The Student Room Group

Step up transformers - confusion

I know step up transformers decrease power loss by the electrical cables, but I'm not quite sure how this works....

From what I understand, step up transformers increase voltage, hence decrease current, which means less power is dissipated by the cables since P=(I^2)R.

But then couldn't you argue that since step up transformers increase voltage, then actually the power dissipated by the cables increases since P=(V^2)/R ??
Original post by onnek
I know step up transformers decrease power loss by the electrical cables, but I'm not quite sure how this works....

From what I understand, step up transformers increase voltage, hence decrease current, which means less power is dissipated by the cables since P=(I^2)R.

But then couldn't you argue that since step up transformers increase voltage, then actually the power dissipated by the cables increases since P=(V^2)/R ??

In the first formula, the current, I, is the current in the cables. Reducing this, for a particular value of R, the resistance in the cables, does indeed reduce the power loss in the cables.
In the second formula, V is not the voltage output from the transformer, V is the voltage drop along the cables. It's this voltage, across the cable resistance, that is the source of the lost power.
Original post by onnek

the higher the voltage goes, the higher the resistance the current faces in the cables, the higher the resistance, the higher chance of power loss.

hopes this helps
Reply 3
Original post by big-boss-91
the higher the voltage goes, the higher the resistance the current faces in the cables, the higher the resistance, the higher chance of power loss.

hopes this helps

Noooo!

stonybridge is right
Original post by Joinedup
Noooo!

stonybridge is right

or go for stonybridge answer, looks right! its been years since GCSE physics for me haha!

Quick Reply

Latest