The Student Room Group

Dropping a 4th Alevel while waiting for an offer

Im currently studing Further maths, maths, physics, computer science. Predicted A*A*A*A*.Ive applied for mechanical engineering at uni and currently waiting for an offer from imperial and UCL (Ive recieved an offer from my other 3 choices). I want to drop computer science as the workload is too much for me (especially the CW) and im starting to struggle with physics and further maths (Alevels that are required/preffered for my courses, while compsci is not). While im not bothered by imperial (I wouldnt be too upset being rejected), UCL is a university I would really like to go to and Im worried that by dropping computer science before recieving an offer, It can ruin my chances of recieving an offer. Furthermore I am also worried of recieving a 4 Alevel offer. After calling UCL admissions, I was told that it "shouldnt" effect my application, but "could" which I find vague. I am keen on dropping the subject, what should I do?

FYI the typical offer for my course is A*AA (maths/physics A*A required), (further maths is a preffered subjec to be your third, whilst compsci isnt)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
As per UCAS guidelines you should inform the universities you have applied to or have received an offer from if you want to drop a subject.
UCL will not mind at all as they base their offer on 3 A levels only. Since you are predicted the same grade across all A levels and CS is not a compulsory subject to have you will be okay dropping it but will still need to inform them.
For Imperial: It is not compulsory for you to have a 4th A level and CS is not a required subject but Imperial sometimes gives higher offers with 3 A levels. If you are confident of getting 3 A stars in the remaining subjects then go for it. If you want you can wait for your offer and then drop the fourth subject. Imperial does give out most of their offers in March. I would also like to add that lately I have seen Imperial giving 2 A stars and one A offers with 3A levels as well so it is not not given that you would get a higher offer with 3 A levels but no one can predict.
Original post by Javadhus
Im currently studing Further maths, maths, physics, computer science. Predicted A*A*A*A*.Ive applied for mechanical engineering at uni and currently waiting for an offer from imperial and UCL (Ive recieved an offer from my other 3 choices). I want to drop computer science as the workload is too much for me (especially the CW) and im starting to struggle with physics and further maths (Alevels that are required/preffered for my courses, while compsci is not). While im not bothered by imperial (I wouldnt be too upset being rejected), UCL is a university I would really like to go to and Im worried that by dropping computer science before recieving an offer, It can ruin my chances of recieving an offer. Furthermore I am also worried of recieving a 4 Alevel offer. After calling UCL admissions, I was told that it "shouldnt" effect my application, but "could" which I find vague. I am keen on dropping the subject, what should I do?

FYI the typical offer for my course is A*AA (maths/physics A*A required), (further maths is a preffered subjec to be your third, whilst compsci isnt)
Hi there @Javadhus - I hope you're doing okay juggling everything!

To reflect other responses to your query, if dropping the additional A-Level in CompSci would allow you to more effectively focus on excelling in your other subjects, then this looks to be the best route forward😇

I dropped my fourth A-Level in Chemistry around 4 weeks into the year as I didn't require it for my desired degree path AND I was struggling to keep on top of everything! The extra space allowed me to focus on my other subjects - especially Maths :biggrin:

Ultimately, three A-Levels are the basis for typical offers. It's best to check with each University (as you have done) though they can only advise generally. However, I'd say having three A-Levels you excel in, over four that you have struggled with, would give you the best chance for your wellbeing and achievement for future goals☺️

I hope this helps!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
Reply 4
Just don’t drop,getting an U doesn’t matter anyway. if u inform the unis before they gave u an offer, it might affect the chance of getting an offer
You have made a contract that you will be taking 4 subjects and if you dont take 4 the university would be entitled to change or cancel any offers made. Before dropping a subject get your universities agreement to avoid any problems. Alternatively dont work for the 1 subject. Offers are usually based on 3 although Imperial in a few subjects make offers on 4. As long as you sit 4 subjects the grade wont matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending