The Student Room Group

Mathematics Quadratics

How does one solve a quadratic with powers higher than 2?
For example, this question -
Find all the real roots of the following function -
f(x) = x^6 + 9x^3 + 8
Reply 1
Original post by m_humza18
How does one solve a quadratic with powers higher than 2?
For example, this question -
Find all the real roots of the following function -
f(x) = x^6 + 9x^3 + 8

There isn't one method for finding the roots of higher degree polynomials but this particular one can be solved by thinking of it like this

(x3)2+9(x3)+8=0(x^3)^2 + 9(x^3) + 8=0

So this is a quadratic in terms of x3x^3 or you can make a substitution y=x3y=x^3 to see that more clearly:

y2+9y+8=0y^2+9y+8=0

Can you continue from here?

This is sometimes known as a hidden quadratic and you'll need to get used to spotting them.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
(Original post by Notnek)There isn't one method for finding the roots of higher degree polynomials but this particular one can be solved by thinking of it like this

So this is a quadratic in terms of x3x^3 or you can make a substitution y=x3y=x^3 to see that more clearly:

y2+9y+8=0y^2+9y+8=0

This is sometimes known as a hidden quadratic and you'll need to get used to spotting them.

I used the method you suggested - from it I got the roots of - 8 and -1, but in the answers section it mentions the answer as -2 and -1?
Reply 3
Original post by m_humza18
(Original post by Notnek)There isn't one method for finding the roots of higher degree polynomials but this particular one can be solved by thinking of it like this

y2+9y+8=0y^2+9y+8=0

I used the method you suggested - from it I got the roots of - 8 and -1, but in the answers section it mentions the answer as -2 and -1?

If you solve the quadratic you get y=8y=-8 and y=1y=-1 which is correct. But then you have to remember that y=x3y=x^3 so to finish this you have to solve

x3=1x^3=-1 and x3=8x^3=-8

Does that all make sense?
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest