The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rob16
I usually just tell them I hope the club can grow to match ambition or something. Makes little sense but usually works for me

Hmm he seems pretty set on leaving. It's not as if he's too good to play for me either :/ Might as well cash in depending on summer transfer budget. He's only got a year on his contract anyway.
4th season (2nd in the PL) with MK Dons is going very nicely. United ended up having a horrible second half to the season, practically handing me the title and I won it with 6 games to spare. Knocked out of the FA cup in the 5th round by Wolves. Retained the League Cup and I beat Porto in the CL QFs on penalties to set up a SF game with Benfica (who beat Madrid).

Arsenal are into the FA Cup Final, which according to the media is "unfamiliar territory" (see picture attached). Couldn't help laughing when I read that.
Ciaran Clark. One of my 3 first choice CB's, has apparently achieved all he can at a Villa side who are brinking on the top 4 and will move to...

Toulouse or Celtic >.<

-

Messi is going out of contract at Barca. Surely moving to Man City? >.<
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9923
my Wonderkid Regen, Jan Hajek, has just scored his 100th goal for the club in all comps, 5 days before his 22nd birthday :u:
Mourinho is now City manager in my game. First thing he did was bid for Ozil, so I matched the bid and he chose Utd over City. :smug:

Squad: DDG, Gollini, Wilcox [RB], Evans, Vidic, Smalling, Jones, Seger [CB], Fabio, Adam
, Alba, M'Vila, Fletcher, Verratti, Cleverley, Kovacic, Canales, Kaka, Kagawa, Ozil, Hazard, Reyes [W L/R], Federov [W L/R], Rooney, Welbeck, Pozillia [Regen ST].

Decent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9925

Two vital away goals there! :h: :colonhash:
Reply 9927
Original post by boumavilla
Two vital away goals there! :h: :colonhash:

Got beat 6-0 :/

Nah, lost 2-1. First Champions League final here I come!

Did I tell you McLeish is on his walkabouts again? Ended up at Everton now, no surprise that their just 2 points above the relegation places :lol:

Oh great, now my team has 5 games in 8 ****ing days. Including Utd, Spurs at Anfield and a derby at Goodison.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just completed my 5th season with Napoli in my network game. Won the title with 99 points, Juventus were 2nd on 99 points as well (the H2H record was 3-1 to me at the San Paolo, 2-1 to Juve at the Juventus Stadium). :teehee:

Cavani top scored with 91 this season, 64 in the league, 22 in the CL and he won the Ballon d'Or, Serie A, Super Coppa, Coppa Italia and was a runner up in the CL. :sexface:

The match of the season was beating Barca 9-2 in the CL semi second leg. Hamsik got 3, Cavani 5 and Greizmann 1. :coma:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Yoghurt
Steven Gerrard is now 35 in my game but still playing so so well! He can't really play 2 games a week anymore, but so far he's played 10 games and scored 10 goals in the Premier League.

Wish he'd agree to drop his wages though :/ Still on £125k a week, him and Suarez are the only 2 in my squad with £100k+ contracts.

I've managed to get him to take a wage cut every season :confused: He's only on 35.5K p/w. How is Coates coming on for you? I've found him to be a beast at set pieces. I've let Robinson come in for Enrique (£21 mill to AC- my best sale) and he's great, Flanagen not so much. Did you manage to get rid of the overpaid dead wood quickly?

Just interested as we are both playing with Liverpool and at the same stage :colondollar:
Reply 9930
Original post by Aramiss18
I've managed to get him to take a wage cut every season :confused: He's only on 35.5K p/w. How is Coates coming on for you? I've found him to be a beast at set pieces. I've let Robinson come in for Enrique (£21 mill to AC- my best sale) and he's great, Flanagen not so much. Did you manage to get rid of the overpaid dead wood quickly?

Just interested as we are both playing with Liverpool and at the same stage :colondollar:

Yeah Coates is quality, still behind Skrtel and Agger in the pecking order though. Robinson is coming along nicely, but I brought in a couple of brilliant regens, so I don't think he'll ever become my no.1 LB.

I've managed to bring Gerrard's contract a little bit, but he's still on 80k. But I'm not too worried as my overall wage bill is tiny considering my team is European champions.

Yeah all the deadwood is gone now so I have a trim squad with a mixture of quality experienced players and a lot of youth.

Only way I could get rid of Carroll and Downing though was by terminating their contracts, no one would take them for free!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Potato
Reply 9931
Original post by Leelad
Did I tell you McLeish is on his walkabouts again? Ended up at Everton now, no surprise that their just 2 points above the relegation places :lol:
McLeish and Villas-Boas are both utterly useless, and both seem determined to ruin as many clubs as they possibly can (at least in the case of McLeish, this applies to real life as well as in-game, so the game accurately reflects his crappiness :biggrin:). People here were encouraging others to take a peek at Villas-Boas's career history where they'll usually see that he jumps from club to club every season or two. Odds are that if you look at McLeish's history, he'll be much the same.

There was one save I had a few months ago where I'd noted this:
:lol: Nice to see that Alex McLeish has been coded correctly as he tries his hardest to destroy as many football clubs in the English leagues as he can...and Villas-Boas is getting involved as well :p: McLeish got sacked by Aston Villa in November 2011 and AVB took charge in his place. A month later, Owen Coyle got sacked by Bolton and McLeish got the job. Both Villa and Bolton got relegated, and both are struggling in the Championship (Villa are down in 18th, just a few places above the relegation zone). So that's Birmingham, Aston Villa and Bolton that McLeish has helped on the way to relegation from the Premiership, with the latter two impressively being done in the same season...who's next on his hitlist? What Prem team would be stupid enough to offer him a contract when his CV is that horrific? :biggrin:
Reply 9932
Villas Boas
Chelsea - 2011
Fiorentina - 2011 to 2012
Everton - 2013 to 2014
Tottenham - 2014 to 2015
Real Madrid - 2015 to 2018
Arsenal - 2018 to 2019
Inter - 2019 to present (2020)
Just about to start summer 2019 in my save.

I'm pretty happy with my squad - managed to trim it down so it's not overly huge. Think I just need one squad player who can play a number of attacking positions (currently have Borini who can play AML, AMR and ST - so just need another player like him on the cheap). Otherwise I don't think I need any purchases.

Think I should trim my defence a little - I have 8 fullbacks and 5 CBs :colondollar: (though 4 have been on loan this season) I have 3 amazing CBs and then Vertonghen and a regen (who's not as highly rated but can play CB/DL/DR so not sure if I should ditch Vertonghen and just play with 4 CBs. Maybe I'll try and find another star CB since Kompany will retire in a few seasons.
Need my loan players to come back so I can assess which fullbacks to keep - my favourite is a fullback who's equally brilliant at LB and RB and is highly rated :biggrin:

I do however need to sort out my staff. Too many of them have been at the club too long so they're all on like 10k wages and want 14-20k :facepalm: Even scouts! Going to let about 10 of them go - which will shave 70k pw off the bill and I bet I can find replacements for like 20k..
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm managing Liverpool and it's March 2016.

Looked at AVB's history and he's not been such a slut on my game. Took over Newcastle in late-2011 and was there until 2014. First he avoided relegation then stabilised with 2 mid-table finishes. He then moved to Villa and moved them ca. 8 places to 6th!! He's doing **** this season though.

Original post by Dalimyr
Odds are that if you look at McLeish's history, he'll be much the same.

Hehe McLeish has managed back-to-back relegations on my save. Bolton then Reading. He's now given up the ghost and is Scottish under-21 manager.
Original post by Yoghurt
Yeah Coates is quality, still behind Skrtel and Agger in the pecking order though. Robinson is coming along nicely, but I brought in a couple of brilliant regens, so I don't think he'll ever become my no.1 LB.

I've managed to bring Gerrard's contract a little bit, but he's still on 80k. But I'm not too worried as my overall wage bill is tiny considering my team is European champions.

Yeah all the deadwood is gone now so I have a trim squad with a mixture of quality experienced players and a lot of youth.

Only way I could get rid of Carroll and Downing though was by terminating their contracts, no one would take them for free!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Potato

Agger didn't set the world alight for me and I sold him to AVB at Newcastle. Skrtel is a boss. Have a look and see how Kurt Zouma is doing- massively recommend him!

Haha yeh Adam, Carroll, Downing and Henderson were so hard to get rid of. I had to pay a chunk of their wages to get them to accept a move to a lower club. The Liverpool game is great though as you have to completely gut the first team and sculpt a side. Suarez is just a God. :coma:
I've kept Carroll and Henderson... Henderson being a regular starter for me..... an absolute tank as a DLP or AP; creates the most assists for my team.. even more than Hazard :eek: Carroll; I use him as a battering ram against lower down the table teams... works well, he's scored 15+ every season :biggrin:

Finally got rid of Downing for £6.5 mill; still paying about 20k a week of his wages... but it shaved 60k of my wage budget :colondollar:

Can anybody recommend a left sided midfielder who's decent at playing as a defensive winger? One of my secondary tactics is 3-1-4-2; defensive wingers are the key.... I did play Downing there a bit... he was shocking :tongue:
A change back to 4-5-1, but a more offensive variant with both Poli and Verratti in midfield leaving Song on the bench, has caused a massive increase in form. 37 games played, 95 points and champions, get one more point from my last game and its an improvement on last season! Scored less this season but also conceded a lot less. In the CL final against United. The semis were against Bayern, a 0-0 draw at the Allianz before I scored 4 on them in the first half at the Emirates, subbed off Cavani and switched to contain.

In terms of player development, got Wilshere to slide in less and then replaced that with the killer ball PPM. Taught that to Poli, who is now learning to dictate play, and Verratti who is still learning. After that I'll be teaching the latter two to play one-twos. Got a few regens tied up, and got the 28m deal for Muniain done.

Still got one PL game before it, but already ****ting it for the final :s
Reply 9938
Original post by Aramiss18

I sold Enrique to Inter for £20 million :biggrin: Probably my best sale too.

Flanagan just pisses me off tbh, the amount of yellow cards he picks up is just :facepalm2:

I sold Agger in my first season for £21 million, which allowed me to buy Seydou Doumbia. Coates and Skrtel work well together and you have Carra for cover, if you want then you can sign someone on loan as 4th choice which is what I did.
I cannot stand Man City on this game. Aguero is just too good. Players scoring 50+ league goals is just plain ****ing stupid.

Latest