The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

lancaster uni cs

How is Lancaster uni for computer science. Is it more theoretical ie exam or more coursework based? How is the cw/exam ratio for year 2 and year 3? How does the credits system work there? I'm considering transferring for year 2.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
How is Lancaster uni for computer science. Is it more theoretical ie exam or more coursework based? How is the cw/exam ratio for year 2 and year 3? How does the credits system work there? I'm considering transferring for year 2.

Not sure about computer science, but if its anything similar to physics, its 80% exam 20% coursework. First year does not count and second year and third year is 120 credits per year.

Best thing is to go online https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ and chat to one of the computer science students there, they will be able to fill you in more :smile: You will want to filter data, computing and communications.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
You guys have semester i'm not sure about. There's like lent, Michaelmas and another one. With the credits being 7.5 each?
Reply 3
You guys have semester i'm not sure about. There's like lent, Michaelmas and another one. With the credits being 7.5 each?

My daughter studies physics there and I know the modules in physics are like broken down into credits, totalling 120 for the year, spread over the 3 terms. Michaelmas term is the 'autumn term' starting from early October and ending at mid December. Lent Term is January to March, and Summer Term is April until June. Each term last 10 weeks and you have around a month holiday in between each term.

Each modules her coursework is 20% and exam is 80%. There was one thats like 100% exam but that was to make sure the degree was accredited by the institute of physics. Coursework was things like problem sheets she had to work on each week. Its definitely worth asking the students on the link as you will probably get more joy there, unless theres a Lancaster ambassdor here on TSR that does Computer science :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm thanks! Does that mean we have 3 sets of exams one per term?

Hi Anon,

I’m not sure what the exact ratio of exam to coursework is for computer science. If you ask a computer science student here they may be able to help you.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

I lived with a computer science student during my degree and I remember him doing a variety of coursework and group projects.

The course webpage says this “Assessment varies across modules, allowing students to demonstrate their capabilities in a range of ways, including laboratory reports, essays, exercises, literature reviews, short tests, poster sessions, oral presentations, and formal examination.” https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/

Hope that helps

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Hey!
I am a second year computer science student and I'm happy to give you some insight on the questions you have posed.
It is more coursework based I would say, for each module, you will have 1-3 courseworks in the given time.
Starting year 2 - you begin part II of your degree (which combines your grades of year 2 and year 3). Mostly for the modules they are 40% cw and 60% exam, some modules might be 50-50 or 60-40 depending on the module itself. For year two it was 2 modules with 100% cw based, 4 modules with 40% cw weighted and 2 modules with 60% cw weight for me.
For the exams I would say they felt more theoretical based. It required applications of the theory they have taught.

Would you mind specifying what you mean by the credit system please? Please message me on lancaster university- ask a student page if you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Hope this helps!
Vyomika

Hey Anon! I'm in my final year as a Computer Science student and unfortunately, I can't accurately answer the cw/exam ratio question as the department has recently undergone some changes that will be implemented from the next year onwards. From my cohort's experience though, the Computer Science Group Project module in the 2nd year is 100% cw and there may be some other modules that are 100% coursework. Usually, the ratio is split into 60%:40% with coursework and exams and vice versa. However, because the department has added a handful of new modules, I'm not sure if this will stay the same.

Each module is usually 15 credits (you need to have 120 credits per year) but again, this might have changed.

Hope that helps! Don't hesitate to ask any further questions :smile:

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Thank you for the information Vyomika and Sophia! Lancaster has said they aren't taking any y2 students this year :s-smilie: . It seems as though I'm doomed to be depressed at my current uni. UCAS deadline is passing soon too.
Thank you for the information Vyomika and Sophia! Lancaster has said they aren't taking any y2 students this year :s-smilie: . It seems as though I'm doomed to be depressed at my current uni. UCAS deadline is passing soon too.

Hey!
I'm sorry to hear that but yes, these recent years have been very competitive and I understand the uni has already taken more students in than before so possibly thats why.
What about other universities like manchester, leeds, liverpool, loughborough? They are good universities with a strong computer science department too.

You could always to go a better university for masters once your undergrad is over.
Wish you best of luck!!!

Vyomika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending