The Student Room Group

So, you DIDN'T get into medical school...

I'm writing this thread as a sort of flipside to my other one now that offers and the unfortunately inevitable rejections will begin arriving. I am hesitant to call this advice but, well, it's my experience of the situation, let's say that.

First up: I will qualify my comments by stating from the outset, that I myself was totally rejected in the first time around- I am talking zero offers for even a single interview. Not a single one. So I totally get what it is like to know rejection, I really do.

So I know exactly what it feels like. I was totally crushed and it seemed grossly unfair at the time. All of my peers were going on to their respective University courses and I felt as if I was going to be 'left behind'. I don't feel embarrassed to say that I raged at myself and probably at the world in general. I felt pretty depressed and despondent and I couldn't believe that the college course I had absolutely worked so hard for from day 1 and sustained for an entire academic year to achieve the absolute maximum grades possible had all apparently been done for nothing.

Anyway, that is enough of that. What matters is what I did after this.

After a time- probably a month- of introspection and much soul searching, I stopped being angry and began to try to 'own' my failure. I began to look at why I had failed and how I would fix it. I reasoned that in another year I would be a bit older, a bit wiser and know what to expect. I'd be forewarned and be better equipped to make an another attempt. And in the meantime, I took on another rather more challenging healthcare job which turned out to be by far the best job I have ever had to date and my experiences there really helped shape me as a person and I truly believe made me a better applicant as well.

So for those of you who unfortunately get the same result that I had the first time around. Don't be too hard on yourself. It is ok to be angry, in fact I would argue that is more useful that despair. Instead, try to turn it around and into something productive. You've got a year to go travelling, a year to hit the gym and shape yourself in mind and body, a year to learn an anatomy anki deck, a year to learn to drive, another year to learn more about medicine for the interviews, a year to earn money ready for Uni (very handy for the wild first year you have in mind), a year to gain some very useful experience of the clinical environment (get a bank HCA job, trust me on this: you will learn a lot of things at a very accelerated rate) and what is more you will have greater insight and maturity when you get into school in the next application cycle. All of this is going to:

-Improve your performance at medical school
-Foster personal resilience which is so important at school and beyond
-Make you a better person
-Make you a better clinician by the end of it

And it is this final point that really actually matters. Not the fact you're graduating one or more years behind a person you went to school with. You're running your own race with the aim of becoming a doctor. The more experiences that you build into that process of growth, the better that end result will be.

I can tell you now -honestly- I am actually glad I was rejected the first time around. I'm actually glad I had to retake my first year. If these events hadn't happened, I would have missed out on basically near 24 months of some serious self improvement.

One last thing:

So many posts on this forum seem to be based on concerns surrounding age and numbers and worrying about starting Uni at age 22 or similar. It pains me to see it because I don't want (in particular, young) people to even percieve any kind of limitation on their potential being placed on them due to their age or when they started Uni. Life is far more than a neat little process revolving around how many times you have been around the Sun and what age you graduated or got married at or if you were earning 60K per annum by the age of 30. No biological process I am aware of relies solely on neatly calculated integers as a way of measuring time. A tree doesn't give up on life at the age of 30. A flower doesn't decide to grow when the soil temperature is exactly 7.8 degrees. Neither do you. You have time on your side- don't place artificial constraints on yourself.

PS If you want to read some motivational material, I'd recommend reading about a man called David Goggins.

Take care. Feel free to post rants or groans on this thread. Feel free to post your successes on it, too.

E.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Some really interesting points. Thank you for taking the time to post this. Good luck with your future career.

One of the main bits for me is that even if unsuccessful in your first round of medicine applications, and it feels like the end of all hope, it really isn't. So many people go on and get in the second or third time around, and do some amazing stuff in their unexpected gap year too.

Some of their stories are here, and are worth a read if anyone needs some inspiration to push on. Don't forget to click on the spoilers.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7209108
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ErasistratusV
I'm writing this thread as a sort of flipside to my other one now that offers and the unfortunately inevitable rejections will begin arriving. I am hesitant to call this advice but, well, it's my experience of the situation, let's say that.

First up: I will qualify my comments by stating from the outset, that I myself was totally rejected in the first time around- I am talking zero offers for even a single interview. Not a single one. So I totally get what it is like to know rejection, I really do.

So I know exactly what it feels like. I was totally crushed and it seemed grossly unfair at the time. All of my peers were going on to their respective University courses and I felt as if I was going to be 'left behind'. I don't feel embarrassed to say that I raged at myself and probably at the world in general. I felt pretty depressed and despondent and I couldn't believe that the college course I had absolutely worked so hard for from day 1 and sustained for an entire academic year to achieve the absolute maximum grades possible had all apparently been done for nothing.

After a time- probably a month- of introspection and much soul searching, I stopped being angry and began to try to 'own' my failure. I began to look at why I had failed and how I would fix it. I reasoned that in another year I would be a bit older, a bit wiser and know what to expect. I'd be forewarned and be better equipped to make an another attempt. And in the meantime, I took on another rather more challenging healthcare job which turned out to be by far the best job I have ever had to date and my experiences there really helped shape me as a person and I truly believe made me a better applicant as well.

So for those of you who unfortunately get the same result that I had the first time around. Don't be too hard on yourself. It is ok to be angry, in fact I would argue that is more useful that despair. Instead, try to turn it around and into something productive. You've got a year to go travelling, a year to hit the gym and shape yourself in mind and body, a year to learn an anatomy anki deck, a year to learn to drive, another year to learn more about medicine for the interviews, a year to earn money ready for Uni (very handy for the wild first year you have in mind), a year to gain some very useful experience of the clinical environment (get a bank HCA job, trust me on this: you will learn a lot of things at a very accelerated rate) and what is more you will have greater insight and maturity when you get into school in the next application cycle. All of this is going to:

And it is this final point that really actually matters. Not the fact you're graduating one or more years behind a person you went to school with. You're running your own race with the aim of becoming a doctor. The more experiences that you build into that process of growth, the better that end result will be.

I can tell you now -honestly- I am actually glad I was rejected the first time around. I'm actually glad I had to retake my first year. If these events hadn't happened, I would have missed out on basically near 24 months of some serious self improvement.

One last thing:

So many posts on this forum seem to be based on concerns surrounding age and numbers and worrying about starting Uni at age 22 or similar. It pains me to see it because I don't want (in particular, young) people to even percieve any kind of limitation on their potential being placed on them due to their age or when they started Uni. Life is far more than a neat little process revolving around how many times you have been around the Sun and what age you graduated or got married at or if you were earning 60K per annum by the age of 30. No biological process I am aware of relies solely on neatly calculated integers as a way of measuring time. A tree doesn't give up on life at the age of 30. A flower doesn't decide to grow when the soil temperature is exactly 7.8 degrees. Neither do you. You have time on your side- don't place artificial constraints on yourself.

PS If you want to read some motivational material, I'd recommend reading about a man called David Goggins.

Take care. Feel free to post rants or groans on this thread. Feel free to post your successes on it, too.

E.

This is a fantastic post. So motivational to the many that will be in the position you were in. Thank you x
Original post by Wilf2
This is a fantastic post. So motivational to the many that will be in the position you were in. Thank you x

No problem at all. I just hope it is useful to someone somehow.
Reply 5
One last thing:
E.

Just read you post.
Everyone seems to talk about not getting in first time round but not second.
I’m not med but dent.
Last year got four post interview rejections.
This year got 3 interviews and so far been rejected by two. Still on hold at Bristol.
I thought I had done everything I could to improve my application.
Got a job dental nursing. Did some more volunteering. Practiced my interview techniques.
Got my grades.
I am lost. Not sure what else I could have done and still I hold no offers.
Thanks for your post by the way.
Having worked in Medicine Admissions for numerous years can I echo the 'try again' advice.

Nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school, and for a vocational professional course/career like Medicine, another year of self-development can often make the critical difference. It can impact your choice of Med Schools, the 'tone' of your Personal Statement, your preparation for aptitude tests, and certainly your performance at Interview.

I have even encountered students who succeeded at their third attempt. They kept going because they wanted it badly enough and not just stubbornly battering their head against the door, but doing everything they could for 'self-improvement' to help their application and themselves, to give themselves the best chance of that door being opened next year. Some of this was simply realising that they were not mature enough at 18 and needed more life-experience - a longer view than many school levers are prepared to imagine.

Its a longer journey for many more people than you might imagine.
And that doesn't matter.

If anything, it make you a more realistic adult, and a more reflective and honest person. Does this make you a better doctor in the end, who knows - but it certainly makes a more resourceful, and valuable, person, to the other people you meet along the way.
Original post by Joa71Mcn
Just read you post.
Everyone seems to talk about not getting in first time round but not second.
I’m not med but dent.
Last year got four post interview rejections.
This year got 3 interviews and so far been rejected by two. Still on hold at Bristol.
I thought I had done everything I could to improve my application.
Got a job dental nursing. Did some more volunteering. Practiced my interview techniques.
Got my grades.
I am lost. Not sure what else I could have done and still I hold no offers.
Thanks for your post by the way.

If you are going through hell- keep going. I know someone who was successful on their fourth attempt to medicine. You are getting interviews so you can do this. The first time around for med I had zero interviews.
If you are going through hell- keep going. I know someone who was successful on their fourth attempt to medicine. You are getting interviews so you can do this. The first time around for med I had zero interviews.

Thanks for all the advice.
Just unsure what to do to improve my application if I try again (not that I’m saying there isn’t room for improvement). Any suggestions would be really welcome. Thanks
Just unsure what to do to improve my application if I try again (not that I’m saying there isn’t room for improvement). Any suggestions would be really welcome. Thanks

Do you have feedback from your rejections?
Original post by McGinger
Do you have feedback from your rejections?

Last year common seemed to be communication skills so worked on those this year.
So far only Sheffield has got and said career exploration ( been a dental nursing in my gap year!)
Newcastle not got back to me yet.

What are your plans for the coming year if you have no offers? Are you taking a gap year or have other plans?

If you are getting the interviews, then you can relax a bit because you know you are getting the grades/UCAT scores needed, it might just be your interview technique that needs improving. Do you fancy taking any part time healthcare work?
Thanks. Not sure yet.
Thought I had improved my interview skills from last year’s rejections. Did lots of prep.
How would you suggest I improve further?
Thanks. Not sure yet.
Thought I had improved my interview skills from last year’s rejections. Did lots of prep.
How would you suggest I improve further?

Just keep doing interview practice, reading topical health issues and magazines also might help. Also keep up with any of the latest medical developments that might interest you etc.
I honestly cannot recommend enough that people at least try their hand at healthcare in HCA or similar work. Yes, it can be tough and can be difficult, boring or unpleasant at times, but you will be in the clinical environment and you will learn so much passively it will change you as a person and put you on the path to being the clinician you really want to be.

I suppose some people might try it and find they don't think healthcare is for them, would you sooner learn that now or after spending £9250 on your first year?

Hospitals and other clinical environments can be an imposing place to enter and work. Exposure to these environments early on will accelerate your development in the clinical years of your course and greatly bolster your interview performance because you will have real life experiences to discuss- just so long as you take time to reflect and learn from these of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending