The Student Room Group

Describing transformations of functions

I was doing a question which asked to describe in words the set of transformations to get from the graph of y = √x - x/4 to the graph of y = √(4x+1) - x - 1.

I wrote the answer in words but I wondered if there is a nice way to describe this using maths notation. E.g. I could say this

Let f(x) = √x - x/4
f(4x) = √(4x) - (4x)/4
Let g(x) = f(4x)
g(x+1/4) = √(4x+1) - (4x+1)/4
Let h(x) = g(x+1/4)
h(x) - 3/4 = √(4x+1) - x - 1

Can this process be written in a simpler way, without having to define three functions?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
If f is the original graph, then f(4x+1)-3/4 is the 2nd graph. But it's not really any simpler - it's just removing all intermediate steps/functions.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by 0-)
I was doing a question which asked to describe in words the set of transformations to get from the graph of y = √x - x/4 to the graph of y = √(4x+1) - x - 1.

I wrote the answer in words but I wondered if there is a nice way to describe this using maths notation. E.g. I could say this

Let f(x) = √x - x/4
f(4x) = √(4x) - (4x)/4
Let g(x) = f(4x)
g(x+1/4) = √(4x+1) - (4x+1)/4
Let h(x) = g(x+1/4)
h(x-3/4) = √(4x+1) - x - 1

Can this process be written in a simpler way, without having to define three functions?

This is incorrect.

Your h(x3/4)h(x-3/4) should read as 4x+1x+12\sqrt{4x+1} - x + \dfrac{1}{2}. I think you mean h(x)3/4h(x) - 3/4.

Define f(x)=xx4f(x) = \sqrt{x} - \dfrac{x}{4} and g(x)=4x+1x1g(x) = \sqrt{4x+1} - x - 1.

Then g(x)=f(4x+1)34g(x) = f(4x+1) - \dfrac{3}{4}.

These are 3 transformations; one stretch horizontally, one tanslation horizontally, one translation vertically.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
If f is the original graph, then f(4x+1)-3/4 is the 2nd graph. But it's not really any simpler - it's just removing all intermediate steps/functions.

Thanks, yes I just realised this was a stupid question. In my mind I thought there were times where you can't use a single function to represent multiple transformations but this question wasn't it.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
This is incorrect.

Your h(x3/4)h(x-3/4) should read as 4x+1x+12\sqrt{4x+1} - x + \dfrac{1}{2}. I think you mean h(x)3/4h(x) - 3/4.

Define f(x)=xx4f(x) = \sqrt{x} - \dfrac{x}{4} and g(x)=4x+1x1g(x) = \sqrt{4x+1} - x - 1.

Then g(x)=f(4x+1)34g(x) = f(4x+1) - \dfrac{3}{4}.

These are 3 transformations; one stretch horizontally, one tanslation horizontally, one translation vertically.

Yes that was a mistake in my post. I got the right answer when I tried the question earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest