The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

ewandougie
WRONG!! I had a TV licence, I know loads of people who had one. The "enforcement" officers, (the wierdos wondering around with an aerial) have visited Priory Hall last year a few times and probably gave out fines to those without one. Its not worth the risk!

Did they? I didn't get a letter OR a visit...

(Incidentally there is a huge thread on this somewhere; you don't have to let them in.)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 21
Ice_Queen
Did they? I didn't get a letter OR a visit...

(Incidentally there is a huge thread on this somewhere; you don't have to let them in.)

For some reason they targeted international students more, probably because they didn't understand that if they didnt have a warrent they had no right to enter, for some reason security let them in anyways.
Reply 22
why are people so dead set on breaking the law, and avoiding it.

just be decent.
Reply 23
Ridzzle

Sure, if you think you're above the law, don't contact them. But I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they come knocking mate.

Sorry for the delay, ive had no internet for weeks now.

Anyway, I think you have misunderstood their website. They would like you to contact them, however you are under no legal obligation to do so. They are a private company, they do not make the laws.

I dont think I'm above the law, but I do think I have a better understanding of the laws relating to TV Licensing then 99.9% of the users here because I've actually looked at the laws and relevant FOI requests made to Capita and the BBC as well as parlimentary questionning which has confirmed there is not a legfal obligation to contact the TV Licensing people to inform them if you do not require a TV.

I could go around digging out the relevant sources but as this is 3 weeks old I shant bother. If you're really that desperate to see the sources for it, feel free to PM me and I can take you through it.
TLMZ
why are people so dead set on breaking the law, and avoiding it.

just be decent.

Cos it's cheaper?

Lots of people find it hard to understand why we are asked to pay a TV license etc. etc.
TLMZ
as long as you have an individual room number and address, you have to have a TV license.

it is true about the DVD and games thing, but it's VERY hard to prove...if you even have an aerial port in your room, or on your tv, they will presume you're using it for the television.

Absolute rubbish. They have to prove you have been watching live TV not you prove the opposite!!!!
Ridzzle
http://tvlicensing.metafaq.com/templates/tvlicensing/main/answerPage?_mftvst:answerRef=%24http%3a%2f%2fapi.transversal.com%2fmfapi%2fobjectref%2fEntryStore%2fEntry%2fhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.metafaq.com%2fmfapi%2fMetafaq%2fClients%2ftvlicensing%2fModules%2flicensingInfo%2fTopics%2fgeneral%3a134832%3a5&_mftvst:moduleID=%24licensingInfo&_mftvst:topicID=%24&id=I6SR3FQHRJC44I80PKS9KDMM7C this site begs to differ.

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

They have devices that they can use to check if you have a TV, they use detector vans that can search neighbourhoods. If they see you have a TV and your address isn't in their database then they'll come knocking. And do you think they're going to just walk away if you don't let them in? They'll return with a warrent thats if the university/whoever owns the place doesn't let them in first... Its against the law to not have one if you own a tv without special pardon by themselves, in the case stated above about gaming and DVD's. So you are under legal obligation, once you purchase a TV for a residence that has no licence, to contact them be that from simply buying a licence or writing to them to tell them that you don't need one.

They know students will try to get out of paying for it, both my cousins have said representatives came round to student halls to make sure students have a valid licence and those without got a £1000 fine and told to pay.

Sure, if you think you're above the law, don't contact them. But I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they come knocking mate.

Yet more uninformed rubbish!!
This poster doesn't even understand English.
A request to inform can be ignored with impunity!!
Will you all please just accept that Reue is an authority on this!!!
Reply 27
hypocriticaljap

Will you all please just accept that Reue is an authority on this!!!

Heh, Thanks :wink:
I accept that Reue is an authority on this, definitly!:biggrin:

And really with the amount of TV I watch, and its really not much at all I think if I do make into Coventry, I could pass on the TV.

If someone is staying on Campus how are internet rates? I'd be coming over from America.
Reply 29
Singer hall has appalling internet, infact i think everywhere has, but at the same time you have the option to pay £60 for a faster speed.
I just download programmes on bbc iPlayer and then delete them when im done, that way i can watch the programmes with no interruptions
Reply 30
Singer hall has appalling internet, infact i think everywhere has, but at the same time you have the option to pay £60 for a faster speed.
I just download programmes on bbc iPlayer and then delete them when im done, that way i can watch the programmes with no interruptions
Zebracolors
I accept that Reue is an authority on this, definitly!:biggrin:

And really with the amount of TV I watch, and its really not much at all I think if I do make into Coventry, I could pass on the TV.

If someone is staying on Campus how are internet rates? I'd be coming over from America.

The internet varies a lot for me despite upgrading to the "ultimate" package. Download speeds can range from under 1GB to ~8GB but the upload speeds are usually marginally higher then the down speed.

Right now... 1.43Mb/s Down 1.98Mb/s Up Ping 22
Nice, thank you Bilkos. Will have to remember that.:jumphug:

Latest