The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I saw The Thief of Bagdad (1940) on More4 this morning. I absolutely loved it. Great acting and score. Visually it is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.
There is quite a lot wrong with the Hobbit. Sorry.
Reply 7882
Original post by Colonel.
There is quite a lot wrong with the Hobbit. Sorry.

I liked it but I haven't read the novel so have nothing to compare it to. Did you watch it in 48 frames? What did you think of it? I hated it!
Original post by aja89
I liked it but I haven't read the novel so have nothing to compare it to. Did you watch it in 48 frames? What did you think of it? I hated it!

48 fps didn't annoy me as much as I thought, though there are some bits where it's jarring how fake stuff looks. However, that's the smallest problem with the film. The pacing is awful and there's barely any characterisation. Parts of the film are just repetitive and tedious.

It's not a bad film, just overindulgent. It's a good translation, but as an adaptation, I dunno.
Reply 7884
I watched Savages today. What an incredibly flimsy film. Paper-thin characters with formulaic motivations you can spot a mile away, and a script that relies on the generic so much that the whole thing feels at times like an extended adult episode of a bad TV series. Very poor.
Life of Pi was brilliant, 9/10.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7886
Original post by Flibble22
xxxxxxx. :frown:

What the **** is wrong with you??? :angry:
Guys what do you think about Josh Radnor as a writer/director?

I just finished watching Liberal Arts, and like happythankyoumoreplease, I really enjoyed it. I think the characters were great and you could really feel them.
Reply 7888
Original post by danny111
Guys what do you think about Josh Radnor as a writer/director?

I just finished watching Liberal Arts, and like happythankyoumoreplease, I really enjoyed it. I think the characters were great and you could really feel them.

Was planning on watching it some time in the next couple of days, will get back to you then. :holmes:

Flibble22

Spoiler

Spoiler tags are awesome. :fyi:

(I.e. please edit your post for people who haven't yet seen the film :smile:)

Also, have you read the book? I didn't really like Life of Pi (the film), mainly because I thought it completely ignored some of the important nuances of the book. :beard:
Can somebody else watch The Hobbit so I have someone to bitch with?

I've seen it and read the book ;D

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7891

Hopefully watching it this weekend. :holmes:
Original post by Abiraleft
Hopefully watching it this weekend. :holmes:

24 or 48 fps?
Reply 7893
24 or 48 fps?

Actually, scrap that: just discovered that I probably won't be able to watch it. :banghead:
Watched Ted last night. Was alright.

I saw it a few days ago.

Bitch away.
Original post by cambo211
I saw it a few days ago.

Bitch away.

It's a lovingly, but poorly made film. Indulgent and sloppy. The more I think about it, the more it infuriates me.
Reply 7897

I've seen it :p:
Reply 7898
Anyone here watched The Virgin Suicides? If you have what did you think of it? Not a huge fan of films that start of by telling you how it ends but it works well here. Thought I don't understand why they would all kill themselves, especially the first one which set of the chain of events (these aren't spoilers btw). Maybe I'll skim over the book.

I just watched it and I don't really know what to think....yet. Need to sleep on it.
Reply 7899
Original post by Deshi
Anyone here watched The Virgin Suicides? If you have what did you think of it? Not a huge fan of films that start of by telling you how it ends but it works well here. Thought I don't understand why they would all kill themselves, especially the first one which set of the chain of events (these aren't spoilers btw). Maybe I'll skim over the book.

I just watched it and I don't really know what to think....yet. Need to sleep on it.

I was really in to the film and book when I was younger, thought I was a cool angsty chick. :colone:

You really need to read the book to understand the level of oppression the girls were put under by their parents after the first suicide (which is never really explained, I assume just because she was suffering from depression), a lot of detail is left out of the film and it sort of trivialises the final events because we've only really seen them get grounded a few times and taken out of school etc.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest