The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Medicine Review

I'm currently deciding between Manchester and Newcastle for medicine. I went to the offer holder day from Newcastle and it seemed quite nice, Manchester doesnt have one so I thought I would ask for some opinions. There's a few posts from 8-10 years ago saying Manchester is really bad for medicine and a bit of a laughing stock, I was wondering if that was still the case or if the course has improved since then. Are there any current students that could help me out
Original post by h.dav
I'm currently deciding between Manchester and Newcastle for medicine. I went to the offer holder day from Newcastle and it seemed quite nice, Manchester doesnt have one so I thought I would ask for some opinions. There's a few posts from 8-10 years ago saying Manchester is really bad for medicine and a bit of a laughing stock, I was wondering if that was still the case or if the course has improved since then. Are there any current students that could help me out

Hi there.

All UK med school degrees are "equal" and viewed in the same way so don't worry. Perhaps research the teaching styles of the unis and student satisfaction ratings with the course which could help yo to make a decision :smile:

Best wishes.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by h.dav

I have the same question as well
Original post by Anonymous
I have the same question as well

I am a current 1st Yr Med at UOM. Medicine is a tough course wherever you go and will be taught differently.

In Manchester, it is pretty diverse, with about 500 students per year. The content and support are really good and we don't have a lot of contact hours (about 5-7 per week) as we have 2 PBL sessions (Mon-Fri), consultation skills and dissection/anatomy. We have a reading week/week off every 3d week which I haven't heard being done at a lot of med schools. Most of your time will be spent studying, doing lectures/anatomy and completing the PBL. If you have good time management you will still have plenty of time for hobbies/societies. The medical societies are also very diverse, I would recommend going to the Manchester Student Union and having a look at the societies/clubs that are offered. Whatever speciality or sport you like, it will be there and there will be a medical football/rugby/netball society.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I will do my best to reply
hi
Original post by atmospherity
I am a current 1st Yr Med at UOM. Medicine is a tough course wherever you go and will be taught differently.

In Manchester, it is pretty diverse, with about 500 students per year. The content and support are really good and we don't have a lot of contact hours (about 5-7 per week) as we have 2 PBL sessions (Mon-Fri), consultation skills and dissection/anatomy. We have a reading week/week off every 3d week which I haven't heard being done at a lot of med schools. Most of your time will be spent studying, doing lectures/anatomy and completing the PBL. If you have good time management you will still have plenty of time for hobbies/societies. The medical societies are also very diverse, I would recommend going to the Manchester Student Union and having a look at the societies/clubs that are offered. Whatever speciality or sport you like, it will be there and there will be a medical football/rugby/netball society.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I will do my best to reply

Hi, I was wondering what you consider the benefits/downsides of lower contact hours, and what type of student you think is well suited to this teaching/learning style. I'd also appreciate hearing a little about what societies/social stuff you've got involved with and how you found meeting and getting to know people. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending