length of the string is 0.91m. show that the tension in the string when it is sounding the harmonic shown is about 70N
Reply 74
When an atom becomes an ion, there are only changes to the number of electrons (more or less); protons are untouched right?
I think the 6 mark question will be either on finding an I-V characteristic or something to do with oscilloscopes. Maybe something on the photoelectric effect or line emission spectra. Unlikely to be on particles as this came up last year
Hi guys... im stuck on question 6 (b) Jan 13 paper! I don't get how to work out the voltage of C-D. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Reply 77
Original post by Umuayman
the mass of the string is 3.1g and the total length of the string is 0.91m. show that the tension in the string when it is sounding the harmonic shown is about 70N

which paper and questions is this from ?
Reply 78
Original post by yasinmckay
Hi guys... im stuck on question 6 (b) Jan 13 paper! I don't get how to work out the voltage of C-D. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Voltage at C = 12-((20/40)*12) = 6

Voltage at D = 12-((10/15)*12) = 4

6-4 = 2V.

The voltage lost over the resistors is proportional to their resistance. In the B-F strand, the 10k resistor uses double the V as the 5k resistor; hence, (10/15)*12V.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by micycle
Voltage at C = 12-((20/40)*12) = 6

Voltage at D = 12-((10/15)*12) = 4

6-4 = 2V.

The voltage lost over the resistors is proportional to their resistance. In the B-F strand, the 10k resistor uses double the V as the 5k resistor; hence, (10/15)*12V.

Thank you so much... makes sence now.

Quick Reply

Latest