The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
Thanks, main A levels are Bio/Chem/Maths, offer of AAA, but also did an A level in General studies and got a D (:teehee:). AS levels were AABBCC in Maths/Chem, Bio/Psychology, General Studies/Critical Thinking, and I got an A in the extended project (which is apparently an AS level equivalent). Yes, I'm nervous for results day, quite a lot of difference between AAA and AAB unfortunately, and it's way to close for me to get comfortable.

Did you resit any of your AS modules this year in order to get the UMS bumped up? :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
Did you resit any of your AS modules this year in order to get the UMS bumped up? :smile:

Yeah, resat Chem U2 and Biology unit 2 and the AS coursework. Chemistry should be a safe A, Biology is only just an A so I need to pretty much average an A over U5 and the A2 coursework to get that lovely AAA. I scored 35/40 in the coursework, which has in the past gone between boundaries of 33-35 for the A, so I could get some extra precious UMS for if I didn't get what I needed in U5. Oooh it's all so frighteningly exciting :colone:
Original post by Normandy114
Yeah, resat Chem U2 and Biology unit 2 and the AS coursework. Chemistry should be a safe A, Biology is only just an A so I need to pretty much average an A over U5 and the A2 coursework to get that lovely AAA. I scored 35/40 in the coursework, which has in the past gone between boundaries of 33-35 for the A, so I could get some extra precious UMS for if I didn't get what I needed in U5. Oooh it's all so frighteningly exciting :colone:

Tell me about it - can't believe Results' Day is fewer than 3 weeks away :excited:
Original post by thegodofgod
Tell me about it - can't believe Results' Day is fewer than 3 weeks away :excited:

Oh f*** that crept up quickly haha, I still thought it was 5/6 weeks away! Just think, there's a good chance that lying somewhere are our marked papers, but we still can't find out what they are. I wonder what it would be like if they just emailed us the results as they're marked, like UCAS. Or imagine if UCAS had a results day?! What a terrifying concept...
Reply 9124
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
I could be wrong, but I haven't seen Dundee explicitly state that the UKCAT is worth 40% of the application. Last year, I could never find out how important the UKCAT is for Dundee but they did tell me that the average score of applicants invited to interview was 2675 (668.75avg). Checking their website will give you the most up-to-date information or you could email/phone admissions if you have a specific question.

The same goes for your other choices, the best way to get to most accurate information is to have a look at their websites. I'll briefly outline some points though.

The UKCAT only carries a weighting of 8% at Aberdeen so as long as the other aspects of your application are good, I won't matter too much. I know somebody, and have heard of others, who got offers from Aberdeen with score <600.

As somebody posted not long ago, Glasgow invite the top 800 UKCAT scorers to interview. This means that there will be a cut-off score, which has been around 650avg in recent years. If you meet the minimum requirements and score above the cut-off, you will be invited for an interview. Personal statement and reference are not looked at until you have overcome this hurdle.

Edinburgh divide applicants into quartiles depending on their score. Those in the top quartile are awarded 3 points, second quartile 2 points, third quartile 1 point and fourth quartile no points. The UKCAT is also used as a tie-breaker. If applicants have the same number of points after all aspects of the application have been taken into account, the people with the higher UKCAT scores will be given offers. The entire point system is explained on the Edinburgh website which I suggest you read.

Thanks for your help, that was really useful! :smile: will definitely check out their websites and research more into it.
Can someone apart from Myrrh reply? (even though he has been very helpful)
Hello

I have recently liked the idea of studying medicine at Uni, and this is my profile:
Don't neg, just because you think i'm bragging (My grades are average on TSR) or because you think I dont have a chance, i'm purely asking!

Be blunt with me, and tell me reasons why you think i won't get in:
Thank you in advance

GCSEs: I have done a short course, does that count as a full gcse? what about distinctions do they count?
6.5 or 6A*'s: Physics, Chem, Bio, Maths, 1/2 Re? ,Arabic, Geography,
3 or 5 A's: Stats, French, English lang. 2 distinctions in ocr nationals..?
4Bs: Literature, Drama, media, PE

Predicted AS levels: AAAB in bio chem maths and physics (hopefully i get an A)
Planning to drop lowest subject.

Work experience (I wanted to do medicine in year 10 and 11) :

Week filing at a local surgery and GP
Surgeon Procedure removing shards off a persons hand (E&A)- in Libya
Surgeon i was in an operation. (cancer related)
2 days in the wards speaking to patients
Attended a session with a doctor (colonscopy)
Day clinic and minor surgeries for a day.

Volunteering:
Mentoring maths 1/2 year
Peer mentoring first aid to children and active member of British red cross. 1/2 year
Life guard and life saver.
Coach 6-7 year olds Tennis :smile:
Shall i apply for a volunteering job in a british heart foundation charity shop?

what Unis do you think i should target?
Thank you all
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by myyrh
It really depends on when you want to do it. The earlier you do it the more time you have to choose where you wish to apply but then again you may want to wait till after results day. You should book it a date soon otherwise you risk losing the dates you want to pick as spaces fill up.

Shall i apply to exeter? or will my gcses not put me in an advantage? (basically what im saying is, what does exeter look at)?
Reply 9127
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Shall i apply to exeter? or will my gcses not put me in an advantage? (basically what im saying is, what does exeter look at)?

If you have a solid UKCAT score of 645+ ( Ideally 650+ to be on the safe side) I would consider them. Your GCSEs will not give you any advantage as Exeter only ask for 7Cs (everyone who achieves that or more is looked at in the same way).
Exeter select applicants for interview by using UKCAT scores and A level predicted grades. If you meet the cut-offs set for each sub section of the UKCAT and the overall cut-off as well the predicted grades, you'll get an interview.
How do you work your UKAS points?

I'm considerting going into medicine/forensics (still considering other options) but not sure what uni's and courses i'll be able to apply to?

I think i will get (GCSE's):
6 A*s - maths (IGCSE), Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT (x2),
5 A's - English Lang, R.E, Biology, Geography, (History or English lit)
1 B - (History or English lit)

And i'm hoping to take (A-levels):
AS - Maths, Chem, Phys, Geog, World dev.
A2 - Maths, Chem. Phys.

However i may end up swapping Geog and world dev to Further Maths, Do you think this would be beneficial at all?
Reply 9129
Original post by sophiekutie
How do you work your UKAS points?

I'm considerting going into medicine/forensics (still considering other options) but not sure what uni's and courses i'll be able to apply to?

I think i will get (GCSE's):
6 A*s - maths (IGCSE), Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT (x2),
5 A's - English Lang, R.E, Biology, Geography, (History or English lit)
1 B - (History or English lit)

And i'm hoping to take (A-levels):
AS - Maths, Chem, Phys, Geog, World dev.
A2 - Maths, Chem. Phys.

However i may end up swapping Geog and world dev to Further Maths, Do you think this would be beneficial at all?

You work out UCAS points by looking at A/AS level grades. an A at AS is worth 60points whilst an A at A level is worth 120 for instance. Your GCSEs are fine for medicine but as for your AS level choices you may find it tougher to choose a medical school because of the lack of Biology. Why don't you swap world development for Biology?
Original post by myyrh
You work out UCAS points by looking at A/AS level grades. an A at AS is worth 60points whilst an A at A level is worth 120 for instance. Your GCSEs are fine for medicine but as for your AS level choices you may find it tougher to choose a medical school because of the lack of Biology. Why don't you swap world development for Biology?

thank's for replying so fast :smile:

i don't really like boilogy, the teachers at the 6 form i'm going to aren't that great for teaching it and i find it muck harder than the other 2 sciences. i'm thinking it's better to do the subjects that i like and am good at than to risk it for a job i'm uncertain about :smile:

do you know where i can find all of the points for it? (How much an A* is ect) :smile:
Reply 9131
Original post by sophiekutie
thank's for replying so fast :smile:

i don't really like boilogy, the teachers at the 6 form i'm going to aren't that great for teaching it and i find it muck harder than the other 2 sciences. i'm thinking it's better to do the subjects that i like and am good at than to risk it for a job i'm uncertain about :smile:

do you know where i can find all of the points for it? (How much an A* is ect) :smile:

A* is 140, you can find all the information on the UCAS website.
AS Biology is very manageable and you can pretty much teach it to yourself, A2 is a different story. If you're considering medicine as a potential career really think hard about not taking Biology. Even if you have just the AS level it will open up so many more doors.
Reply 9132
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Can someone apart from Myrrh reply? (even though he has been very helpful)
Hello

I have recently liked the idea of studying medicine at Uni, and this is my profile:
Don't neg, just because you think i'm bragging (My grades are average on TSR) or because you think I dont have a chance, i'm purely asking!

Be blunt with me, and tell me reasons why you think i won't get in:
Thank you in advance

GCSEs: I have done a short course, does that count as a full gcse? what about distinctions do they count?
6.5 or 6A*'s: Physics, Chem, Bio, Maths, 1/2 Re? ,Arabic, Geography,
3 or 5 A's: Stats, French, English lang. 2 distinctions in ocr nationals..?
4Bs: Literature, Drama, media, PE

Predicted AS levels: AAAB in bio chem maths and physics (hopefully i get an A)
Planning to drop lowest subject.

Work experience (I wanted to do medicine in year 10 and 11) :

Week filing at a local surgery and GP
Surgeon Procedure removing shards off a persons hand (E&A)- in Libya
Surgeon i was in an operation. (cancer related)
2 days in the wards speaking to patients
Attended a session with a doctor (colonscopy)
Day clinic and minor surgeries for a day.

Volunteering:
Mentoring maths 1/2 year
Peer mentoring first aid to children and active member of British red cross. 1/2 year
Life guard and life saver.
Shall i apply for a volunteering job in a british heart foundation charity shop?

what Unis do you think i should target?
Thank you all

Ok your grades are fine! there better than mine lol
you work experience again is brill! If you could then organise a few more, and say in your PS that your planing to do more....
it all depends on your ukcat and bmat, sit the UKCAT first and then apply TACTICALLY!

hope that helps...
Reply 9133
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forims and I'm not understanding them fantastically... I thought this was the most appropriate thread to ask my question - if it isn't, I apologise!

I'm about to start my A-levels at a normal college in Manchester and what I wanted to ask was whether or not my work experience/extra curricular/volunteering experiences (both past, ongoing and planned) are sufficient for a chance of getting looked at by a medical school.

First of all; I have always had the importance of volunteering stressed to me so from the age of 16 (almost a year now) I have been volunteering more or less weekly at both a care home for people with severe dementia, and a youth club for disadvantaged kids from around where I live. I am also soon becoming a weekly ward volunteer at a large hospital in manchester.
On top of that, I was lucky enough to last summer go on a volunteering trip to Tanzania where I taught English, French, helped in a nursury and helped built another building for the education centre the traditional Maasai way. Whilst I was there, I met so many new people that I managed to sort myself half a day's experience at a free clinic in Tanzania for tribes people, shadowing a British doctor there. Although its not very long at all, the things I learnt from that were lifechanging.

Since there are no doctors in my family or any that are friends of my family, I have found this quite difficult but I also (I think) have managed to secure myself a week in a GP surgery and another week in a hospital. Another thing I am quite proud of is that I think I've also secured a day shadowing a HIV consultant in a french hospital, as I'm out there quite a lot as I have friends here 5I'm there now actually)

It is my absolute dream to get into medical school and become a doctor, and the competition is so fierce, I just wanted to know if I stand a chance in that sector, or if theres anything I can improve.

If anyone replies to this, thank you so much xxx
Reply 9134
Original post by Cojo23
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forims and I'm not understanding them fantastically... I thought this was the most appropriate thread to ask my question - if it isn't, I apologise!

I'm about to start my A-levels at a normal college in Manchester and what I wanted to ask was whether or not my work experience/extra curricular/volunteering experiences (both past, ongoing and planned) are sufficient for a chance of getting looked at by a medical school.

First of all; I have always had the importance of volunteering stressed to me so from the age of 16 (almost a year now) I have been volunteering more or less weekly at both a care home for people with severe dementia, and a youth club for disadvantaged kids from around where I live. I am also soon becoming a weekly ward volunteer at a large hospital in manchester.
On top of that, I was lucky enough to last summer go on a volunteering trip to Tanzania where I taught English, French, helped in a nursury and helped built another building for the education centre the traditional Maasai way. Whilst I was there, I met so many new people that I managed to sort myself half a day's experience at a free clinic in Tanzania for tribes people, shadowing a British doctor there. Although its not very long at all, the things I learnt from that were lifechanging.

Since there are no doctors in my family or any that are friends of my family, I have found this quite difficult but I also (I think) have managed to secure myself a week in a GP surgery and another week in a hospital. Another thing I am quite proud of is that I think I've also secured a day shadowing a HIV consultant in a french hospital, as I'm out there quite a lot as I have friends here 5I'm there now actually)

It is my absolute dream to get into medical school and become a doctor, and the competition is so fierce, I just wanted to know if I stand a chance in that sector, or if theres anything I can improve.

so many spelling mistakes in that...oh dear! better not do that on my ps...

I forgot to mention that I also coach football twice a week and train with and play for for a serious football squad twice a week, plus matches. That and other things that keep me fit for football (e.g. running, tennis) is basically my extra curricular bit!

x
Original post by Cojo23

Pretty impressive range of experiences. It's now a case of managing to reflect on them effectively and getting that across in your personal statement/future interviews. Though there's obviously a year or two left before you have to worry about that part.
Original post by Cojo23
Hi everyone

Good that I'm not in competition with you. Good record. You can see mine as well if you havent seen already? Tell me what do you think?
Ok, so I think I'm going to cancel my UKCAT and not apply this year as I still haven't started work experience yet. I'm hoping I can really nail everything over the next year and try and get a year long volunteering thing at my local hospital once a week as I think I'm starting in another couple of weeks. Ideally I'd like to apply this year because I hate the thought of a gap year, but I only realised at the beginning of this year that I don't want to do anything else but medicine. However, a few questions:
Does it matter to medicial schools if the first time I apply is after my A2 results considering generally these are reapplicants rather than first time applicants?
Ideas to fill my time during the gap year other than part time work and carrying on with volunteering? I've suffered from depression in the past and this is what makes me really worried about not applying this year; part of me wants to go to uni just for the want to go, but then there's no other degree I want to do besides medicine. What am I supposed to do to stop feeling lonely as all my other friends will be off at uni and I will probably lose contact over the year with them as they move o. With their life :frown: Plus stuff that I do and over a potential gap year doesn't lead me to create friends with people my age, and this is my main worry about taking a gap year, as I don't really get along with my family either. I don't know :angry: someone help!
Original post by NatashaxMay
Ok, so I think I'm going to cancel my UKCAT and not apply this year as I still haven't started work experience yet. I'm hoping I can really nail everything over the next year and try and get a year long volunteering thing at my local hospital once a week as I think I'm starting in another couple of weeks. Ideally I'd like to apply this year because I hate the thought of a gap year, but I only realised at the beginning of this year that I don't want to do anything else but medicine. However, a few questions:
Does it matter to medicial schools if the first time I apply is after my A2 results considering generally these are reapplicants rather than first time applicants?
Ideas to fill my time during the gap year other than part time work and carrying on with volunteering? I've suffered from depression in the past and this is what makes me really worried about not applying this year; part of me wants to go to uni just for the want to go, but then there's no other degree I want to do besides medicine. What am I supposed to do to stop feeling lonely as all my other friends will be off at uni and I will probably lose contact over the year with them as they move o. With their life :frown: Plus stuff that I do and over a potential gap year doesn't lead me to create friends with people my age, and this is my main worry about taking a gap year, as I don't really get along with my family either. I don't know :angry: someone help!

Nope. Applying after a gap year is fine. Some uni's like it some might not but it should impact you if you apply carefully.

Why don't you just try and apply? Surely you have some experiences of medicine? If you don't get in then you can try again next year (which is also fine!!) But I am sure if you're that sure about medicine that you might have enough experiences to write about in a ps etc :smile:
Reply 9139
2- A's
4- B's
6- C's

Latest

Trending

Trending