The Student Room Group

physic cw help!!! slingshots

I am carrying out a experiment about slingshots
basically the first thing I don't is measured the distance from the 2 nails which the elastic is tied on till the point when the stone goes. it is 12cm.
i then used a a force meter to work out how much force is required for the elastic to stretch 1cm at a time to the end 12cm.

the result was that for the elastic to stretch 12 cm a force of 12N is required, i done the same for 11,10,9...cm and then plotted a graph. the RESULT is that it positive exponential graph. THE QUESTION SHOULD IT BE? OR SHOULD IT BE A STRAIGHT LINE GRAPH???
Reply 1
f = 1/2 kx^2 for such a system, so yes I think it is correct.
Reply 2
Original post by tez.
f = 1/2 kx^2 for such a system, so yes I think it is correct.

This is potential energy.

Original post by Obeadur
I am carrying out a experiment about slingshots
basically the first thing I don't is measured the distance from the 2 nails which the elastic is tied on till the point when the stone goes. it is 12cm.
i then used a a force meter to work out how much force is required for the elastic to stretch 1cm at a time to the end 12cm.

the result was that for the elastic to stretch 12 cm a force of 12N is required, i done the same for 11,10,9...cm and then plotted a graph. the RESULT is that it positive exponential graph. THE QUESTION SHOULD IT BE? OR SHOULD IT BE A STRAIGHT LINE GRAPH???

Can you make a sketch and indicate what values you were measuring?

Quick Reply

Latest