Oh I see you now. I don't really get many chances to wear a tie =/
Reply 2141
Original post by Luxray
Oh I see you now. I don't really get many chances to wear a tie =/

Why? Because you don't want to? :wink:
Reply 2142
Original post by Tom_Sg
Why? Because you don't want to? :wink:

I'd look overdressed if I went to a lecture in a tie, even if its a knitted one.
Reply 2144
I wish I was in London right now, it's Graduate Fashion Week and tickets are still available. I wouldn't mind buying a ticket but I would mind buying a train ticket to get there because prices are pretty extortionate if you don't buy the train tickets well in advance.
Reply 2145
Actually there is a rumor about a collaboration .... MMM x HM :'( it's hard.

Also YSL will not show its 2013 collection to the press but only for some "buyers" around the world.

I'm going to write an article on both topic anyway. :biggrin:
Just started a blog - Nails and Nibbles!

It's going to feature the ABCs of my life; Art, Beauty and Cookery! First post is up, it's on the free Ciate polish you can get this month in Marie Claire and how I did my nails with it. Envisioning about 3 posts a week, one on each of the afore mentioned topics. I'd love feedback on the concept and what you think of my first post :smile:

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/
Reply 2147
Well, I'll be checking out a lot of the blogs here every so often :p: I am setting up an online business selling womens clothes after all :laugh: So getting the views of part of my demographic should be helpful to some extent :smile:
Reply 2148
Original post by Revent
Well, I'll be checking out a lot of the blogs here every so often :p: I am setting up an online business selling womens clothes after all :laugh: So getting the views of part of my demographic should be helpful to some extent :smile:

Wow thats a big challenge, I have a friend at uni and her husband has set up a clothes business its done pretty well so far but he hasn't had a day off in years.
Can you tell me more about yours? I've always liked the idea of having my own womens and menswear line.
Reply 2149
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Just started a blog - Nails and Nibbles!

It's going to feature the ABCs of my life; Art, Beauty and Cookery! First post is up, it's on the free Ciate polish you can get this month in Marie Claire and how I did my nails with it. Envisioning about 3 posts a week, one on each of the afore mentioned topics. I'd love feedback on the concept and what you think of my first post :smile:

http://nails-and-nibbles.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm going to offer my honest and rather harsh opinion but you can ignore it all if you want, I wont be offended lol.

I like that you will explore the three things.. I think since your blog is catered for women primarily I think you can afford to spend a bit more time on changing the header/banner and making it look more editorial almost. The font right now looks a little stretched? Something like this looks sweet: http://www.fontspace.com/blue-vinyl/print-clearly

I think having colour as your background is fine but perhaps you could keep the main body part white or more lighter/muted colour?

I do like that you have gone into detail about the product. On the other hand I think its unnecessary for you to put your website address on each picture.
Lastly, there is no clear link to go back to your homepage.

I hope you don't feel disheartened by my comments, I think blogging is quite therapeutic so if you are fine with the way your blog is then at the end of the day thats all that matters.
Original post by Luxray
I'm going to offer my honest and rather harsh opinion but you can ignore it all if you want, I wont be offended lol.

I like that you will explore the three things.. I think since your blog is catered for women primarily I think you can afford to spend a bit more time on changing the header/banner and making it look more editorial almost. The font right now looks a little stretched? Something like this looks sweet: http://www.fontspace.com/blue-vinyl/print-clearly

I think having colour as your background is fine but perhaps you could keep the main body part white or more lighter/muted colour?

I do like that you have gone into detail about the product. On the other hand I think its unnecessary for you to put your website address on each picture.
Lastly, there is no clear link to go back to your homepage.

I hope you don't feel disheartened by my comments, I think blogging is quite therapeutic so if you are fine with the way your blog is then at the end of the day thats all that matters.

All really appreciated, thanks :smile: I'm working my way around the new blogger interface and as soon as I figure it out, I'll upload a better background and header (I make my own on Paintshop). To be honest I just put them on to make it look more professional, I think you're right that no-one'll be tempted to steal them but :colondollar: hehe! I do want to tweak, I will probably spend tonight just playing with it :smile:
Reply 2151
Original post by Luxray
Wow thats a big challenge, I have a friend at uni and her husband has set up a clothes business its done pretty well so far but he hasn't had a day off in years.
Can you tell me more about yours? I've always liked the idea of having my own womens and menswear line.

Hi,
You are definitely right about it being a big challenge! I'm actually on a gap year before hopefully starting university and plan to get this started up straight after my exams. It will require a lot of commitment and I will have to balance it with a full time job I have. I haven't actually started yet; I am still in the developmental stages of everything, but I should have it up and running within two months hopefully. I have been saving up so I could have a reasonable initial investment so looking forward to starting. It's not my own line actually. I'm planning more on buying wholesale and selling at retail. Manufacturing my own clothesline, however is in the long term plan and will require a large sum of money. I've planned a trip to China this summer to go to the Canton fair which should be relatively interesting. It may interest you by the way, so do check it out. :smile:
Reply 2152
Original post by Revent
Hi,
You are definitely right about it being a big challenge! I'm actually on a gap year before hopefully starting university and plan to get this started up straight after my exams. It will require a lot of commitment and I will have to balance it with a full time job I have. I haven't actually started yet; I am still in the developmental stages of everything, but I should have it up and running within two months hopefully. I have been saving up so I could have a reasonable initial investment so looking forward to starting. It's not my own line actually. I'm planning more on buying wholesale and selling at retail. Manufacturing my own clothesline, however is in the long term plan and will require a large sum of money. I've planned a trip to China this summer to go to the Canton fair which should be relatively interesting. It may interest you by the way, so do check it out. :smile:

Yeah he does the same, he buys at wholesale and then sells at retail with his own label on the stuff. I wish you all the best but I doubt you will be able to balance a job AND run this business at the same time but good luck!
I've always been interested in doing a fashion/beauty blog but not sure where to get started? Any tips anyone?

Also, can I just ask what the point of doing one is? Also, how do you make yourself a popular blogger? As you can tell, I'm a newbie.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2154
Original post by Luxray
Yeah he does the same, he buys at wholesale and then sells at retail with his own label on the stuff. I wish you all the best but I doubt you will be able to balance a job AND run this business at the same time but good luck!

That is what I am going to do, although labelling with my own brand or company is not a part of the plan. Well, initially, it will be quite small so I'm sure I could manage this on my own with the job. However, if it does get bigger, which it hopefully will, I will have left the job by then (the job is a fixed term contract until the end of December) and I do know I will need to get someone to start working with me which I have already planned for. :smile: Thanks very much. I'll let everyone here know when I have everything up and running :p: To see if it is of their taste :laugh:
Original post by legaliseddealer
I've always been interested in doing a fashion/beauty blog but not sure where to get started? Any tips anyone?

Also, can I just ask what the point of doing one is? Also, how do you make yourself a popular blogger? As you can tell, I'm a newbie.

I no longer have my fashion blog because I have no time for it and I'm very neglectful with things like blogs; over the last 4 years I've had three fashion blogs; my first two took a while to get any views/comments, but the last one I had got quite a few followers, which was nice!

Here are some tips, though:
1) 'Personal' posts (i.e. photos of your outfits/make up looks/shopping) work best; at the end of the day, everyone's pretty nosy it's always interesting to see what other people are wearing and showing your own personal style lets people find out who you are.

2) Want visitors on your blog? Comment on as many blogs as you can, leaving your URL. So many bloggers will check out your blog and comment in return. I don't want to sound harsh, or for it to seem like I'm overgeneralising a little, but lots of people will leave comments on your blog posts saying 'Hot look!' or 'Love your style!', even if they think your style is f-ing hideous, just because they want you to check out their blogs and leave comments! This is common with newbies or just people who are crazy about having amazing stats. I eventually decided that I was sick of sucking up to people just for the sake of gaining extra followers/comments so I started only commenting meaningfully on blog posts that I actually enjoyed reading. After this, I stopped getting those sort of 'empty compliments' and getting proper compliments that I could tell were genuine. :smile:

3) Lots of people are in to the whole 'Follow me and I'll follow back' kind of thing, too, if you're really wanting to gain followers quickly.

4) To get more views, link everything to your blog. Create a Facebook page for it; tell your friends; create a blog-specific Twitter account (link to your blog on your person FB and Twitter accounts, too, but blog-specific social networking accounts work really well to attract interest to your blog)

5) Don't post too often. I found the most success by posting twice a week, sometimes three times. Posting every day is a little much, plus it's pretty time consuming.

6) Check your blog every day in order to read and reply to comments (replying to comments makes you seem like you're attentive, friendly and that you're interested in what others have to say)

7) As far as blogging platforms go, I would say choose Blogger. You have to have a Google account but it only takes a few seconds to set up if you don't have one. My first two blogs (which were, incidentally, pretty unsuccessful) were on Wordpress purely for aesthetic reasons, but I eventually discovered that Blogger is equally easy to use and most people use that platform, so it's much easier for people to follow you, find you and comment on your posts etc.

8) Create a Bloglovin account! It's free and it takes seconds.

9) Post original content. This is pretty self-explanatory because no-one wants to see someone else's content but on a different blog!

10) Get an IFB (Independent Fashion Bloggers) account. This is really good for blogging tips (why are you even reading mine when you could check their out, though, really?!!!) and tricks and, most importantly, networking! Talk to other people! When you start out you always get loads of messages from people who target the newbies (in a nice way, haha!) in which you are welcomed and urged to share your blog's URL. They have forums and groups, too, which are really good for meeting likeminded people.

11) If you want to write, don't write too much. This is what I mean about the whole outfit photos/make up looks thing: it doesn't require much text. I love to write, so this part of fashion blogging pisses me off a little, but unless you're Susie Bubble or Tavi then not many people will bother to read something really long that you've written. Sorry! Don't make the blog either too text or too picture heavy... find a balance that works with you and go with it.

12) Don't rush your posts! If it takes you 5 minutes then it ain't worth publishing!

Hope that sort of helped you. :smile: x
Reply 2156
Original post by legaliseddealer

The point is just to share with the world your opinions on things and showing others whats your sense of life and style like.
I think popularity is something that can happen over a long period of time. I started mine a few months ago but didn't do much on it so I have only got 5 people following me lol.

http://heartifb.com/ - I personally don't use this website a lot (I just wanted a nice badge to go on my sidebar of my blog lol) but for most people it does offer some great tips on how to run a blog.

I've been using blogger.com which is very easy to use and what most people start up with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2158
NEW POST!

Ever wanted to edit a magazine? ELLE are giving interns the opportunity to edit their October issue.

http://www.helenhearts.co.uk/2012/06/elle-magazine-edited-by-interns.html

Has anyone on here entered? Looks like a great opportunity!
Reply 2159

Just commented on yours. I'd love to learn more about you on your about me page. They are my favourite parts of a blog :smile:

Latest