The Student Room Group

Quadratics (C1)

Hi all,

I'm currently teaching myself C1 quadratics and pretty much undrestand it. However I'm stuck on one set of questions, as I don't think I know what it's wanting me to put in the answer... I've done factorising and completing the square which these questions have followed:

Solve the following quadratic equations. Leave surds in your answer.

(a) (x-3)^2 -3 = 0

(b) (x+2)^2 -4 = 0

Can someone work through these two questions with me so that I can have a go at the other ones?

Thanks,
Sean
Reply 1
You tried getting x on it's own?
Reply 2
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hi all,

I'm currently teaching myself C1 quadratics and pretty much undrestand it. However I'm stuck on one set of questions, as I don't think I know what it's wanting me to put in the answer... I've done factorising and completing the square which these questions have followed:

(a) (x-3)^2 -3 = 0

(b) (x+2)^2 -4 = 0

Can someone work through these two questions with me so that I can have a go at the other ones?

Thanks,
Sean

To solve a completing the square question after you've reached that step, you move the extra term to the other side of the equation then square root both sides ie

a)(x-3)^2 -3=0
(x-3)^2=3
x-3=+or-sqrt3
x=3+or-sqrt3
The same thing can be done for b
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hi all,

(a) (x-3)^2 -3 = 0

(b) (x+2)^2 -4 = 0

Thanks,
Sean

Expand the brackets , simplify then solve using your preferrred method. Factorise,formula or completing the square.
Reply 4
Original post by steve2005
Expand the brackets , simplify then solve using your preferrred method. Factorise,formula or completing the square.

It looks to me like the square has already been completed.

Quick Reply

Latest