The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Apologies if a similar thread has already been made, and apologies to DancinBallerina for stealing her great thread idea!

I thought it might be helpful to all share in our despair (or pleasure?!) with dissertations. :smile:

I'm snowed under with reading at the moment. Got a preliminary meeting with my supervisor on Friday, hopefully I'll get some useful advice on the structure of the study, since I'm a little bit stuck on that aspect! I barged in thinking I'd write a dissertation on the Faroe Islands - they might be a small nation, but there's a hell of a lot to say about them. :eek:

So yes. Let's go!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aaaa thanks for this thread..I am going to need it. This is one thing I am panicking about
Reply 2
A friend of mine said that when you write ur dissertation it has to be something that NOBODY has done before and totally ORIGINAL :eek: :eek: is that true?
Reply 3
G_S
A friend of mine said that when you write ur dissertation it has to be something that NOBODY has done before and totally ORIGINAL :eek: :eek: is that true?

Might depend on the course, but I think it doesn't matter if someone has done it before, but totally original work, yes?

When I did my dissertation [Civil Engineering], we were given a big list of projects (1 paragraph briefs on each). From this, we basically chose which one we wanted to do.

My dissertation involved Flood Hydrology, and during the year, I found out that the CEH had already released an official governmental report of basically my dissertation. Talked to my supervisor, and had to work around it more or less. Got a high 2:1 for my project after many hiccups [stupid government and their data protection act]. Loved the fact that my conclusion basically said more research and data was required :woo:. I bet some poor sucker this year will have to carry my dissertation topic on :biggrin:

Good Luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm doing mine on the social history of Ancinet Rome - living conditions, sanitation etc etc. I told my supervisor what I wanted to do and she said it sounds good so far, so...

I'm dreading writing it though. 10,000 words isn't much it basically has to be the best thing I've ever written. Pressure.
Reply 5
Of course your dissertation doesn't have to be an original piece of research. Only PhD students are required to make an original contribution to their subject. However, it will have to be well researched and must demonstrate a solid understanding of the relevant area.
Reply 6
Mine is about the importance of alcohol as a part of student identities. This is a questionnaire I made a while ago http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27538607#post27538607 If you're procrastinating and don't mind wasting 10 minutes of your time helping me out it would be greatly appreciated! I promise to return the favour if you need it!

I'm in the research phase...which should have been done over summer but hey ho time schedules never go to plan! eeek. I'm kind of analysing as I write transcripts etc up. My golly gosh it isn't half a (metaphorical) ball ache!!
Hi I know i'm only second year but when was you told to start researching, getting the literature needed?

I've got such a full timetable this semester tuesday-friday 9-4 and next full week 9-4 easy with the extra work.

I'm hoping to be doing work in the field and possibly doing something in conservation, microbiology or enviromental protection work.

I'm thinking of doing my disseration in invertebrate work or in microbiology. My first idea has gone out the window which was to monitor pollution and how it affects invertebrate populations in a controlled area which the university owns, had to scrap as i wouldnt of had a control and also had no way of monitoring traffic on a safe way.
I'm doing my dissertation on discrimination towards religious minorities in Mexico, given the country itself is predominantly Catholic; and indeed, has the second highest amount of Catholics in it in the world (after Brazil). It's a little bit shorter than the standard dissertation, about 5,000-6,000 words; but it's got to be in Spanish. :p:
Reply 9
jonnythemoose
I'm doing my dissertation on discrimination towards religious minorities in Mexico, given the country itself is predominantly Catholic; and indeed, has the second highest amount of Catholics in it in the world (after Brazil). It's a little bit shorter than the standard dissertation, about 5,000-6,000 words; but it's got to be in Spanish. :p:

That sounds really interesting, actually! Good luck with it!
Reply 10
I loved my dissertation! I miss it :frown:
Reply 11
L3mon
Might depend on the course, but I think it doesn't matter if someone has done it before, but totally original work, yes?

When I did my dissertation [Civil Engineering], we were given a big list of projects (1 paragraph briefs on each). From this, we basically chose which one we wanted to do.

My dissertation involved Flood Hydrology, and during the year, I found out that the CEH had already released an official governmental report of basically my dissertation. Talked to my supervisor, and had to work around it more or less. Got a high 2:1 for my project after many hiccups [stupid government and their data protection act]. Loved the fact that my conclusion basically said more research and data was required :woo:. I bet some poor sucker this year will have to carry my dissertation topic on :biggrin:

Good Luck.

Thanks. I hope we are given a list of topics:smile: Would make life soo much easier
Reply 12
Sapphire_Eyes
Hi I know i'm only second year but when was you told to start researching, getting the literature needed?

If you're just starting your second year then you definitely don't need to worry about it just yet! It's great that you have ideas though, but don't stress over it. We had a module in the second semester of second year which was aimed at getting us to think about topics, researching current literature and writing our dissertation proposals...so you have a bit of time yet before you need to start worrying!

Saying that, some people I know had ideas in the first semester, and they got in touch with lecturers that work in that area of research, just to propose their ideas etc. so you can probably do that. I'm sure they would never turn you away if you wanted to discuss it :smile:
Ooh, an amazing threat idea!!! I think I may need this thread if I am to survive my dissertation! Seeing as I'm doing anthropology we are pretty much allowed to pick anything that we wanted, regardless of how weird and wonderful it may be.
I'm doing nationalism and identity in former Yugoslavia, which needs to be narrowed down MASSIVELY. Although it got the approval by my tutor at the end of last year so that's a relief.

And I have so much reading to do!! The annoying thing is that after two years of exam-based modules, my third year is basically just project work. So no slacking for most of the year, unfortunately.

I got a first in the module last year that was basically a 'practice dissertation', so there is some hope for me, although I'm still pessimistic!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Formerly LieDown

I got a first in the module last year that was basically a 'practice dissertation', so there is some hope for me, although I'm still pessimistic!

Yeah, I had something similar last year. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped for at the beginning of the module, but I know where I went wrong, so fingers crossed this time round!
I am having a battle with my dissertation already! 10,000 words on insanity and it's affect on social status in Victorian Britain. I am finding the research aspect incredibly difficult and my tutor was rather unhelpful. He just kept saying "be original".

Will no doubt be on this thread a lot as time rattles on! Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
doodle7
If you're just starting your second year then you definitely don't need to worry about it just yet! It's great that you have ideas though, but don't stress over it. We had a module in the second semester of second year which was aimed at getting us to think about topics, researching current literature and writing our dissertation proposals...so you have a bit of time yet before you need to start worrying!

Saying that, some people I know had ideas in the first semester, and they got in touch with lecturers that work in that area of research, just to propose their ideas etc. so you can probably do that. I'm sure they would never turn you away if you wanted to discuss it :smile:

Thanks for that. Yeah I want to get a couple of good ideas down now since i'll be really busy second semester so i need to get my ideas down and find the literate now, it's just a matter of what can i do given my time resources would be roughly 2-3weeks in the labs and doing a huge chunk of it over hols.

Also apparently its better to have the proposal down during the summer and do be what i can over the hols so that the pressure is off me for yr3.

BTW off topic but i've done the questionairre for you :biggrin:
Fjarskafinn
Yeah, I had something similar last year. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped for at the beginning of the module, but I know where I went wrong, so fingers crossed this time round!

I think having the opportunity to have a sort of 'practice' is a great benefit, gives you some idea as to what you need to do better next time!
Reply 18
omggg you guys know what your doing!!...loool i'm clueless start uni 2moro so hopefully i'll get a better idea lol
I'm not at uni yet, so I have a question on dissertations. Is like your entire final year based around the dissertation? Or is it a seperate research project you do outside of lectures?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending